Regardless I would still replace Butt and Geremi.

Parky

Keep them both but not as 1st choice, if we are sticking with the 4-3-3 then we need a Claude Makelele type and another box to box Joey Barton type, or maybe 2 Joey's if he go's down..

---------------Given

Beye-------?----------?-------Enrique

------------------?

-----Barton---------------------?

------Owen----------------Martins

----------------Gomis

Harper

Faye

Taylor

Edgar

Ramage

Geremi

Butt

Milner

Zoggy

Duff

Emre

Viduka

Carroll

No chance, but Carrick would be an ideal signing if we're going with 4-3-3. So would Berbatov to play in Vidukas role.

Kaka could play in Owen's position.

No he couldn't.

Berbatov looks on his way out of Spurs, not that impossible to be honest. Carrick is though.

Guest float one in

No chance, but Carrick would be an ideal signing if we're going with 4-3-3. So would Berbatov to play in Vidukas role.

Gordon Banks could play in nets as well. Has the makings of a canny team this like.

Gordon Banks could play in nets as well. Has the makings of a canny team this like.

I get it. I'll never suggest an ideal signing ever again. Never.

Sorry, I assumed you were taking the piss too.

Carrick and Berbatov have been mentioned hundreds of times on this forum. I've always assumed it was a piss take?

Carrick and Berbatov have been mentioned hundreds of times on this forum. I've always assumed it was a piss take?

Hark at you Mr Sensible!  :razz:

I think Keegan's comments when praising Owen said a lot about the failings of our current midfield and what he'll look to bring in.

Players with decent technical ability who can pass the ball around and look comfortable in possession is what he'll go for IMO, a ball playing holding man similar to Carrick in style and 2 midfielders to play either side of him, preferably modern day winger type's like Bentley.

I can also see him getting 2 new attacking fullbacks to make up for our lack of width.

Guest shearer_united

Its all about effective communication..

Butt is nearing his end of his career but he did prove his worth a lot in recent games.

What I do want is to see the Captain's ArmBand handed over to Alan Smith.

He should be our captain.

Ideally, I'd like to see us buy two good centre backs, and then move Faye into Butt's position.

Is Faye's distribution upto it though?

I think so, yeah. Better than Butt, for sure, and midfield is actually his preferred position.

It'd also be good to have that extra aerial power at both ends of the pitch, because otherwise we're not a particularly big side.

Ideally, I'd like to see us buy two good centre backs, and then move Faye into Butt's position.

I think so, yeah. Better than Butt, for sure, and midfield is actually his preferred position.

It'd also be good to have that extra aerial power at both ends of the pitch, because otherwise we're not a particularly big side.

:thup:

Deffo bigger engine than Butt.

Needed;

Harper

Beye        Faye          CB      Enrique

DM

Barton            AM

Martins      Viduka          Owen

My (semi- realistic) recommendations;

CB- Dunne, Pique, Ben Haim

DM- Carrick, Diaby

AM, Deco, Diego, VDV

van der Vaart is linked to Juventus, or else "der Bayern" will probably snap him, which is what they do with just about every single player who proves himself in Bundesliga.

José Paulo Guerrero has been mentioned in some threads, would be a good striker complement. Wasn't Keegan interested in Daniel van Buyten in january? Would be a very good addition.

Guest Jungle Barry

He was great in the centre of the park against man city at home (well relatively cos we were pretty poor overall) Distribution didn't look too shabby to be fair

could be a decent option

Geremi and Butt have been getting up and down the pitch quite well in the 4-3-3 formation. I would have thought if anyone needs to be replaced by a younger better version it would be Viduka. Quality player but has never looked fit since he arrived.

Geremi and Butt have been getting up and down the pitch quite well in the 4-3-3 formation. I would have thought if anyone needs to be replaced by a younger better version it would be Viduka. Quality player but has never looked fit since he arrived.

:thup:

at the moment the formation is covering for some of their physical weaknesses so they are less of the burning issue they were in a 4-4-2. for instance butt and geremi have an extra hand in midfield to cover for their lack of legs, owen has strength, skill and movement ahead of him to compensate for his frailty and lack of vision & pace, and so on for the others. so it's really a clever fit for the bunch we have. the problem we have bringing others in is getting the balance right across the front-three and midfield trio. You'd look at Geremi and Butt as being players who we want to upgrade on but they're both technically decent, butt reads the game well and geremi makes us tick when on the ball (plus he is one of the most creative in our squad). if you replace geremi with someone of similar qualities, but better and more mobile, you're looking at someone like Bentley or Arteta. yet do they have the ability to play centrally and defend like he does? so buying them has the knock-on effect of needing a more robust defensive duo than Barton and Butt, without sacrificing Butt's nous and Barton's legs. so effectively if you change one cog in the midfield you need to replace/tweak the others in order to ensure they work as a cohesive engine.

Viduka i think has been the least impressive of the front-six, though he is essential to the side as he has strength and the creativity to help make openings, as well as providing goals himself. People have mentioned Gomis but he doesn't have the same guile so i don't think he'd work with Martins and Owen. If we bring in a Viduka-upgrade it has to be a skilful player like Berbatov imo because that - along with a bit of presence - is the main thing Martins and Owen as a pair lack and need alongside them.

I'd keep them, just for backup.

Nicky Butt has been immense in our last two matches, but regardless, he's still getting on a bit, and is a bit slower than he used to be.

But, to have him in the squad as back-up would be very handy.

Same goes for Geremi, although I've been more and more impressed with him.

Guest teepee

actually i think that geremi, butt, emre, barton are all better suited for a three man midfield than the centre pairing of a four man line up.

but if we are to move up the table we need to bring in two cm's no matter what. especially a good dcm as butt shouldn't play another full season for us.

oh, and i'd rather see geremi in the side than barton tbh

No he couldn't.

Berbatov looks on his way out of Spurs, not that impossible to be honest. Carrick is though.

If anything, I'd say it's the other way around. Berbatov will join a bigger club, if Man Utd sign another midfielder, Carrick might be deemed surplus to requirements, and I can't see one of the other top 4 clubs going for him.