Laurent Robert to Toronto FC

thewellander

Guest Sniffer

Basically down to his attitude. No one doubted his ability but on the days when it wasn'y working for him, or he wasn't in the mood he just didn't have the heart to dig down for the team's sake. He just said fuck it. That's not the mark of a great player in my book.

People on here are throwing the term great around far too freely.

Guest spitfire87

I watched some highlights of a home toronto game the other day on TV here. They obviously share the field with the CFL team (CFL is well into it's season now). They made no attempt to cover the markings for the CFL team, it was an absolute nightmare trying to determine where the penalty area was. Robert replaced Dichio who went off injured in the game !

Uhh no they don't.

There is actually a huge controversy right now as to whether the Toronto Argonauts will be allowed to move into BMO field (TFC's pitch). But it doesn't look likely.

The TFC supporters would lost their marbles if they shared a field.

You were likely watching a replay of the TFC vs. NY match from a couple days ago, as it was at Giants Stadium, the stadium that NY shares with it's NFL team, the NY Giants

(though they too are moving into a Soccer Specific Stadium next year)

Guest spitfire87

I`ve read the fans want rid of John Carver too.....boring hoof the ball upfield tactics etc

Most fans want Carver to stick around, he's a fan favourite. There is of course a minority (of mostly less intelligent, more impatient fans) who have advocated for his release.

Most fans criticize the General Manager Mo Johnston for the teams problems.

I watched some highlights of a home toronto game the other day on TV here. They obviously share the field with the CFL team (CFL is well into it's season now). They made no attempt to cover the markings for the CFL team, it was an absolute nightmare trying to determine where the penalty area was. Robert replaced Dichio who went off injured in the game !

Uhh no they don't.

There is actually a huge controversy right now as to whether the Toronto Argonauts will be allowed to move into BMO field (TFC's pitch). But it doesn't look likely.

You were likely watching a replay of the TFC vs. NY match from a couple days ago, as it was at Giants Stadium, the stadium that NY shares with it's NFL team, the NY Giants

OK then it doesn't get around the fact I couldn't see the bloody 'soccer' pitch markings. In my defence, it's the stupid way they show fixures over here, TOR 0 : 2 NY is actually Toronto AT New York, never understood why they have to do thing the wrong way around !!

Uhh no they don't.

You're 100% correct about the CFL team not moving in there.  One of the pre-req's for starting an MLS franchise now is that you have your own soccer specific stadium (this started with TFC) so there's no way BMO Field/MLS/TFC would let a CFL team move in there now.

Uhh no they don't.

OK then it doesn't get around the fact I couldn't see the bloody 'soccer' pitch markings. In my defence, it's the stupid way they show fixures over here, TOR 0 : 2 TOR is actually Toronto AT New York, never understood why they have to do thing the wrong way around !!

I agree totally.  It's a scar amongst the MLS to have to watch soccer matches played on football pitches - the only thing worse in the league is @ san jose where they play on top of a baseball field you can blatantly see where the pitchers mound sticks up.  They've made a rule where any new MLS franchise has to have their own soccer specific stadium so it should help out immensely and a lot of the teams currently playing on shared pitches are working to get their own stadiums but like Steve Nicols said on a call in show the other day there is tons of red tape he had no idea existed to try and get a stadium built.  I feel like MLS will start pushing this through with more fervor over the next couple of seasons perhaps even trying to exert pressure on cities themselves.

the only thing worse in the league is @ san jose where they play on top of a baseball field you can blatantly see where the pitchers mound sticks up.

SJ Earthquakes are going to build their own stadium. They have to do this to keep their franchise.

MLS gets better every year and loads of EPL rejects are finding it harder to get into MLS sides. Steve Howey was the first I heard about that surprised me (3 years ago now?) - and this year aven the woeful LA Galaxy released Babayaro for being generally crap.

It is shocking to see Bobert decline so badly. Smoggies away 2001 is what I will remember him for.

Shame a player of Roberts caliber has fallen so low.

Imo he was worth every penny of the 9.5m we paid for him. A great player. Even if he did have his not so great moments.

When he was in the mood he was unstoppable....simple as that. He was the most effective left winger in the EPL.

And some his goals will never be forgotten.

I`ve read the fans want rid of John Carver too.....boring hoof the ball upfield tactics etc

Most fans want Carver to stick around, he's a fan favourite. There is of course a minority (of mostly less intelligent, more impatient fans) who have advocated for his release.

TFC have many problems, but I think it comes down to the players and the field turf, tbh. Carver is doing as best he can with a sh*t team. And, the whole Carver/Johnston relationship is strange. From what I understand, Mo is in charge of bringing in players and Carver only coaches. It's sort of like what the media speculate is happening here with Keegan and Wise, only in actual fact.

As a result, Toronto have spent most of the season without anyone who can score a goal, which is unnacceptable, since everyone knew that was where the team had to make up ground.

Guest spitfire87

TFC have many problems, but I think it comes down to the players and the field turf, tbh. Carver is doing as best he can with a sh*t team. And, the whole Carver/Johnston relationship is strange. From what I understand, Mo is in charge of bringing in players and Carver only coaches. It's sort of like what the media speculate is happening here with Keegan and Wise, only in actual fact.

As a result, Toronto have spent most of the season without anyone who can score a goal, which is unnacceptable, since everyone knew that was where the team had to make up ground.

Feel free to not answer this, but you wouldnt happen to be from Welland Ontario would you?

Feel free to not answer this, but you wouldnt happen to be from Welland Ontario would you?

I went to college there, yes. Hence the name. I've long since moved, but I've just stuck with the login name.