Harper or Given?

Rocker
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

I'm not sure it is just a form thing with Harper. He's always been the steady and reliable keeper he has shown over the last few weeks. He's very underated ImO especially by his own fans. A keeper you can rely on, who's not prone to rushes of blood is priceless.

how shaky was he when given first started getting injured? i'm not against harper keeping his shirt if he keeps performing, even though i voted given, but given is the better keeper, and the best one we can realistically have in goal for us next season. were we not linked with that bolton keeper? he looked garbage yesterday.

If you mean Jaaskelienen, he's out for the season. The keeper for Bolton yesterday was Ali Al-Habsi.

aye, Al-Hasbi

People on this forum are so fickle. One minute, "we are doomed to relegation", "TBH, Given is one of the top 3 in the country", "Keegan was the wrong choice imo", "Allardyce is the way up" to "the glory days are back", "Harper is much better than Given", "Keegan will bring back the glory days", "Allardyce is piss poor".

On topic though, Given he will soon rediscover his form providing we get behind him. 

in other news, a man has invented a wheel

:lol:

bollocks isnt it, thats the nature of the beast, pointless moaning about it. recently i've seen lots of people saying 'ok, i was too quick to judge keegan/owen and i hold my hands up'. thats totally admirable imo and to be applauded, and much better than a stubborn denial to change your mind given evidence, thats how you end up like allardyce.

Guest Phil K

People on this forum are so fickle. One minute, "we are doomed to relegation", "TBH, Given is one of the top 3 in the country", "Keegan was the wrong choice imo", "Allardyce is the way up" to "the glory days are back", "Harper is much better than Given", "Keegan will bring back the glory days", "Allardyce is piss poor".

On topic though, Given he will soon rediscover his form providing we get behind him. 

bollocks isnt it, thats the nature of the beast, pointless moaning about it. recently i've seen lots of people saying 'ok, i was too quick to judge keegan/owen and i hold my hands up'. thats totally admirable imo and to be applauded, and much better than a stubborn denial to change your mind given evidence, thats how you end up like allardyce.

We've actually seen that more than we've seen the people CALLING for owning up, owning up themselves when THEY'RE proved wrong .

Hypocrisy it's called.

We've actually seen that more than we've seen the people CALLING for owning up, owning up themselves when THEY'RE proved wrong .

Hypocrisy it's called.

Just looking at Flairs comments, surely its only fickle if the comments come from one person. If they are all different then surely thats just differing opinions ?

Harper just seems much more assured when dealing with crosses and balls into the box. Given always looks a bit....fidgety during these times. I think Harper has better movement and positioning in the box. Whilst Given is probably the better, 'shot-stopper' he quite often finds himself flat-footed whereas Harper doesn't. Both keepers do not have the best distribution so not much to compare there though.

• 4 months later...

looks like Given is 1st choice again which I slightly disagree with (little in it though). Harper did little wrong last season IMO and took his chance to claim the jersey but it seems Given just walks straight in as 1st choice as usual. Was Harper injured or something during most of pre-season? didn`t manage to follow all the games

looks like Given is 1st choice again which I slightly disagree with (little in it though). Harper did little wrong last season IMO and took his chance to claim the jersey but it seems Given just walks straight in as 1st choice as usual. Was Harper injured or something during most of pre-season? didn`t manage to follow all the games

When both are at their best Given is the better goalkeeper. Let's hope he's back to that form, because it's been lacking in the last couple of years which has let Harper in. If KK feels Given is back to his best that's great news for everyone.

I would have picked Harper to play against Man U because I didn't think Given was capable of the performance he put in, it's a long time since he played that well and I hope he can maintain that form.  I feel sorry for Harper because he's a good keeper who deserves more games than he's had here but he might be waiting a while for his next start.

I would have picked Harper to play against Man U because I didn't think Given was capable of the performance he put in, it's a long time since he played that well and I hope he can maintain that form.  I feel sorry for Harper because he's a good keeper who deserves more games than he's had here but he might be waiting a while for his next start.

I have a feeling that Harper will play in at least 30 games this season tbh, Given's body is failing him

I have a feeling that Harper will play in at least 30 games this season tbh, Given's body is failing him

His last operation just might have worked, I hope so for his sake, not just ours.

Given all day anyday.

Never had any other opinion, the guy is in a different league to Harper, only Given on his worst form can compare to Harper on his best.

madness, very harsh on Harper

Harper is an average goalkeeper who hit some form for once in his life while Given was suffering the worst period of his career. I'm glad we got both, but i wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold Harper.

Given all day anyday.

Never had any other opinion, the guy is in a different league to Harper, only Given on his worst form can compare to Harper on his best.

The difference is minimal when both are fit and both have had a few games, the bit in bold is stupid.

Given all day anyday.

madness, very harsh on Harper

Harper is an average goalkeeper who hit some form for once in his life while Given was suffering the worst period of his career. I'm glad we got both, but i wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold Harper.

for once in his life?

so 1998-2000 doesn't count where he was for the most part first choice ahead of Shay

Given all day anyday.

The difference is minimal when both are fit and both have had a few games, the bit in bold is stupid.

No it's not. There's a gulf in talent. Harper is average, Given is a very good goalkeeper.

Harper hit form because he had a run of games, something he rarely gets.

Harper hit form because he had a run of games, something he rarely gets.

Because he's not that good, and Given is clearly the better keeper and Harper the understudy.

Guest optimistic nit

the difference isnt minimal. given at his best is streets ahead of harper.

harper played 26 times iirc in one season ronaldo, and thats it. hardly for the most part. and also back then shay given was mistake prone, which may have been part of the reason.

No it's not. There's a gulf in talent. Harper is average, Given is a very good goalkeeper.

Whatever.

Strong reply, you've spent far too much time arguing with NE5, its puddling your brain.  O0