Keegan, sentiment, reality.

brummie

It's hard to say until we see what kind of team he puts together over the summer.

We probably could have got someone better, but at the end of the day I honestly feel we got a manager who is better than our previous three.

From that viewpoint I was okay with it.

I wonder how highly rated Deschamps is in Italy right now? I don't think Juventus were too sad to see him go.

Deschamps got them promoted but then left beause the guys upstairs wanted to sign players he didn't want.

I wonder how highly rated Deschamps is in Italy right now? I don't think Juventus were too sad to see him go.

Deschamps got them promoted but then left beause the guys upstairs wanted to sign players he didn't want.

They weren't that impressive in Serie B either.

A very interesting and well thought-out topic, Brummie..

My own views were mixed - remembered his first spell as manager with great fondness but felt that perhaps the hard-line tactical shrewdness and cold-hearted steely determination demonstrated by the likes of Fergie and Wenger was missing - possibly because he is basically an honest guy, which is a sad indictment on Football and life itself.

This is possibly even a more difficult challenge than he faced in 1992 because he DID have some decent players(by then-First Division standards)to work with ; the likes of Kelly, Peacock etc plus very promising youngsters like Watson & Elliott..this time, he has a much less promising basis on which to survive and build a new side, plus the fact that he is 15 years older and has suffered some bad setbacks in his managerial career.

I hope & pray(for the club's sake, esp the fans) that he succeeds in keeping us up, but there are no guarantees ; the next few games are critical - if we stay up, I reckon he WILL improve the side, but not as successfully as he did from 93-97..those days are gone as there is now too much competition.

If we stay up, I reckon he will serve out his 3 years then leave as he will then be 60 - if he leaves us in a healthy spot with European football, his second spell as manager will have been a success in today's game.

It would be sad for the memory of his first period in charge to be sullied by failure or relegation but football is an unforgiving game.

I definitely want a younger ambitious manager next time, as we will not be able to get the top liners.

Guest Man in Black

As an outsider looking at Newcastle, i personally think you lot made the wrong choice. Keagan has been manager of a few clubs and his country, and one hing remains consistant. He never actually won anything. Yes, hehas come close, yes, his teams have played decent football, but he is man who, in myhonest opinion, lacks what it takes to win things at the highest level as a manager.

A man who would have been ideal for you, and i know for a fact that you spoke to him and he was very interested was Gerard Houllier. He would have dragged your club by the scruff of the next up the table, he would have made you a team to be feared, a hard team to beat, and more importantly than that he would have won trophies. Keagan wont win anything with you, he wasnt able to do it before the mega bucks ofthe Champions league came into play, he certainly wont do it now.

As an outsider looking at Newcastle, i personally think you lot made the wrong choice. Keagan has been manager of a few clubs and his country, and one hing remains consistant. He never actually won anything. Yes, hehas come close, yes, his teams have played decent football, but he is man who, in myhonest opinion, lacks what it takes to win things at the highest level as a manager.

A man who would have been ideal for you, and i know for a fact that you spoke to him and he was very interested was Gerard Houllier. He would have dragged your club by the scruff of the next up the table, he would have made you a team to be feared, a hard team to beat, and more importantly than that he would have won trophies. Keagan wont win anything with you, he wasnt able to do it before the mega bucks ofthe Champions league came into play, he certainly wont do it now.

You've clearly done your research and know the man inside out.

Guest Man in Black

same difference. point still stays the same no matter how he spells his name

You're being a bit too negative for my liking.

He will make us competitive again I have no doubts.

Winning things is harder now...So what?

same difference. point still stays the same no matter how he spells his name

Fair point.

We'll see. It's far too early to judge Keegan though and Houllier would have struggled with the current crop of players we have too. The thing with Keegan though is that the only club he's managed that actually had the potential to win things was Newcastle (at the time Man City weren't in that bracket) and he was unlucky not to do so here first time round. Maybe we won't win anything but the team he took over were light years away from having that capability anyway.

Guest Man in Black

so what? if he couldn't win things before with a transfer budget comparable to anyone in the league, i seriously doubt he will win anything now

Guest Man in Black

We'll see. It's far too early to judge Keegan though and Houllier would have struggled with the current crop of players we have too. The thing with Keegan though is that the only club he's managed that actually had the potential to win things was Newcastle (at the time Man City weren't in that bracket) and he was unlucky not to do so here first time round. Maybe we won't win anything but the team he took over were light years away from having that capability anyway.

Houllier is one of the most tactically astute men in the game. Keegan is not. Houllier would have you playing to your strengths, keegan doesnt.

so what? if he couldn't win things before with a transfer budget comparable to anyone in the league, i seriously doubt he will win anything now

Football doesn't work like that.

Anyone in the top 8 (and beyond) in the current standing have the ability to win something. Spurs a case in point.

Houllier is one of the most tactically astute men in the game. Keegan is not. Houllier would have you playing to your strengths, keegan doesnt.

Oh give over man. You'd need a miracle worker to get much more out of that lot. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how 'tactically astute' you are. Nothing against Houllier though, who is a good manager.

Can you give me the lotto number as well? Your crystal ball gazing seems to be quite good...

What I find funny is that over a long time the media and other fans are labelling Newcastle fans as fickle and too demanding. Then a manager comes people actually trust in and now it's other people branding him right from the start or at least after a couple of weeks already as failure and wrong appointment. Nobody knows if it's going to work out (again). But there wouldn't have been any guarantees with other managers as well.

Can you give me the lotto number as well? Your crystal ball gazing seems to be quite good...

What I find funny is that over a long time the media and other fans are labelling Newcastle fans as fickle and too demanding. Then a manager comes people actually trust in and now it's other people branding him right from the start or at least after a couple of weeks already as failure and wrong appointment. Nobody knows if it's going to work out (again). But there wouldn't have been any guarantees with other managers as well.

People also need to consider he might be a lot stronger mentally now.

A lot of people have really bought into the idea that Keegan is nothing more than a cheque-book manager whose teamtalk will consist of little more than "Alright lads, go out and get at them and enjoy yourself."

Maybe he's not the greatest tactician of all-time, but he's no mug either, not by any means.

I think that in a sense he was exactly what we needed. The club had generally lost the fans to an extent with the previous 3 managers, there needed to be something done.

Some people are still tearing into Keegan, a bonafide club legend, now for what's happened so far. Can you imagine what it would have been like if it were Redknapp or Deschamps who'd come in and had a terrible start?

I'd expect he'll get significant funds in the summer if we beat the drop, and next year I'd expect us to be an exciting team who'll finish somewhere upper mid-table.

Can he take us to the next level? I'm not sure. But he'll leave a hell of a lot easier job for the next guy to take over.

Very few managers are going to going to win things ever again. Thats the way it is in modern football with a fortuitious League or FA cup run about as much as most can hope for. That doesn't make them bad managers.

Challenging for things and qualifying for Europe consistently should be considered "winning" nowadays, or at least success, and Keegan certainly did that. If he can avoid the drop this season and build and move on then he is certainly capable of taking us back to that level.

This is the difference between you as an outsider and us. You are looking at winning cups, we are first of all looking to get back in a position of challenging the leading clubs again. You don't need fantastic tactical awareness to do that, just a good chairman with money, and a manager who will buy good players. When we get there, we'll look at it again.

Guest Man in Black

This is the difference between you as an outsider and us. You are looking at winning cups, we are first of all looking to get back in a position of challenging the leading clubs again. You don't need fantastic tactical awareness to do that, just a good chairman with money, and a manager who will buy good players. When we get there, we'll look at it again.

All fair enough, but Spurs brought in Ramos, a proven winner, City bring in Sven, another manager with an excellent track recordin club football, Villa bring in O'Neill, a man who has won cups and Championships. Newcastle bring in Keegan that seems to be a decision based purely on sentiment.

Business decision.

Settle the fans, keep up the interest, ride the (non-existent) honeymoon period into solid season ticket sales and merchandising for 08/09.

Low risk due to the high likelihood of him leaving if things start to fuck up and meanwhile draw 'expertise' around the board to contingency plan the future.

Consumer marketing at its finest.

All fair enough, but Spurs brought in Ramos, a proven winner, City bring in Sven, another manager with an excellent track recordin club football, Villa bring in O'Neill, a man who has won cups and Championships. Newcastle bring in Keegan that seems to be a decision based purely on sentiment.

Not really. We brought in Dalglish and Souness previously, who had a track record of winning trophies and they were disastrous appointments. With Keegan we know we will play good, entertaining football, hopefully be challenging for Europe again, and enjoying it. Anything after that will be a bonus compared to the shite we've had to put up with over the last 10 years.

Guest hodsgod

One major reason I think Keegan wont be as fortunate this time is the fact that many teams have money today. Since John Hall put money into the club allowing BUFC to compete with the best, many more clubs now have similar backers. Even Citeh.

Most people realise Keegan is not a tactician, and given there are more clubs with cash available ,I dont see him having the same impact.

Guest BillyRay Valentine

worth revisiting this article i reckon:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/10/31/on_second_thoughts_kevin_keega.html

for all his faults kegga understands the purity and beauty of football that so many players and managers these days seem to have forgotten. people take the p*ss out of his soccer circus but thats what he does best, puts enjoyment and fun into the game, something that appears to have got lost in translation of football into today's greedy, bloated leviathon.

whether he can do it again remains to be seen, but there are tentative signs to be positive - i for one dearly hope he keeps his sh*t together and exercises a few of his demons this time round. if anyone deserves a bit of redemption its KK.

good luck kegga, no question you'll need it, but stranger things have happened....