Biggest Ever Newcastle Goal

James

Can someone please tell me some history behind this famous Kelly goal in 92?

We were rock bottom of Division 2 with only 2 games to play and had just lost 5 games in a row. Kelly scored a screamer at the Gallowgate End with 5 minutes to go meaning we beat Pompey 1-0. Results went our way and even though we beat Leicester 2-1 away the next week it didn't matter due to other results. In effect therefore, Kelly scored the goal that saved us from relegation to division 3 and probably administration.

Just to add to that, Micky Quinn, who before this I don't believe had ever passed to anyone else in his career whilst in the box, cushioned a lovely little header down to Ned, who volleyed it into the top corner.

Guest Novocastrian

Can someone please tell me some history behind this famous Kelly goal in 92?

We were rock bottom of Division 2 with only 2 games to play and had just lost 5 games in a row. Kelly scored a screamer at the Gallowgate End with 5 minutes to go meaning we beat Pompey 1-0. Results went our way and even though we beat Leicester 2-1 away the next week it didn't matter due to other results. In effect therefore, Kelly scored the goal that saved us from relegation to division 3 and probably administration.

I was in the Leazes end!  :frantic:

Got to be Kelly's late winner against Pompey. Loudest noise I have ever heard.

Seconded. No contest.

Has to be.

I wasn't at the game, but I had my own little bit of human drama. I'd avoided tuning into the latest scores by going out. I switched Grandstand on with 10 minutes of the match to go, and the score came up as 0-0. My heart sank because we needed to win. Then, as I was watching, the score changed on the screen to 1-0. Moments like that don't come round too often.

I think anyone who was around pre-Keegan days won't say anything else. Everything that we have achieved since, even if it wasn't rewarded with a trophy hinged on that goal. We could have been Leeds, instead we survived and King Kev used it as a launching pad to turn us into title contenders within a couple of years.

Got to be Kelly's late winner against Pompey. Loudest noise I have ever heard.

Seconded. No contest.

Has to be.

I wasn't at the game, but I had my own little bit of human drama. I'd avoided tuning into the latest scores by going out. I switched Grandstand on with 10 minutes of the match to go, and the score came up as 0-0. My heart sank because we needed to win. Then, as I was watching, the score changed on the screen to 1-0. Moments like that don't come round too often.

I was in the old Milburn paddock, almost in direct line with the line of the shot as it flew in. Was very much one of those slow motion moments where you expect a defender to get in the way or the keeper to reach across. Have never expereienced delirium like it before or since.

I was in an executive box in the East stand for that game, how the hell I got myself in there I don't know. But the sense of relief when it went in was huge, the tension was unbearable. I loved Ned, was for me one of our most important signings, sad when KK didn't give him a chance in the Prem but I guess he knew what he was doing cause he brought back Beardsley in his place and the rest is history.

Going back to the original question I think most people are wrong, but I can't answer it. I think you needed to be around at the turn of the century (meaning 1900's before someone picks up on that) or in the 20's or 50's to find that biggest goal. I think all football clubs main ambition is to win trophies and therefore by default that the biggest goal must be one which help us reach that aim.

Kelly's goal is an important one and allowed us to build a platform for future success but saying it is the most important goal ever in the history of the club, kind of belittles the acheivements of the great Newcastle teams of the past. As another point I also don't buy into the theory that it would have been the end of the club had we gone down, yes we may have gone into administration but we would have recovered, even the smoggies did, they even went on from that disaster to win the first trophy in their history.

Perhaps the thread title should be worded "biggest goal in your lifetime" as it is impossible unless your 140 or something and seen every game in the history of West End, East End and Newcastle United to give a definative answer.

What about Bob Moncour's goal away to Ujpest?

This has got to be the biggest goal because we had had our 3-0 home lead eroded to 3-2 away and they were all over us leading up to half time.

It was just a matter of time before they equalised and then kicked on to beat us, but we came out second half and won a corner straight from the kick off and Moncur banged in his third goal in the tie from the corner to make it 4-2.  Uijpest just crumbled after that and minutes later Benny Arentoft scored the equaliser again from a corner, and late on Alan Foggon ran from the half way line to wrap it all up with a third.  I think he actually hit the bar and ran in to knock it over the line as the ball dropped.  Moncurs goal is definitely the biggest because it won us a trophy.  Nothing else comes close to that!

This has got to be the biggest goal because we had had our 3-0 home lead eroded to 3-2 away and they were all over us leading up to half time.

It was just a matter of time before they equalised and then kicked on to beat us, but we came out second half and won a corner straight from the kick off and Moncur banged in his third goal in the tie from the corner to make it 4-2.  Uijpest just crumbled after that and minutes later Benny Arentoft scored the equaliser again from a corner, and late on Alan Foggon ran from the half way line to wrap it all up with a third.  I think he actually hit the bar and ran in to knock it over the line as the ball dropped.  Moncurs goal is definitely the biggest because it won us a trophy.  Nothing else comes close to that!

If you could score a goal which could win you the UEFA cup or save you from the third division which would you choose? Shades of Back to the Future here uncannily enough.

Fair play, they Kelly goal is almost certainly a bigger/more important goal in the history of the club. It would be a boring thread if everyone said the same thing though, and that was the best alternative I could come up with!

Guest Brazilianbob

If you could score a goal which could win you the UEFA cup or save you from the third division which would you choose? Shades of Back to the Future here uncannily enough.

the mackems, man city, and Villa have all come back from the old third div to take there place in the EPL, so relegation to the third was not that big a deal because clubs can and have bounced back from it.

Losing a European final is difficult to rectify because you don't know when or even if you will ever make it to a final again.

Each to his own, but for me sinking into the third tier of English football is unimagineable. Plenty of clubs have failed to come back from those depths,so I'd far rather lose some 2nd rate Euro cup final and at least live in hope that next season we could be back amongst the elite.

I'll add a vote for Kelly V Portsmouth, certainly the biggest goal in my lifetime.

Loved Ned, really did. Even when he went to play for the scum.

It was a cracking goal as well. Kelly was a technique player and that goal was symbolic in importance, timing , execution and beauty. Beat that.

Still can't believe everyone is so insular in their thinking here, that the only big goals were scored during their lifetime. Newcastle United has a wonderful history, a history of success which predates the likes of Liverpool, ManUre and Chelsea.

I'll repeat what I said previously, saying Kelly's goal, as important as it unquestionably was, is the biggest goal in the club's history, belittles the effort of those great teams. Surely there is a goal back then that ensured we would be crowned as champions of England or won the FA Cup (when it actually mean't something).

Still can't believe everyone is so insular in their thinking here, that the only big goals were scored during their lifetime. Newcastle United has a wonderful history, a history of success which predates the likes of Liverpool, ManUre and Chelsea.

I'll repeat what I said previously, saying Kelly's goal, as important as it unquestionably was, is the biggest goal in the club's history, belittles the effort of those great teams. Surely there is a goal back then that ensured we would be crowned as champions of England or won the FA Cup (when it actually mean't something).

all well and good saying that, but name a bigger goal then.

I still think it was THE MOST IMPORTANT GOAL - if we'd gone down to the 3rd Division we'd never have come back

Tosh to be honest. There is plenty of evidence from other clubs who are smaller in stature or as big. Such as Man City, Middlesboro, and the Mackems, to set as an example that it is far from certain reality of going down to the 3rd div.

In fact I struggle to think of an example of a similar size club that fell to the 3rd level and not come back. Wolves perhaps haven't ever regained their stature but they are back in a position we found ourselves in back then anyway despite their past success they were never the size of club Newcastle is or was. Forest had great success on the pitch under cloughie back in the 70's and 80's but anyone who thinks they are or  have ever been a 'big' club, is sadly mistaken. Leeds are down there at the moment but they'll be back in a few years.

You have to factor in the uniqueness that NUFC is, we are a one club city in one of England's biggest cities, a city which is also very much a football city, we've probably got the biggest imediate catchment area of any club in the country. We have a glorious history and are rightly (even back then) one of the biggest names. To think that NUFC would not be around in some shape of form is quiet frankly absolutely ridiculous.

all well and good saying that, but name a bigger goal then.

I can't as I said before, I wasn't around, I would have to do some research, which unfortunately I don't have time to do.

My problem really is with the title of the thread, nobody really can say what the biggest goal ever was but what we can say is what was the biggest goal we've witnessed in our lifetime. For me that would actually be Cantona's goal against us in 'that' season, if we had won or even drew that game (as we should have becasue we battered them, damn Schmichael !), I'm convinced we would have went on to win the championship. For the biggest goal we've scored, that I have witnessed, I would probably plump for Ned's goal too as being the catalyst to the roller coaster ride we are on now.

David Kelly no contest. As been said in other threads.

I was in the Gallowgate in line from where he shot; flew in. Unbelievable relief, we were as good as down until it went in.

I was on the lash on a weekender for the Leicester game, it was fairly certain by HT that we would be ok & the winner in injury time just capped it off (caught it live in the betting shop).