Why can't this be us?

Guest ObaStar

Guest ObaStar

Why can we not keep Chelsea scorless or put 2 past Liverpool at Anfield. I don't get it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article893018.ece

KAYODE ODEJAYI targeted the FA Cup final after dumping holders Chelsea out on the biggest day ever for shocks at the last-eight stage.

The Barnsley striker outjumped keeper Carlo Cudicini on 66 minutes to head his first goal for SIX months.

Now the Championship strugglers will join Manchester United's conquerors Portsmouth in making a semi-final trip to Wembley.

Odejayi said: "That's the glory of the FA Cup. It's a magical tournament and this just proves it again.

"We've knocked out Liverpool and knocked out Chelsea, so who knows, it could be our year.

"After the teams we've turned over already you never know."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant admitted: "We didn't play well, especially in the first half, and all the credit to Barnsley.

"They won against Liverpool, they won against us. All credit to them and I congratulate them.

"We conceded the goal and we couldn't score.

"I am very, very disappointed and sad about this. It's an important competition."

Barnsley's non-stop battlers frustrated the Blues for long spells, Tykes star Istvan Ferenczi even hitting a post early on with a half-volley.

Chelsea were mostly limited to half-chances, although Robert Kozluk twice saved impressively from Joe Cole.

The England midfielder provided many of the Blues' liveliest moments, but drilled their best opening wide.

And, when Barnsley broke swiftly down the right, Martin Devaney whipped in a cross that Odejayi nodded home from six yards.

Chelsea's second-choice stopper Cudicini should have done far better than a meek challenge.

But Odejayi's bulky menace often troubled the Blues' rearguard.

And the Tykes deserved their luck on an afternoon when simple, old-fashioned defending thwarted the Champions League quarter-finalists.

Barnsley somehow fended off the Blues' incessant raids in the last 15 minutes.

So now Grant will be under greater pressure after two domestic cup calamities in the past month.

Tottenham outplayed Chelsea to win the Carling Cup final.

But being outbattled in the world's top domestic knockout competition by a side 36 places below them is a far more serious offence for the Blues.

Grant said: "We had a chance to do something in this competition and we didn't do it, so now we need to look forward for the league and Champions League."

Tykes chief Simon Davey crowed: "We went to Liverpool and put on a show. People said we couldn't do it again but we've only lost twice here all season and I believed we could do it.

"All the credit has got to go to the players. To take on a team like Chelsea, with the millions they've got is unbelievable.

"We had a game plan and it worked. I've never been to Wembley. I can't wait."

Desire.  Our players don't have it.

Agreed but more than that, Fitness also. These teams seem to swarm all over the opposition, closing down the space to stifle good players.

I do not think we have enough players who can move dynamically or energetically for 90mins. surely this must be the first most basic requirement before you even think about tactics or shape etc.

Doug

Guest bawsa richie

Some people are never happy, we're the only team to knock Barnsley out of a Cup this season.

:coolsmiley:

:lol: :clap2: :clap2:

Thats the old magic of the FA Cup dont see it often but when it happens form different divisions quality and class go out the window. Its why we still see endless replays of Ronnie bloody Radfords scuffed shot etc

suppose it'd be a bit dodgy to point out that in a few months it might be us, relegation contenders in the championship building every hope we have on playing the "big boys"

You're a real 'cup half full' bloke, aren't you?

Because Liverpool and Chelsea sent out their first choice keeper agaist us. not them  :cheesy:

Yeah, Reina and Cech really kept their sides in it against us, didn't they.

My fucking grandma could have kept goal against us yesterday, and she's dead.

Guest Phil K

They're in nearly as much relegation bother as us tbh.

They're not in free fall though, and their players seem to give a LOT of effort (unlike ours)

Their players aren't on a TWENTIETH of what our thieves are getting

I agree - head down determined effort can work wonders, as long as the players arent distracted by counting their obscenely bloated wages (like our lot)