Toon Ultras

Guest HyDrO

Guest toon_craig

Hi lads,

I work for a rival Newcastle site of yours, (i wont say who because it might be deemed as advertising). And i would like to know why you fail to support the Ultras, i myself am a registered member of the website and soon hopefully plan to travel to a few games with them.

From what i have seen/heard they are the only people inside SJP on a matchday creating new songs, and trying to get the old atmosphere back into the ground. Our website will soon start to advertise the Ultras, and try to give them the support they need.

I feel you should also do the same, if you really care about the atmosphere you would give the Ultras a chance and try to build on what they have got.

Criticising the Ultras in my opinion will do nothing good for the atmosphere, but joining and building on the Ultras will do something good.

The chav problem could easily be sorted, when they start to sing daft songs... sing over them, this will then cause a 'singing war' between the stands... which in actual fairness will sort out the noise problem.

There are chavs in every town, and there are chavs that go to every ground on a Saturday afternoon. Other clubs deal with it... why cant we!?

Anyway, i hope this has some-what persuaded you a bit more to get involved with the Ultras :thup:

Guest smoggeordie

I fucking hate that "ate sunlun" chant more than I hate the scruffy bastards themselves.

i dont like the chant but fucking despise s*nderland

I'm more concerned about my own club than Championship nobodies.

Hi lads,

I work for a rival Newcastle site of yours, (i wont say who because it might be deemed as advertising). And i would like to know why you fail to support the Ultras, i myself am a registered member of the website and soon hopefully plan to travel to a few games with them.

From what i have seen/heard they are the only people inside SJP on a matchday creating new songs, and trying to get the old atmosphere back into the ground. Our website will soon start to advertise the Ultras, and try to give them the support they need.

I feel you should also do the same, if you really care about the atmosphere you would give the Ultras a chance and try to build on what they have got.

Criticising the Ultras in my opinion will do nothing good for the atmosphere, but joining and building on the Ultras will do something good.

The chav problem could easily be sorted, when they start to sing daft songs... sing over them, this will then cause a 'singing war' between the stands... which in actual fairness will sort out the noise problem.

There are chavs in every town, and there are chavs that go to every ground on a Saturday afternoon. Other clubs deal with it... why cant we!?

Anyway, i hope this has some-what persuaded you a bit more to get involved with the Ultras :thup:

We tried I went over to the site and offered full support if they actually planned what they were going to do and I thought it would go well. Couple of people said great loads of charvs on the board said we don't want N-O to help we hate N-O so fine I thought and left, havn't been back since.

Hi lads,

We tried I went over to the site and offered full support if they actually planned what they were going to do and I thought it would go well. Couple of people said great loads of charvs on the board said we don't want N-O to help we hate N-O so fine I thought and left, havn't been back since.

So people who don't agree with you are labelled charvs? Ok then. :roll:

Most didn't agree with you because of the fact that you proposed to help us if we changed the ultras from concentrating on level 7, to try and get the whole of SJP singing. Thats good in theory but we wouldn't of been to succeed at all, our numbers are too low, also the fact that last time HTT came on he tried to exploit us to promote the Hitzfeld campaign, which was replied to with a lot of abuse. That mistrust created then would of played a part to not wanting your help.

Hi lads,

Most didn't agree with you because of the fact that you proposed to help us if we changed the ultras from concentrating on level 7, to try and get the whole of SJP singing. Thats good in theory but we wouldn't of been to succeed at all, our numbers are too low, also the fact that last time HTT came on he tried to exploit us to promote the Hitzfeld campaign, which was replied to with a lot of abuse. That mistrust created then would of played a part to not wanting your help.

Your "charver" problem could be dealt with by someone's excellent idea of introducing a loose 'dress code' for your group (i.e. jeans and toon-top), there's too much burberry and fake 'designer' coats to entice me over to join in - I feel out of place and uncomfortable about singing when a load of shaven headed, trackie bottom wearing 'lads' are glaring at me for coming up with a witty ditty. Funnily enough, I don't normally get that response in the quieter areas of the ground.

In principle I fully support your aim to bring back the noise (whats wrong with that name btw?) but there's too much flak attatched to "ultras" and you don't seem to have a very obvious plan/principle.

Most Ultras do wear jeans and the likes to matches, as do i, however the people up there for a piss take are thought of as Ultras, which is really damaging our image. There's been an idea proposed, to move a block or two away from them, which could work well, but the fact that we are probably out numbered by the piss takers will be a massive problem. Also they may just follow the noise, and come stand next to us, which also could deter this plan from working.

Are the fuckers who stand at the back of the Gallowgate also Toon Ultras or is it just L7? I don't mind the people in L7 as they seem to be doing a good job but the tits who stand in the Gallowgate and sing 'Shearer is a legend' every 5 minutes get right on my nipple ends. Do they understand he's retired and doesn't play for us anymore? Wankers.

We are nothing to do with the Gallowgaters. I didn't see or hear them from up in level 7. Was it just full of charvs, and how many do you think were there ?

About 60-70 charva's singing the most unimaginative songs ever. They were there for the Ventspils game aswell so I don't know whether they're an organised group or it was just luck that 60+ cretins decided to sit in the same place, two games in a row.

For the two intertoto games there was no designated place for the Ultras, but a few decided to stand at the back of the Gallowgate, and as we made noise, more and more Charvs came and stood up there, as said they follow the noise. Sorry mate, could be our fault they are there.

Guest Knightrider

Hi lads,

Firstly, there are no "rival sites", at least we certainly don't look at fellow Toon sites as rivals and secondly N.O has not "failed to support" Toon Ultras.

We once offered to buy them a domain, build them a website and host them, under Toon Ultras and BBTN. Over the years we've had many nameless and faceless people from Toon Ultras/BBTN say "can you help"? We say sure, but we want to see some plans: who are you, what are you about, who runs things etc. but that hasn't been followed up and we don't know who we're dealing with, even to this day. You can't expect us to chase these things up, we have our own site and lives to run.

As it stands N.O's policy towards Toon Ultras is that we recognise them but will not promote them because fankly we think they are badly organised, mismanaged and of no relevance whatsoever to the majority of our readers/members at current and I imagine thousands of other fans too.

Mention Toon Ultras and the reaction is usually a negative one.

Their attitude stinks and they could badly do with some leadership and brains on board. Some of the reactions from TU members in this thread alone, stinks.

We have offered to help in any way we can and that offer still stands but not if the reaction to criticism (constructive criticism) keeps being met with the attitude we have experienced in the past and displayed in this thread. ToonTastic didn't leave your forum because he disagreed with a few of you, he just found your attitude offputting. You asked him for his advice, he offered it and you kind of said "nah, not for us" and then you accused N.O of wanting to take over, that we are full of foreigners anyway (great fucking attitude that) and to basically fuck  ourselves.

Some of the lads at TU are good lads like Tanzo and Tim, Pav, Allmo, JR but you have some knackers on board.

Anyway, as already stated I applaud your efforts and passion for the club which cannot be denied or knocked but seriously fellas, if you want to get somewhere with this you need to listen, accept criticism, look at things from a wider perspective and above all else, get organised and smarten up. If you want to convince fans who see you as an irritant or a joke as many do (harshly I might add because you're not that bad), then you need to become far more professional.

The biggest issue many seem to have with Toon Ultras is the knackers that associate themselves with you - the charvs. You have to ask yourself why is that? Are you blameless? What can be done to change things?

The other issue is the name, rightly or wrongly and I think this will always be a bone of contention with people, one that won't go away and you have to ask yourself here: what is more important - the message or the name? The name being Ultras, the message being "we want to improve the atmosphere and we want you to be a part of it".

If yous just accepted criticism and advice for what it is you'd get yourselves a lot further in quicker time but as things stand there seems to be an exclusivity about TU and that is fine if you want to remain a small club of friends but don't then question others who aren't a part of TU why they don't come along or in wor case, why people don't link to you.

If I was to get involved with a campaign to improve the atmosphere I would target everyone, of all ages, sex, and seat number. That is why BBTN appealed to so many and got a great press and reception from fans who were behind it. It wasn't an exclusive club but rather an awareness and initiative campaign, 1 to make people aware of the poor  atmopshere and 2 to kick start ways to improve it.

You have to remember not everyone wants to sing, not everyone wants to stand with a predominantly younger element of fans, hell not everyone wants to stand, some can't.

I doubt the club will ever officially accept Toon Ultras either and the more bad press you get and the more reports to Stewards, the more they'll look to stamp on you and your little get togethers.

Just my thoughts anyway, good luck and all that.

Guest Knightrider

BTW why do people find the Shearer songs so bad? I'd rather fans chanted about the current lot like but I'm not fussed if people want to sing about Shearer. No-one ever said stop singing about O'Brien(s), Clarkie etc. If we were doing well and Shepherd didn't have this whole Geordie issue thing I doubt anyone would care which tells me it isn't the chanting itself people have an issue with in which case, stop being miserable bastards man.

He's a Toon legend and if bits of bairns want to sing about him let them. All through the Lillestrom and PSV games the bairn was chanting "hey hey Shearer", is that wrong?

Fuck me.

We are far too self conscious and critical of ourselves. You still hear Keano ehcoing around Old Trafford or from the away end when Man Utd are on the road.

This is probably why there is no atmosphere because singing is "silly" and "for bairns", we're too "cool" for that. Same with shoes off etc. which aye, it is silly and daft but fuck me, so is paying 40 quid for a ticket to be told to sit down by some nob jockey, may as well make the most of it, no?

Nowt worse than football snobs.

have the toon ultras made any noise in league games yet or is it still just on european nights when no one's there?

How could the Ultras make a significant contribution to the noise level at League games when the Majority of Level 7 is seated with season ticket holders, most of which arent members of the site, or don't care about the atmosphere? I think the original question was how did the Ultras get on last night... but thanks for your input.

And that's one of the things I find annoying about the "Ultras". The we're-the-only-ones-that-care-about-the-atmosphere-aren't-we-great attitude. Which manifests itself in the barracking of those that won't join in with every chant that they start.

we don't think that!!! we are the only ones attempting to get the atmosphere back. you lot take the piss but you're doing **** all about it are you?

Hmmmm.....first sentence slightly contradicted by second and third sentences.

Just a little  :lol:

The 'your support is f'kin shit' efforts perhaps would have been better directed at those not even at the game. Having paid the cash to attend and pulled off a mad dash to get into town in time, I was a bit pissed off to hear that to say the least.

BTW why do people find the Shearer songs so bad? I'd rather fans chanted about the current lot like but I'm not fussed if people want to sing about Shearer. No-one ever said stop singing about O'Brien(s), Clarkie etc. If we were doing well and Shepherd didn't have this whole Geordie issue thing I doubt anyone would care which tells me it isn't the chanting itself people have an issue with in which case, stop being miserable bastards man.

He's a Toon legend and if bits of bairns want to sing about him let them. All through the Lillestrom and PSV games the bairn was chanting "hey hey Shearer", is that wrong?

Fuck me.

We are far too self conscious and critical of ourselves. You still hear Keano ehcoing around Old Trafford or from the away end when Man Utd are on the road.

This is probably why there is no atmosphere because singing is "silly" and "for bairns", we're too "cool" for that. Same with shoes off etc. which aye, it is silly and daft but fuck me, so is paying 40 quid for a ticket to be told to sit down by some nob jockey, may as well make the most of it, no?

Maybe it's more a case of being annoyed that it gets chanted 10 times a game?

The 'your support is f'kin shit' efforts perhaps would have been better directed at those not even at the game. Having paid the cash to attend and pulled off a mad dash to get into town in time, I was a bit pissed off to hear that to say the least.

Was that not being directed towards the Estonians?

Not at all, but charvs are pretty easy to spot

We wanted a plan that was all we were happy to advertise where you were sat and to try and promote it but if it was just going to stop at that and you had no plans to make it bigger then whats the point. I would rather improve the atmosphere throughout st james rather than just level 7 during the cup games. You admint your numbers are to low, the reason is because there is no plan no structure just a few people argreeing to sit in the same seats and sing songs together. Not exactly a campaign to improve the atmosphere now is it.

As for what HTT might have done I had nothing to do with that or really any of the Hitzfeld campaign so not sure why that would have had anything to do with what I came to the site (after being invited) and said.

I think there are a few issues with the Toon Ultras.

There's the charver element - as already covered. A lot of the TUs might not be charvers, but they're in the same area.

Secondly, I think people are put off by the age factor. The TUs tend to be quite young, and a lot of people don't want to be seen to be in a group with a bunch of kids. I don't mean that to be insulting, just fact. I think that if the TUs are around for a while, then things will change as the TU members get older, and perhaps they will then be able to attract a broader age group.

Another problem, again already mentioned is that they're up there in Level 7 and are only there for the cup games. Now, I know not everyone has a season ticket or can get to the league games etc, but it limits them to the cup games in L7, where as the problem is throughout SJP and in all games - league and cup. So while I support their stance to create a better atmosphere, they're quite limited.

I think the problem with any group that wants to create a better atmosphere in SJP is that everyone is dispersed throughout the stadium, due to the season tickets. If a group is to achieve that aim, then it needs to have a large number of members to be regulars, and it also needs to be very well organised, perhaps trying to have a few known members in each part of the ground, who will start and join in with the singing and hopefully get things going amongst others. One of the worst things is when someone starts singing and no one joins in or maybe one person does.

We have a MASSIVE problem with the songs. They're stale and predictable. We use the same songs and tunes that every other team sings. I think that PEOPLE ARE BORED WITH THE SONGS. It's not just us, it's everyone, churning out the same shite time and time again, changing only player names etc. Songs used to be witty and funny. 15 years ago when I went to the match as a kid, I used to piss myself laughing at some of the songs. Even the old ones from the 70s and early 80s were good, because they were funny. We've lost that. What songs do we, or anyone else for that might have that are funny? None.

We need to come up with that, and that's where some organisation would come in handy, to come up with some and to have several people in each area to get them going. If people heard some songs that were witty and made them laugh, they'd be more inclined to join in. I know myself that singing some of the songs feels like a chore. I think to myself oh, not this again.

I would like to get something going, with some proper organisation and commitment amongst regular matchgoers (though I'm not excluding anyone - the last thing I want is some season ticket holder only eletist club), and I'd like a good mixture of ages as well.

Was that not being directed towards the Estonians?

Equally as desperate if it was.

Guest Gemmill

I've heard that the Toon Ultras are actually a gay strip troupe who are trying to break into the singing world.  Anyone else heard this?  Interesting if true.

Guest BooBoo

We're the Ultras responsible for the horrific "We support our local team!" yesterday? Howay man, do you really think Man Utd gave a monkeys. In my (granted limited) away experiences last season, the away fans seem much more intent on winding the home fans up rather than supporting the lads. Case example the mass chanting of "Gary Glitters red and white army" at Boro. Was amusing for the first few minutes but was done to death. There were also gangs of charvers roaming round Anfield singing "in your Liverpool slums". Pretty dismal really.

Fuck me.

This is probably why there is no atmosphere because singing is "silly" and "for bairns", we're too "cool" for that. Same with shoes off etc. which aye, it is silly and daft but **** me, so is paying 40 quid for a ticket to be told to sit down by some nob jockey, may as well make the most of it, no?

I wouldn't mind if they sung it once or twice a game like ManUre do with Cantona and Keane but every five minutes is fucking daft! It was only broken up by the 'Stand up if you hate Sun'lund' chants which is equally embarrasing. I'm all for singing and chanting at games but I refuse to sing certain songs because i'm not getting lumped with the Tracksuit bottom wearing morons.