Bentley - On the Move In The Summer?

NG32

With all of that going on you need strong leadership from your manager to keep you focused. My gaffer at Blackburn [Mark Hughes] gives me that. He won't try to be your friend, having a laugh and a joke. He doesn't want to sit down for coffee. He and Mr Capello are my favourite kind of manager: disciplined. You give a player an inch and they'll take a mile, that's just the way young rich footballers are. We need managers to rein us in. It's a bit like when you're at school - if you have a strict teacher, you respect them; if you have a teacher that's always larking about, you lark about yourself. We need to be kept on a leash, otherwise we lose our focus.

Anything different and the team stops winning. I've seen it happen. You look at the clubs that are struggling in the Premier League and it's always for those same reasons. Players have to be controlled, if they're not it's a disaster. Look at Newcastle.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2270257,00.html

Bentley certainly isn't a fan of Kevin Keegan!

What makes you say that?

His piece in the Observer Sport Monthly today goes on about how he likes his manager to be a disciplinarian and that a manager should be like a school teacher.

'You need leadership from your manager, players have to be controlled, if they're not it's a disaster. Look at Newcastle.'

He obviously hasn't got a fucking clue about what really happens up here.

Hmmm. A very odd thing for someone to say. I would like to know what was exactly said compared to what made it in print. He might have made a specific reference to Joey Barton (for example) in the actual interview but the journalist decided to omit the specific information; hence making Bentley look a bit of a twat (trying to cause a rift between club and player to scupper possible transfer?)

I dont know. Its just seems odd for even a footballer to come out with (and we all know they aint the brightest sparks at the best of times)

Here is this part of the article.

'With all of that going on (he'd been on about money, spare time, being famous etc)you need strong leadership from your manager to keep you focused. My Gaffer at Blackburn (Mark Hughes) gives me that. He won't try to be your friend, having a laugh and a joke. He doesn't want to sit down for a coffee. He and Mr Capello are my favourite kind of manager: disciplined. You give a player and inch and they'll take a mile, that's just the way young rich footballers are. We need managers to rein us in. It's a bit like when you're at school - if you have a strickt teacher you respect them; if you have a teacher that is always larking about you lark about yourself. We need to be kept on a leash otherwise we lose our focus.

Anything different and the team stops winning. I've seen it happen. You look at the clubs that are struggling in the Premier League and it's always for those same reasons, players have to controlled, if they're not it's a disaster, look at Newcastle.'

He then spouts some more shite about how we have the best players so we should win the World Cup etc.

With all of that going on you need strong leadership from your manager to keep you focused. My gaffer at Blackburn [Mark Hughes] gives me that. He won't try to be your friend, having a laugh and a joke. He doesn't want to sit down for coffee. He and Mr Capello are my favourite kind of manager: disciplined. You give a player an inch and they'll take a mile, that's just the way young rich footballers are. We need managers to rein us in. It's a bit like when you're at school - if you have a strict teacher, you respect them; if you have a teacher that's always larking about, you lark about yourself. We need to be kept on a leash, otherwise we lose our focus.

Anything different and the team stops winning. I've seen it happen. You look at the clubs that are struggling in the Premier League and it's always for those same reasons. Players have to be controlled, if they're not it's a disaster. Look at Newcastle.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2270257,00.html

Then the way that it reads he is an idiot. He should have expanded on why he pinpointed Newcastle (again, assuming that he didnt). He may have been referring to Barton but without explaining his comment, it does make him look a totally ignorant twat.

Hopefully KK will put the article on the dressing wall for next seasons fixture against Blackburn.

He is right of course, the idot kids at school always responded brilliantly to strict teachers and punishment  :rolleyes:

Guest Scouseman

CoachHTT,  The vast majority of Scouse LFC fans see Everton as their main rivals.  Manure rivalry is only the same as yours with Sunderland.  Two cities close to each other and full of hate.  The derby is still, and always has been, the first game to look for on the fixture list. It’s still the most important game to win for the majority of reds including Carra and Gerrard.

As for the rest of your post, you have no understanding of a two club city whatsoever as I don't for a one club city.  Best to agree to disagree.

Saying that it's as simple as having better managers is ridiculous.  It starts at the top and works it's way through every aspect of the club.  That Newcastle haven't had as good a people in the important positions is down to their own lack of talent in that sphere, just like many other clubs in the league.  Appointing the best manager possible is the first requirement of a club with ambition and having the right people in position to choose him is a measure of how good a club is run. We haven’t had a manager who’s won nothing since 1958.

By ’74, we had won 8 league titles, if that puts us behind you in number of trophies at that time then fair enough, but I wouldn’t swap one of them for any amount of FA Cup wins in exchange. 

A best and bad period to a Newcastle fan and a Liverpool fan is very different though isn’t it?  Our bad period has brought us 8 trophies and a couple of super cups.  ;D

Interesting thoughts....big club, bigger club etc.    Obviously the lights burn brighter in the home town and obscure the lights in the other towns.  I don't think Newcastle fans can truely/objectivly judge the attraction of their team vs another despite how we may claim to be biased.  There are just too many unspoken perceptions and preconceptions built into our lives.  Ever heard of Peter Wythe or Gordon Cowans?  Yes, us oldies have....we remember listening to the radio at night for games from Rotterdam, or Bucharest or Moscow.  Gary Lineker.....he played??  I thought he just did MOTD. Who remembers the him leading Everton as Div 1 leaders. Actually...who remembers the First Division. 

The simple fact is that a 40yr old will have a different view of these teams than his 20yr old son. The just have different references to base their views on.

Clear as the Cathedral on the Hill, Newcastle have a big stadium full of passionate fans.  Does Goodison Park or Villa park have the same atmosphere.

No.  They don't.  The makeup of the stands, closeness to the pitch, Height of the roof, one terrace or multiple levels etc all make the stadiums unique.  One man's state of the art cathedral is another's soul-less cookie cutter stadium, just as one mans 4 cow shed dump is another old-school real-football home.

As a Newcastle fan I can judge the appeal of Everton vs Villa vs Pompey, but for sure I can't truely compare Newcastle to these teams as I am too invested in the Toon to truly be objective.

But I can make assessments of KK Newcastle vs BSA Newcastle.  If we could split reality and have a KK Newcastle and a BSA Newcastle playing in the EPL next year.  KK finishing the season his way, and BSA playing out the season his way.......what would the off season look like.  Who would sign for each team?

Imagine both Newcastle's challenging for the same player....I am sure that the style of play (the demeanor or swagger of the team) would be a huge factor in making SJP an attractive place to commit the next three years of your football future if your an ambitious young player.  Do you want to play sterile, no risk, by the pro-zone numbers game? Or do you want to play attacking swash-buckling football? 

I think we stand a better chance signing a Bentley or a Deco or a Moutinho under KK than we would under BSA.  No wether they sign here or at Everton or Villa or Athletico Madrid......that's another matter.

Bentley seems to be coming over as a bit of a knacker  atm not sure if its his "quotes" or bad press not like i believe most of that crap but he is the type of player we should go for lets wait and see.

Interesting thoughts....big club, bigger club etc.    Obviously the lights burn brighter in the home town and obscure the lights in the other towns.  I don't think Newcastle fans can truely/objectivly judge the attraction of their team vs another despite how we may claim to be biased.  There are just too many unspoken perceptions and preconceptions built into our lives.  Ever heard of Peter Wythe or Gordon Cowans?  Yes, us oldies have....we remember listening to the radio at night for games from Rotterdam, or Bucharest or Moscow.  Gary Lineker.....he played??  I thought he just did MOTD. Who remembers the him leading Everton as Div 1 leaders. Actually...who remembers the First Division. 

The simple fact is that a 40yr old will have a different view of these teams than his 20yr old son. The just have different references to base their views on.

Clear as the Cathedral on the Hill, Newcastle have a big stadium full of passionate fans.  Does Goodison Park or Villa park have the same atmosphere.

No.  They don't.  The makeup of the stands, closeness to the pitch, Height of the roof, one terrace or multiple levels etc all make the stadiums unique.  One man's state of the art cathedral is another's soul-less cookie cutter stadium, just as one mans 4 cow shed dump is another old-school real-football home.

As a Newcastle fan I can judge the appeal of Everton vs Villa vs Pompey, but for sure I can't truely compare Newcastle to these teams as I am too invested in the Toon to truly be objective.

But I can make assessments of KK Newcastle vs BSA Newcastle.  If we could split reality and have a KK Newcastle and a BSA Newcastle playing in the EPL next year.  KK finishing the season his way, and BSA playing out the season his way.......what would the off season look like.  Who would sign for each team?

Imagine both Newcastle's challenging for the same player....I am sure that the style of play (the demeanor or swagger of the team) would be a huge factor in making SJP an attractive place to commit the next three years of your football future if your an ambitious young player.  Do you want to play sterile, no risk, by the pro-zone numbers game? Or do you want to play attacking swash-buckling football? 

I think we stand a better chance signing a Bentley or a Deco or a Moutinho under KK than we would under BSA.  No wether they sign here or at Everton or Villa or Athletico Madrid......that's another matter.

that's a long post! I'm going to go and make a sandwich and then bring it back and read your post.