Would we be in the same situation had Allardyce still been here?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disclaimer: Casual outsider opinion follows, not seen as much as you etc etc ...

I don't think you'd be in this situation with SA still in charge. Had he been kept on and backed in the January window, things may have been better, but it is hard to see how they could have been any worse. One thing is clear, though - regardless of the manager being sacked and regardless of who his replacement is, changing manager halfway through the January window is madness, absolute madness.

I struggle to recall seeing a side whose heads go down so terribly after conceding a goal as Newcastle do, and if i had to go one way or the other, I'd rate SA's ability to not lose games over KK's.

I don't think you're going to do down, but that is mainly because you've got enough points in the bank already to avoid it happening, points - ironically - won by Allardyce.

*dons tin hat*

Derby... Wigan...  etc etc etc as apposed to Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa

Just to cheer everyone up further:

For Newcastle, who have won fewer points than any other club in England’s four professional divisions in 2008, things are bad enough.

If that is correct... then oh my.

Most of the points gained by Allardyce were gotten by players who Keegan hasn't had available to him, particularly the wins. We'd never have beaten West Ham without Viduka or Everton without Emre. Or Spurs without Martins for that matter and KK has to start picking him or he's signing his own death warrant.

Disclaimer: Casual outsider opinion follows, not seen as much as you etc etc ...

I don't think you'd be in this situation with SA still in charge. Had he been kept on and backed in the January window, things may have been better, but it is hard to see how they could have been any worse. One thing is clear, though - regardless of the manager being sacked and regardless of who his replacement is, changing manager halfway through the January window is madness, absolute madness.

I struggle to recall seeing a side whose heads go down so terribly after conceding a goal as Newcastle do, and if i had to go one way or the other, I'd rate SA's ability to not lose games over KK's.

I don't think you're going to do down, but that is mainly because you've got enough points in the bank already to avoid it happening, points - ironically - won by Allardyce.

*dons tin hat*

The ability Allardyce had to not lose games did nothing against Derby away, he's the only manager who hasn't had that ability so far.  Add Reading away, Man City home and away, Pompy and Liverpool at home Blackburn, Chelsea and Wigan away.

I don't think I've missed any.

I think we'd have been in a similar position had we kept Allardyce, yes.

I don't think we'd have been in a similar position had we appointed Deschamps...or for that matter, Redknapp. Not necessarily because he's a better manager, but because I think he'd have had ready made targets and signed them in January.

Guest hodsgod

I don't think we'd have been in a similar position had we appointed Deschamps...or for that matter, Redknapp. Not necessarily because he's a better manager, but because I think he'd have had ready made targets and signed them in January.

No point in talking about Redknapp, he turned the club down, and why would Deschamps come? Instead they apointed a bottler, how long till he finds an excuse to run away, saying "I can't work in there conditions"

I'd probably go along with that, Keegan had a massive handicap as he'd had no plans for any club, get through to the summer and I think that will change big time.

*dons tin hat*

The ability Allardyce had to not lose games did nothing against Derby away, he's the only manager who hasn't had that ability so far.  Add Reading away, Man City home and away, Pompy and Liverpool at home Blackburn, Chelsea and Wigan away.

I don't think I've missed any.

True enough, but by the same measure, wins against Bolton, West Ham,  Wigan, Everton, Spurs, Birmingham.

The main point i was trying to make, though, was the madness of changing manager when you did, whoever you appointed was always going to be truly up against it.

*dons tin hat*

Spot on Brummie.

I'd probably go along with that, Keegan had a massive handicap as he'd had no plans for any club, get through to the summer and I think that will change big time.

Thing is though Mick, 12-15 years ago Keegan was a huge draw. Players in their early 20s (look at Martins, said he hadn't heard of him), won't be drawn to him now I fear.

Thing is though Mick, 12-15 years ago Keegan was a huge draw. Players in their early 20s (look at Martins, said he hadn't heard of him), won't be drawn to him now I fear.

The amount of press we have had since he arrived..... everyone who didnt already know him, certainly must know now.

The amount of press we have had since he arrived..... everyone who didnt already know him, certainly must know now.

And do you think they'll be convinced to come and play for him?

True enough, but by the same measure, wins against Bolton, West Ham,  Wigan, Everton, Spurs, Birmingham.

The main point i was trying to make, though, was the madness of changing manager when you did, whoever you appointed was always going to be truly up against it.

I'm not knocking the games he won, it's just we dropped points under him that we shouldn't have dropped and I really think the opposition Keegan has come up against would have slaughtered a team who were becoming more and more at odds with Allardyce and they were being drained of confidence like water out of a sieve.

Guest The Corner

Nope. We would have got a couple of players in in the window and be floating round 12th.

We would have picked up points at Boro/Bolton and a draw against Villa and Blackburn.

:lol:

Great reply Wullie, good to see you countered my post with solid debate. Jesus wept.

How can you offer solid debate to the idea of a point at Villa Park, given his shambolic away record up to then?

So what, one point difference? We still would have strengthened in the window, and be about 7 points up on where we are, putting us about 12th.

When he was sacked I laughed, when Keegan appointed I cried.

We missed the boat here lads.

Why would the board give money to a manager they didnt want ? Since Allardyce was sacked hes came out and said he didnt get as much money as he wanted so on so on.

I cant believe so many people voted no here, the man took apart an average team and made it shambolic, and if he was still here it would have continued to be shambolic. Arsenal would have put more past us, bolton at home would have been suicidal instead of mind numbingly boring. we wouldnt have even threatened blackburn

Keegan had been away from football longer the first time than he has been away this time.

What type of player signs for a club just because they'd heard of the manager? ???

Ginola? Albert?

They said that did they? "I've heard of Kevin Keegan so I signed?"

Maybe we should get Madonna in as manager.

We'd probably be hovering around the bottom of mid-table, under big Sam we were playing badly but we'd still pick up the odd result, he couldn't of been sacked at a worse time really...

What type of player signs for a club just because they'd heard of the manager? ???

Ginola? Albert?

They said that did they? "I've heard of Kevin Keegan so I signed?"

Maybe we should get Madonna in as manager.

Of course not, but it helped. It's all very well us saying wait until the summer and see who he brings in, let's hope he can keep us up first, and I'm not convinced.

If they meet him yes. No one can sell this club like KK, or maybe SBR, can

Of course not, but it helped. It's all very well us saying wait until the summer and see who he brings in, let's hope he can keep us up first, and I'm not convinced.

I think most of us share those concerns.

If they meet him yes. No one can sell this club like KK, or maybe SBR, can

It was a lot easier to do that last time though. After the first 2 years, it wasn't really hard to pursuade people to come here surely? Liverpool & Arsenal were going through periods of transition, Chelsea were sh*t, and apart from Man Utd & Blackburn, no-one had more money than us. Now though, there's an elite 3 or 4, and also 4 or 5 clubs just behind that, who have better sides, and the same financial clout as us.