Laurent Robert to Toronto FC

thewellander

Legend, is that the Ricketts who played for Boro celebrating?

Yes, it was him and I was there today.  Robert outclassed every player on the pitch and barely broke a sweat.

Windy as fuck at the match and his goal was well taken as he was smart to drive it along the deck, through the

wall.  He was also named man of the match.

Check my flickr account for some iPhone pic's of the match.

Yes, it was him and I was there today.  Robert outclassed every player on the pitch and barely broke a sweat.

Windy as fuck at the match and his goal was well taken as he was smart to drive it along the deck, through the

Lucky git. How much were the tix? Where can I get'em from?

LRBWJ ;)

Windy as f*** at the match and his goal was well taken as he was smart to drive it along the deck, through the

It was Rohan Ricketts not Michahel Ricketts.

Windy as f*** at the match and his goal was well taken as he was smart to drive it along the deck, through the

LRBWJ ;)

Are you sure it was him? Thought that was Michael Ricketts.

From the Toronto biog of Rohan Ricketts:

Ricketts, 25, has made stops at a number of big name English clubs including Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton before signing with Barnsley in July of 2007.

The midfielder started his career at Arsenal, winning the FA Youth Cup with the team in both 2000 and 2001. He also made one appearance with the Gunners in the League Cup against Manchester United. When Ricketts made the move from Arsenal to Tottenham in 2002, he became just the fourth player to make the switch to the cross-London rivals at White Hart Lane.

Rohan Ricketts plays for Toronto, as I said above your post.

M.Ricketts has left Walsall after wanting a bit to much cash for them & is no in search for club number 10 since getting capped by England.

Your post wasn't there when I replied, had been watching the highlights from TOR's last few games. Reminded me how much I miss good old Laurent. :(

The atmosphere, the colour, the sense of anticipation at yesterday's Toronto FC home opener matched the team's local debut a year ago. But the similarities ended there.

This is an entirely new sort of Toronto FC. Personnel changes are one thing. Flipping the club's attitude on its head is entirely another.

The new feel starts with the coach, John Carver. The blunt, quipping Englishman has the same swagger Mo Johnston brought to the club in its expansion year. Like Johnston, he also knows how to play to the home crowd.

"I've had some great occasions in my life," the former Newcastle manager said after a 1-0 victory over Real Salt Lake. "And that's on the top of my list."

It's a bit rich, but certain to be appreciated by the throng in red that jammed BMO Field. The love affair between fans and club is undimmed. Exciting, winning soccer will only make hearts beat faster. Unlike Johnston, Carver seems determined to provide that offensive focus that makes supporters stand in their seats.

"No disrespect to those American grounds, but it's a family-day-out thing," forward Danny Dichio said afterward. "Here we're playing in front of real football fans."

Real fans, and now a team to match.

This Toronto FC goes straight at you. Most of the credit goes to players added only in recent days. Yesterday's goal scorer, Laurent Robert, provides the width on the left. Amado Guevara has the deft touch in the middle. And now Rohan Ricketts drives the ball forward toward the centre of the park. In his club debut, the lithesome young winger ran relentlessly in the first half, forcing Real's defence to backpedal in confusion. Ricketts tired as the game went on, but showed that he will be a force in this league once he's attained match fitness.

The newbies provided the punch. Guevara's mazy run forced the Real defence to drag him to the ground just outside the area. Robert's thundering left foot drove the ball underneath the leaping wall and into the net. The locus of conflict on this team may come between Guevara and Robert, who argued on the pitch for the right to take the pivotal free kick.

"I've said to (Guevara), `You'll get your chance when (Robert) misses one,'" Carver said.

Old hands like Danny Dichio and Carl Robinson calmed matters in the second half, when the team looked to be wilting.

The growing pains are apparent. Passes often went untaken for want of a man running onto them. Hands were repeatedly thrown into the air in confusion as FC teammates looked across the field for explanations. This is still a group of talented individuals, rather than a unit.

While the offence tried to figure each other out, the defence finally looked like it had met up more than five minutes before kickoff. Even Marco Velez, who had a tough time in L.A. last week, stood tall. He corrected his only serious mistake, allowing his mark to spin by him toward goal, by dragging him to the ground. Rarely has a wiser yellow card been taken.

In all, there was a confidence that was lacking last year. That first-year team was anxious to please and unsure how to manage the task. This new Toronto FC is still trying to define itself, but brash enough to expect victory despite a common understanding.

For the first time in its brief history, Toronto FC holds a .500 record at 2-2-0. The stated goal of a playoff berth is within reach.

After making few changes from last year, the management of this club took a hiding in pre-season, notably from this corner. But the necessary improvements made in recent weeks were convincingly on display yesterday. Credit to Carver and Johnston for hitting town with a team that's ready to win games and turn heads while doing it.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/416351

Nice to see a local paper admittng they were wrong

Yeah sorry, it was Rohan. Was pretty drunk when I wrote that last night. 

Deej, tickets are available, there were a few empty seats around the stadium.

Canny atmosphere round the ground made for an good afternoon.

I'm headed up there for their match against D.C. United on May 21.  I'm lucky I've got an inside connection, as I've heard they're sold out for the entire season.

Tell me about it.

No. Tickets. Anywhere.

Except for scalpers and pedos on Craigslist and such.

*Sigh*

I'm headed up there for their match against D.C. United on May 21.  I'm lucky I've got an inside connection, as I've heard they're sold out for the entire season.

Coming from where?  I'd not advise wearing an oppo kit, there's some right nutters there. 

3 wins in a row now after last night's win. I noticed they had Olivier Tebily on the bench, and the team they were playing had a certain Carlos Marinelli in their side.

Aye, decent win.  Might be sub par football, but there are numerous chances each game and the ground has a canny atmosphere.  I imagine watching at another park in the MLS wouldn't be as fun.