The Joy of Six: football's lost talents

Thespence

1) Billy Kenny (Everton, Oldham)

When Kenny, aged 19, was the man of the match in the Premiership's first Merseyside derby, his team-mate Peter Beardsley excitedly christened him the "Goodison Gazza". If only he knew. The comparison was not gratuitous: Kenny was a midfielder blessed with sublime skill, especially in his passing, and perhaps more importantly a striking fearlessness (when Vinny Jones greeted him with a trademark early reducer, Kenny took the medicine uncomplainingly and then gave Jones a taste of it a few minutes later). But sadly the comparison to Gazza was equally relevant off the pitch: Kenny self-destructed, only much sooner. He chose not to choose life; he chose something else.

Unable to handle his newfound celebrity, he began to cross the white line on and off the pitch. "Some mornings I got home at four or five, had a couple of lines of cocaine, slept for an hour and then went to training," he said. "Sometimes I could hardly see the ball. I was a joke." He was sacked first by Everton and then by Oldham; he played his last league game at 22. But even though he only played 17 times for Everton, he still makes some fans' all-time XI.

2) Robbie Fowler (Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester City, Liverpool, Cardiff)

He might have been football's answer to Oasis: a rock 'n' roll star who burned dramatically if briefly, and who has been hanging on to the memories at the expense of dignity ever since. Fowler arrived from nowhere in the mid-90s, an irresistible fusion of streetwise swagger and instinctive talent, and a shameless homage to a sixties great (the Beatles/Jimmy Greaves, if we are to continue this already laboured comparison). He scored over 30 goals in each of the three seasons from 1994-97, but would never again reach 20. In 1995-96, in particular, he was truly sensational, terrorising the champions Manchester United (four goals in two league games, including this delicious fusion of roughhouse and arthouse) and scoring a goal of staggering quality against Aston Villa.

Many point to the obviously debilitating effects of a cruciate-ligament knee injury in 1997-98, but other factors also conspired: the emergence of Michael Owen did not help, and he suffered under the joyless regime of Gerard Houllier. Perhaps most significant is that, like Oasis, his success was inextricably linked to a combination of youth and hunger that was in intrinsically finite supply. Arguably Fowler reached the top of the mountain when he scored twice in the famous 4-3 win over Newcastle in April 1996; it was five days before his 21st birthday.

3) Nii Lamptey (Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven, Aston Villa, Coventry City, Venezia, Union de Santa Fe, Ankaragucu, Uniao Leiria, Greuther Furth, Shandong Luneng, Al Nassr, Asante Kotoko)

In footballing terms, Lamptey was the son of God. Pele anointed him in 1991, saying that Lamptey was "my natural successor" after his bewitching attacking brilliance had helped Ghana win the Under-17 World Cup. He was already playing for Anderlecht, enjoying a sensational debut season at 16, but then it started to go wrong. Unable to read, write or express himself in English, he was eaten alive in the big, bad world of unscrupulous agents. He should have been nursed like a crown jewel; instead he was tossed around like a piece of meat: overall he played in 10 countries and four continents.

His naked talent won out for a while, most notably in a splendid season at PSV Eindhoven at the age of 19, but the ill-fortune that had begun when he was abused by his parents as a child was slowly catching up with him: most tragically, two of his children died at a young age. At least this story has something resembling a happy ending: three years ago he founded the Glow-Lamp junior school, which started with one pupil and now has nearly 400.

4) Keith Gillespie (Manchester United, Wigan, Newcastle, Blackburn, Wigan, Leicester, Sheffield United)

Of all the myriad roadblocks to a promising career, a foreigner rule might just be the most perverse. In 1995, Keith Gillespie was the heir apparent on Manchester United's right wing, well ahead of a limited trier called David Beckham, and had already scored one stunning goal in a top-of-the-table clash against Newcastle. That pricked Kevin Keegan's interest, and he asked for Gillespie in part-exchange when Alex Ferguson tried to buy Andy Cole. Ferguson only agreed because of the foreigner rule, and his desperate need for England-qualified players.

The rule was scrapped a year later, but for Gillespie it was too late: away from the strict tutelage of Ferguson, he was unable to control his vices, particularly gambling. Despite sporadic glimpses of that scintillating talent (most notably when he terrorised Barcelona's Sergi in a glorious Champions League victory in 1997), he was on an inexorably downward trajectory. The same thing, of course, might have happened had he stayed at United. Or he might now be married to a Spice Girl.

5) James Will (Arsenal, Dunfermline)

The thought of a Scottish goalkeeper being the best footballer in the world might seem like the definitive contradiction. But at the 1989 Under-17 World Cup, Will was peerless among his age group: he won the Golden Ball for his performances guarding the Scottish net after they were beaten in the final by Saudi Arabia. It's a significant award - subsequent winners include Nii Lamptey, Cesc Fábregas and Anderson - and, with Will already on Arsenal's books, the future seemed mapped out. But Will could not find a way: after five seasons without a first-team game he went to Dunfermline, playing his only professional games before quitting a year later.

"I got a bit disillusioned with football," he said. He now plays for his village side, Turriff United, but his priority is not keeping his sheets clean so much as keeping the streets clean: he works as a policeman, and uses his long arm to enforce the law rather than repel opposing attackers.

6) Wayne Harrison (Oldham, Liverpool)

Harrison might be the only sportsman to retire having had more operations (23) than years (22). He was the most expensive teenager in the world, at £250,000, when Liverpool signed him from Oldham in 1985. Aged 17, he had only made five first-team appearances, but had ransacked Liverpool in an FA Youth Cup tie at Anfield. Oldham won 4-0 and the Liverpool manager Joe Fagan was given the word. "You hear reports about a special player perhaps once in 20 years," he said. "That's why we bought him."

The signing even made the nine o'clock news, but after that the only bulletins were of the medical variety. Harrison's grotesque misfortune began when he fell through a greenhouse, almost dying due to the loss of blood, and over the next few years he injured almost every part of his body. Finally, in May 1990, he shattered cruciate ligaments in his knee and that was that: he retired without playing a first-team game for Liverpool. His body was so damaged that, when he was granted a testimonial in 1992, he could not even hobble on for a cameo appearance.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/03/07/the_joy_of_six_footballs_lost.html

FURTHER READING

Nii Lamptey (Boy wonder's lost years) is at: http://football.guardian.co.uk/africannations2008/story/0,,2251652,00.html

Stan Collymore would be up there for some of the players I've seen in my lifetime. Total waste of talent. Remember that goal he scored at Old Trafford I think it was for Forest in the 94/95 season, absolutely outstanding.

Stan Collymore would be up there for some of the players I've seen in my lifetime. Total waste of talent. Remember that goal he scored at Old Trafford I think it was for Forest in the 94/95 season, absolutely outstanding.

Collymore's a good shout. There was some arrogant streak in his personality that prevented him from reaching the level that he should have.

As for the six above, I only know Gillespie and Fowler. Gillespie was never a major talent in the first place, and Fowler, for all his skill, wasn't particularly strong or quick. He had a good career, but there was always a ceiling to how much he was likely to achieve.

But even though he only played 17 times for Everton, he still makes some fans' all-time XI.

Total made up bollocks and a bit of an insult to all the great players we've had. Suppose it makes the article a bit snappier though.

Billy Kenny was a great talent, more like Steven Gerrard than Gazza, but I've never seen anyone put him near an all-time XI, he only gets talked about as a waster.

Don't agree with the bit about Keith Gillespie - the way I remember it he was awesome here for a couple of seasons. 

Him on one wing, Ginola on the other - amazing!

He wasn't awesome for a few seasons at all.  He's perfectly suited to this thread, everyone remembers the Barcelona game and maybe a few others, but they were more the exception than the rule.

That said he'd walk into our team now.

Guest Knightrider

Robbie Fowler for my money could have ended up as one of the best strikers in world football of his generation, Collymore too. Different players of course but so much natural talent. On their day they were unplayable and had all the attributes, especially Collymore.

What about Ginola? When he arrived here and started showing us just how amazingly talented he was I thought 'how the heck did we get him' and 'what the heck has he done all his career'. He had as much talent as Figo who went on to become one of the greats of his generation. Ginola however will best be remembered by Spurs fans first and foremost and sentimental Toon fans.

Of more closer to home talents, Gazza wasted his you have to say despite still having a really good career that most footballers never will experience, even good ones. He could have been a world great of his generation, rather than an English only great.

Guest Knightrider

Michael Owen

He's actually done quite well on what is a reasonable talent. He was never an exceptional talent ability wise, it was his pace and sharpness that made his talent seem more than what it was, attributes that maybe had he kept, could have made him have a much better career, but all in all he's done well out of his talent, really well. Former European player of the year, one of the highest goalscorers of all-time for his country, numerous World Cups, Captaincy of his country, medals at Liverpool and goals galore too and of course a successful but brief stint at Real Madrid. Where Owen went wrong was in his decision to leave Liverpool.

The other Everton player whose career was cut short was of course Joe Parkinson.Another player who i remember having one good season,including a great game against us at Selhurst Park for Wimbledon,Ruel Fox' debut,was Peter Fear,who just disappeared off the radar.

The other Everton player whose career was cut short was of course Joe Parkinson.Another player who i remember having one good season,including a great game against us at Selhurst Park for Wimbledon,Ruel Fox' debut,was Peter Fear,who just disappeared off the radar.

I know he was at Oxford after the Dons.

Good shout mate.

Joe Parkinson was fantastic. My favourite player when I was younger.

Liam Miller, Martin Oneil wanted to build a side around him at Celtic but lured by bright lights of Manchester never cut it at Old Trafford went to Leeds on loan and then to our friends down the road and looks like hes on his way out there too.

Kieron Dyer? Jokes aside when he was on form he was devasting. Real waste of talent, could easily have been an england regular had he put his mind to it, especiallty when Scholes looked to be on the way out.

Kieron Dyer? Jokes aside when he was on form he was devasting. Real waste of talent, could easily have been an england regular had he put his mind to it, especiallty when Scholes looked to be on the way out.

Same with Bowyer, and to a lesser extent, Alan Smith.

Same with Bowyer, and to a lesser extent, Alan Smith.

Definitely Bowyer, he was really good at leeds making those lates runs into the box, not sure about Smith though, though he was definitely a good player im not sure he had the talent to be considered potentially great.

Ronaldihno is antoher player who could be a bit of a waste. He was entirely responsible for Barcelona becoming champions agains after so many years with his outrageous talent, and even though he's still good, i think he definitely has/had the potential to be one of the worlds greatest.