How long does Keegan get...

Guest BooBoo

I don't think it was anything to do with money. Woodgate turned us down for boro before that. Spurs were on the up with a top boss and in Europe. Is that not enough? You can speculate all you want on what he was offered but you don't know it was down to money, so all we can go on is the reason Keegan gave which seems reasonable enough to me.

Not according to his dad apparently. All it would have taken was for us to have made Shearer manager. You quoted it, so I assumed you believed it:

Woodgate's father said he would have joined Newcastle if Shearer was boss.

You don't think even with a £100m transfer kitty we can convince players we are a better prospect long term than Spurs? We have sunk a long way down since Ashley took over then.

This £100m transfer kitty which we were supposed to dangle in front of Woody and his dad to persuade them to sign - you believe we should be presenting this sum to all our prospective transfer targets as a given then?

If you want 20 £5m players, I'm sure they'll be glad to sign up. If you're talking about £20m+ players, which other clubs are trying to sign too, how else are you going to persuade them to join a club which barely escaped relegation? (if we get relegated the whole discussion is moot).

It was Shearer as Keegan's number 2 fwiw.

Ahh. Fair enough then, I can see how that would turn a player's head.

Didn't Matt Jansen turn us down and sign for Blackburn instead under Freddie Shepherd? What does that say about Shepherd's inability to attract even mediocre players?

Fletcher, Hall Jnr and Shepherd. Hall Snr didn't want to sack Ardiles. According to Keegan, unless you know better  :lol:

whats the matter, does it pain you to admit a fact ?

That nasty man who hurt your little feelings..........terrible.

According to Keegan we had money to spend in January, unless you know better.

what exactly are you commenting on here, because it certainly isn't what you clipped

Where did you hear Woodgate stalled on joining Spurs over wages but after speaking with us decided to join them anyway?

Paper talk mostly, so yeah.... But he did stall for a while over signing for Spurs, and he did talk to us didn't he?

Out of interest UV, what was your opinion of Shepherd after his first full season as chairman?

Can't honestly remember. Didn't have the internet then so and was privvy to much less information about stuff. Anyway I don't specifically split the time of the previous board by who was chairman.

Also the suggestion that Woodgate chose Spurs ahead of us down to wages is misleading unless you have something concrete to back it up. Spurs are the club with a wage ceiling, and Woodgate's father said he would have joined Newcastle if Shearer was boss.

I never suggested Woodgate chose Spurs ahead of us because of wages (ie they offered more than us if that's what you meant), but if we have a £100m transfer kitty in the Summer I am pretty sure we'd be able to 1) offer him a contract he'd find hard to refuse and 2) convince him we have the ambition to overtake Spurs within a season.

we also had Keegans proven persuasional powers too.

So there must be a reason why we couldn't do it.

I don't think it was anything to do with money. Woodgate turned us down for boro before that. Spurs were on the up with a top boss and in Europe. Is that not enough? You can speculate all you want on what he was offered but you don't know it was down to money, so all we can go on is the reason Keegan gave which seems reasonable enough to me.

Not according to his dad apparently. All it would have taken was for us to have made Shearer manager. You quoted it, so I assumed you believed it:

Woodgate's father said he would have joined Newcastle if Shearer was boss.

You don't think even with a £100m transfer kitty we can convince players we are a better prospect long term than Spurs? We have sunk a long way down since Ashley took over then.

This £100m transfer kitty which we were supposed to dangle in front of Woody and his dad to persuade them to sign - you believe we should be presenting this sum to all our prospective transfer targets as a given then?

of course.

Didn't Keegan come out and say the reason the main reason he went to Spurs instead of us was because the two clubs and the player had already reached a provisional agreement before we had officially made an offer for him?

Yes. He said we tried to hijack (his words) the deal, but Woodgate had already committed to Spurs.

Or alternatively, we have no money for transfers or decent wages, and Keegan is lying through his teeth about the job he took just two weeks prior.

Yes. He said we tried to hijack (his words) the deal, but Woodgate had already committed to Spurs.

Or alternatively, we have no money for transfers or decent wages, and Keegan is lying through his teeth about the job he took just two weeks prior.

so there was no money for an alternative , having said he wanted 3 players during the window ?

Or are you blaming Keegan for poor judgement ?

Or are you happy that NUFC are unable, or unwilling, to take advantage of the fanbase and buy quality from smaller clubs than us ?

so there was no money for an alternative , having said he wanted 3 players during the window ?

Or are you happy that NUFC are unable, or unwilling, to take advantage of the fanbase and buy quality from smaller clubs than us ?

NE5 i'm critical of a manager who tells everybody who will listen that funds are available, wants to sign players, yet signs no-one 'casue he doesn't deem it prudent

the moment the shit hits the fan rumours come out that he's blaming ashley for not backing him

you've got your answer, your manager is a liar or he has no credibility....what say you?

Who said we have no money for transfers? I know I'm just arguing I think it's unlikely we have anything like £100m to spend, and how the January transfer targets and (non-)activity do more to suggest we don't than support the idea that we do.

Do you believe everything Keegan says in the press? Do you think we have £100m to spend in the Summer?

Who said we have no money for transfers? I know I'm just arguing I think it's unlikely we have anything like £100m to spend, and how the January transfer targets and (non-)activity do more to suggest we don't than support the idea that we do.

Do you believe everything Keegan says in the press? Do you think we have £100m to spend in the Summer?

when has anyone quantified what we have to spend under the new owners?

what exactly are you commenting on here, because it certainly isn't what you clipped

You were quoting something by Keegan and expecting people to take it as read yet you refuse to accept that Keegan has said that he had money to spend in January.

Fletcher, Hall Jnr and Shepherd. Hall Snr didn't want to sack Ardiles. According to Keegan, unless you know better  :lol:

as mick clipped the question and answered an imaginary one instead, here it is again.

bump.

as mick clipped the question and answered an imaginary one instead, here it is again.

bump.

I clipped the post, just like I usually do, thanks for highlighting where you expect people to accept what you quote from Keegan.  You were the same with Sir Bobby, he said something you didn't agree with so you put it down to him losing his marbles, he said something later that you agreed with and all of a sudden his marbles were restored.

bump.

What point are you trying to make about the board NE5? Just to clarify because i get the ipression you're against them.

Are you saying that they are taking us for a ride and that the board isnt going to back us in summer?

If you feel so strongly about the current board would you put your reputation on the line and make a prediction to the amount of funding we'll get this summer. After all, you've read the quotes from the chairmen, and you've been around when similar things were said so 'you know what you're talking about.'

Horror of horrors, perhaps he just didn't want to come back here!

Do you mean like when Roeder tried to bring him here and Shepherd was chairman?

Not really.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2025560,00.html

After talking to Gareth Southgate and Roeder, Woodgate opted for Boro but, much as he clearly loves his home-town club, things might just have been different had Newcastle's manager pursued him more ardently and been rather less concerned about the centre-half's suspect fitness. Yesterday Roeder explained that he would "have needed a crystal ball to know Woodgate would stay fit" and was deeply concerned about persistent injuries which ruined his two years in Madrid.

"Fair enough, that was his opinion but obviously it might have backfired on Glenn - who is a really nice bloke - a bit because I've come to Boro and stayed fit; sometimes you need to take a chance," retorted Woodgate.

NE5 i'm critical of a manager who tells everybody who will listen that funds are available, wants to sign players, yet signs no-one 'casue he doesn't deem it prudent

the moment the shit hits the fan rumours come out that he's blaming ashley for not backing him

you've got your answer, your manager is a liar or he has no credibility....what say you?

I wouldn't expect Keegan to say at this stage that the board had lied to him if it were true. I also wouldnt' expect him to walk out at this stage either, he's older and wiser and has either decided that the players are good enough, or indeed someone has let him down or really didn't know who to buy.

We know Keegan though, he want success yesterday. I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't have seem the need for at least one forward immediately and wanted to use the fanbase to capitalise, thats what he's all about, ambition and desire.

We also know that Keegan said after his first game he wanted 3 players, so it almost certainly quantifies my above comments [which in fact is what I'm basing my comments on, along with Morts comments before Xmas that the club would only be buying players for the future in the transfer window. Add his other comments that buying johnny averages in the summer was "good business" and it looks pretty obvious to me that he has so far had completly no idea at all

bump.

I clipped the post, just like I usually do, thanks for highlighting where you expect people to accept what you quote from Keegan.  You were the same with Sir Bobby, he said something you didn't agree with so you put it down to him losing his marbles, he said something later that you agreed with and all of a sudden his marbles were restored.

It's funny because it's true. mackems.gif

Not really.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2025560,00.html

After talking to Gareth Southgate and Roeder, Woodgate opted for Boro but, much as he clearly loves his home-town club, things might just have been different had Newcastle's manager pursued him more ardently and been rather less concerned about the centre-half's suspect fitness. Yesterday Roeder explained that he would "have needed a crystal ball to know Woodgate would stay fit" and was deeply concerned about persistent injuries which ruined his two years in Madrid.

"Fair enough, that was his opinion but obviously it might have backfired on Glenn - who is a really nice bloke - a bit because I've come to Boro and stayed fit; sometimes you need to take a chance," retorted Woodgate.

The difference being?

Didn't Matt Jansen turn us down and sign for Blackburn instead under Freddie Shepherd? What does that say about Shepherd's inability to attract even mediocre players?

;D It says you had to go all the way back to 1999 to find one?