Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

All our midfield was poor with Geremi being the best of a bad lot, although his set pieces were gash. Our midfield is a joke, hopefully Emre will be back for the weekend as he gives us a hint of creativity rather than graft and shit passing like Butt and Barton

Well played Michael Owen! He was all over the park in the 2nd half and led by example.

Based on tonight's performance I'm convinced we'll roll Fulham over on Saturday to alleviate the pressure, and then we can go on to secure survival this season.

Quite pleased with that.

One of the very few times this season we've gone behind in a game and not folded completely. As so often has been the case this season, we had to go and take the game to a team. And rather than look hopelessly inept at it, we actually played decent stuff at times and deserved our point.

I think the 3 strikers did well considering it was the first time they've gone out as a trio. We started with Martins trying to join in from the left mostly but when it became clear this wasn't working he took a more advanced role and Owen dropped into a much deeper role, almost playing as an attacking midfielder much of the time.

Butt was the best of the midfielders IMO, really got into the game very well. Still plays way too many ambitious passes that he simply doesn't have the talent to execute for me, but did his job from a defensive perspective very well. Also was the one who absolutely hatcheted Larsson, taking their best midfielder out of the game, which was handy. Geremi was tidy but his final ball really let him down all game. Barton worked hard but more or less sucked going forward, quite frankly. Still, Birmingham struggled to get a foothold most of the game and these 3 were key in that.

If Emre is fit on Saturday I'd have him in for one of Geremi or Barton, would give that middle trio a nicer balance with a natural leftie on that side.

That Zarate looks like he could end up being a tidy little player for Birmingham, seen him come on as a sub a couple of times and he's looked decent.

Can't underestimate how much I hated the 4-3-3 formation tonight.

So many round pegs in square holes the players really struggled in the system with the lack of width, movement and options when in possession we had to fire so many long awful aimless high balls giving away possession time and time again it was like Allardyce had returned to pick the team for the night.

With the return of Keegan I thought at least he would pick a consistent 4-4-2 system, players would finally get there chance to play in there best positions and be given a consistent and fair run in the team with us then starting to create some strong partnerships in the side something thats vital for any good side but most of all get the players would get there chance to go and play some form of enjoyable good football all something that could never of happened in a Allarydice regime.

If we are actually going to win the vital 5 games for us to stay up then Keegan needs to return his philosophies that made him successful not that disgusting form of football we saw tonight. 

im sorry but we were s***

Yes, perhaps you're failing to take into account the fact that we are, in general, quite shit.

What are you expecting from this lot of players?

Yes, perhaps you're failing to take into account the fact that we are, in general, quite s***.

im expecting them to pick a pass.... and deliver it ... competantly

So many round pegs in square holes the players really struggled in the system with the lack of width, movement and options when in possession we had to fire so many long awful aimless high balls giving away possession time and time again it was like Allardyce had returned to pick the team for the night.

With the return of Keegan I thought at least he would pick a consistent 4-4-2 system, players would finally get there chance to play in there best positions and be given a consistent and fair run in the team with us then starting to create some strong partnerships in the side something thats vital for any good side but most of all get the players would get there chance to go and play some form of enjoyable good football all something that could never of happened in a Allarydice regime.

If we are actually going to win the vital 5 games for us to stay up then Keegan needs to return his philosophies that made him successful not that disgusting form of football we saw tonight. 

With Milner out and Damien Duff being exposed as an impostor in Premier League football, we didn't have the players necessary to play the 4-4-2 effectively tonight though.

This is Allardyce's squad at the end of the day, and Keegan has to put out the best team he can now if we're going to avoid relegation. Sure the system wasn't perfect tonight but it was an eternity better than the psychopathically defensive, negative teams we've been sending out in away games this season under Allardyce. We were actually set up to have a bit of a go and while it wasn't ideally balanced, we did OK at a very difficult place to go.

When Keegan can build his own team, you'll see a lot more width. That you can be assured of.

Yes, perhaps you're failing to take into account the fact that we are, in general, quite s***.

im expecting them to pick a pass.... and deliver it ... competantly

Come on man. Players confidence is shot to shit.

One step at a time. We got a point and move on to Fulham. Get 3 at home to them on Saturday and we will begin to see the players basic technical ability getting back to normal standards

I dont want to make excuses for them because I get frustrated at the lack of basic skill as much as anyone, but the lack of confidence has to be taken into consideration. Also coupled with a huge fear factor tonight - dont under-estimate the pressure on them out there tonight

With Milner out and Damien Duff being exposed as an impostor in Premier League football, we didn't have the players necessary to play the 4-4-2 effectively tonight though.

This is Allardyce's squad at the end of the day, and Keegan has to put out the best team he can now if we're going to avoid relegation. Sure the system wasn't perfect tonight but it was an eternity better than the psychopathically defensive, negative teams we've been sending out in away games this season under Allardyce. We were actually set up to have a bit of a go and while it wasn't ideally balanced, we did OK at a very difficult place to go.

When Keegan can build his own team, you'll see a lot more width. That you can be assured of.

will it matter when we're playing stoke?

All depends if they get promoted tbh... :rolleyes:

It's difficult for Keegan to find a formation that fits the lopsided and disjointed squad he's inherited. I was pleased to see Keegan play the 3 best footballers we have at the club in Owen, Viduka and Martins.

Martins' lack of discipline means that he gets sucked inside when he should be hugging the touchline as a right or left winger. Martins has all of the attributes that should enable him to work as an effective winger, especially on the right side where he could cut in field on to his left peg for a shot at goal, but he's also got the pace to get to the byline and his right foot's good enough to deliver a decent cross.

OK, so what do you suggest then?

Other than the plan of passing the ball competantly, of course.

Guest bobblyrage

Upfront; Only nice plays were between Owen and Martins, they are certainly a poor combination up front in terms of physical ability, but they are by far and away our best footballers. I'm actually tempted to stick with 4-3-3, in the hope those pair continue and Viduka gains some form, he has been out for a good while.

Its hard to see what we can do in midfield. Nicky Butt scraps, tackles, works hard and actually seems to have the stomach for a fight but has poor distribution. Geremi at least kept the ball once we had it, but is too immobile, particularily in the 2nd half, I dont rate him as badly as many fans, but just think its very hard to justify two players as slow as Geremi and Butt in the middle.

Barton is a massive liability, not sure if mentioned, but did anyone notice how much we improved in the 2nd half  when all attacks came through the middle or right? Barton was shocking on the ball and Enrique seemed to be attemptng quick early balls to Martins, but with  no accuracy or control - the pair of them got us raped first half. I wonder whether Keegan had a word and ordered Enrique to pass short and inside second half and Barton to hide?

Defence just scares the shit out of us all.