pedro111

I know it was a 'big', 'crucial' game yesterday but does anyone else think this was a crackin turnout from us?, taking into account:

- Fulham had about 400 fans (if that)

- relegation battle

- we are shite.

Considering that at least 2500 people "paid at the gate" to get in it gives me confidence that if we were ever to do good again and seriously challenge for trophies, gates of 60k could be achieved and maintained if the capacity was increased imo.

We've been shite for four years, and I mean fucking shite. Not just trophyless seasons (thats a given anyway), I mean fucking shit football, shit managers, shit players and turmoil on and off the pitch.

We really are the best in the land.

Guest Brummiemag

Yes it was a cracking turnout and 60,000 could be achieved.  I honestly believe that no other club in England can match our support. If Man Utd, Arsenal or anyone else had been as unsuccessful as us over the last 40+ years they would not be getting 50,000 at home games nor would they be taking 3,000 or more to every away game. What other club in our position for example would take 5,000+ fans to places like Wigan and Blackburn. Can you imagine Man U or Liverpool taking that amount to Sunderland or Boro if they were as bad as us, no chance. We have the best fans by a mile and its something we can be very proud of. 

We turn up in numbers, but vocal (most of the time) non-fickle support is what we don't have. Depends what you think would be better for us, 40,000 singing fans who don't boo managers decisions or 60,000 quiet fickle fans?

I'm just generally cautious when people try to say our fans are brilliant etc..., when we are better than most (which isn't saying anything), but we are not the best at all.

I thought the atmosphere was very good too.

I thought so too from my seat in Leazes L7.

This reporter didn't think so though....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/03/23/sfgnew123.xml

Remarkably, this game attracted St James' biggest crowd of the season, only because Fulham brought just a few diehards, allowing Newcastle to sell more seats in the section normally reserved for away fans. But for much of the game, the stadium was as quiet as Lord's, so much so that you could hear the players barking instructions at one another.

:idiot2:

I couldnt believe we had that many, there were a canny few empty seats dotted about level 7.

From where I sit, level 7 looked pretty much full, there were a few empties as well, in the corparates, but much less than normal.

attendance for middlesbrough v reading: 22963 (35100)

attendance for chelsea v derby: 39447 (42449)

liverpool v wigan: 42308 (45362)

our lowest attendance: 49948 v birmingham, so i say weve done well considering the awful season

Guest suffolktoon

If season tickets were not the norm then  the club would have struggled to have got 30,000 yesterday. It's only thanks to Keegan's first stint that crowds have remained high.

Guest Stephen927

Good crowd, and it sounded like a good atmosphere.

One thing that amazes me is that the crowds still go through the door despite results and league finishes being far from desirable.

:clap:

Guest suffolktoon

One thing that amazes me is that the crowds still go through the door despite results and league finishes being far from desirable.

Yes, well in the good old days you could pay on the day for every game home and away, which is why when we were shite we regularly had crowds well under 20,000.

I can remember going one week and being able to wander all over the terrace, the next game being locked out, and back to wandering the week after.

It's fear that we might get things right again and the problem not having a season ticket that continues to drive sales. If there were thousands of sell on the door seats we'd look just as bad as the mackems or smogs.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I've been thinking for a while why teams seem to raise their games at SJP. i think the crowd are too far away. At Portsmouth, Spurs, Everton even Liverpool the atmosphere is intimidating because fans are almost on the pitch. At SJP fans are away from the touchlne.

If we are going to expand put another 6-8000 around the side of the pitch, make the atmosphere intimidating.

We didnt sell out for our biggest game since we have came up into the premier league, so why say we could easily fill 60,000 ?

we only sell out against the likes of: man utd, mackems, boro, arsenal and teams like that, so the only way we could possibly attract 50,000 fans never mind 60,000, is too be a top 6 side, which could easily take us 4 or 5 years

I've been thinking for a while why teams seem to raise their games at SJP. i think the crowd are too far away. At Portsmouth, Spurs, Everton even Liverpool the atmosphere is intimidating because fans are almost on the pitch. At SJP fans are away from the touchlne.

If we are going to expand put another 6-8000 around the side of the pitch, make the atmosphere intimidating.

Going to be a bit crammed on the dirt track around the pitch then

EDIT: I dont mean to be flippant... am knackered having stayed up to see most of the cricket the last 2 days

What, sat on the floor? :lol:

There's not that much room anyway.

Yes, well in the good old days you could pay on the day for every game home and away, which is why when we were s**** we regularly had crowds well under 20,000.

I can remember going one week and being able to wander all over the terrace, the next game being locked out, and back to wandering the week after.

It's fear that we might get things right again and the problem not having a season ticket that continues to drive sales. If there were thousands of sell on the door seats we'd look just as bad as the mackems or smogs.

People say things like "Its only cause we have loads of season ticket holders that it wasnt a bad attendance"etc etc.

I dont get why many people see the fact that we have so many season ticket holders in a negative way, like its so easy to afford and pay for a season ticket or something.

The fact that we sell so many in the first place is outstanding and should only add to the reputation of our support, not go against it.

We didnt sell out for our biggest game since we have came up into the premier league, so why say we could easily fill 60,000 ?

we only sell out against the likes of: man utd, mackems, boro, arsenal and teams like that, so the only way we could possibly attract 50,000 fans never mind 60,000, is too be a top 6 side, which could easily take us 4 or 5 years

What?

Who said we could 'easily' fill 60,000?

We have attracted around 50,000 fans for the last 4 years despite being shite.

And yes we only sell out against those sides but its not like we have thousands upon thousands of empties against everyone else, every league match is 95% full no matter who we are playing.

Anfield is as intimidating as tea with my old granny for fucks sake. Full of happy-clappy wankers waving 'you'll never walk alone' scarves - similar to our pogoing shoe-waving tossers but in much greater numbers.

Anfield is as intimidating as tea with my old granny for fucks sake. Full of happy-clappy wankers waving 'you'll never walk alone' scarves - similar to our pogoing shoe-waving tossers but in much greater numbers.

Indeed.

The days of intimidating top flight football grounds are well and truly over, now we're swamped with happyclappy fucking clueless daytripping Sky botherers.

I was looking at the shirts-off Sunderland fans yesterday thinking what a bunch of twats they looked, then heard a couple of two times a season Tarquins behind me having a pop at O'Neill and moaning they weren't going to bother again, and thought which type of fan I'd rather have around me.

Indeed.

The days of intimidating top flight football grounds are well and truly over, now we're swamped with happyclappy fucking clueless daytripping Sky botherers.

I was looking at the shirts-off Sunderland fans yesterday thinking what a bunch of twats they looked, then heard a couple of two times a season Tarquins behind me having a pop at O'Neill and moaning they weren't going to bother again, and thought which type of fan I'd rather have around me.

Steven Garrard took a corner at the Stretford End today and some woman was standing there taking a photograph of him. No doubt a die hard, go in all weather, red fams she is

Then when it panned across the Liverpool fans, some geezer had a proper professional Digital SLR camera around his neck !