Deco or Bentley

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're going to need a winger, be it Bentley or Lennon.

Deco is old, would cost a fortune and probably demand wages second only to Michael Owen, maybe even more to come here.

why are we going to need a winger ?

Guest marsai

Deco is old, would cost a fortune and probably demand wages second only to Michael Owen, maybe even more to come here.

Valid question.  :pow:

While at it, Newcastle doesn't need more creative midfielders. You first gotta have one to need more.

Judging by our injury problems over the last what, 10 years, we cannot rely on one formation and one style of play.

Judging by our injury problems over the last what, 10 years, we cannot rely on one formation and one style of play.

are you classing a ljungberg/pires type as a winger ?

Guest marsai

I voted for Deco btw, simply because of what he represents.

Class in the creative department. He's got a few more years in him as well I'm sure.

Bentley is looking promising as well, caught him a few times this season and he can definitely deliver. Don't know what Wenger was thinking there tbh.

Not at all, but if you watch Deco play you will see he avoids the wings (mainly because Ronaldinho or Messi would have already got there). As good as he would be through the middle I think we need to find a more sustainable option to play through the middle and create goals.

Unlike Pires and Ljungberg, Deco does stay in the middle of the park and like them he is also getting on, by the time we sign him he probably will be 31 and I can't see him being ready to fly down the flanks if needs be.

Bentley is becoming the sort of player Pires and Ljungberg were at their peaks, be it creating goals or scoring them and funnily enough they all have the Arsenal background.

Not at all, but if you watch Deco play you will see he avoids the wings (mainly because Ronaldinho or Messi would have already got there). As good as he would be through the middle I think we need to find a more sustainable option to play through the middle and create goals.

Unlike Pires and Ljungberg, Deco does stay in the middle of the park and like them he is also getting on, by the time we sign him he probably will be 31 and I can't see him being ready to fly down the flanks if needs be.

Bentley is becoming the sort of player Pires and Ljungberg were at their peaks, be it creating goals or scoring them and funnily enough they all have the Arsenal background.

i know deco plays through the middle and bentley isn't exactly a gillespie style winger thats why i was wondering what you meant

i know deco plays through the middle and bentley isn't exactly a gillespie style winger thats why i was wondering what you meant

You have to consider Deco's age and whether he would be able to adapt to an increasingly competitive Premiership after only making 12 league starts this season ...

You have to consider Deco's age and whether he would be able to adapt to an increasingly competitive Premiership after only making 12 league starts this season ...

i've said earlier i'd like both/either here but not at the prices mentioned

Guest marsai

i've said earlier i'd like both/either here but not at the prices mentioned

Those prices are hypothetical I'm sure. Bentley could cost that much but Deco would cost a fair amount less than 15m O0

Tough choice.

I don't think Bentley will ever be the same class of player Deco was a couple of years back, but he figures to give us more over a longer period of time. We're at least 2 or 3 years away from being able to really challenge the big boys, unless we go on a Chelsea-esque spending spree. So I think I'd rather get Bentley and hopefully have a player who is peaking at a time when we as a team are ready to compete.

Deco's not been great this season when I've watched him either, it must be said, by his own high standards at least. I'd take a 28 year-old Deco every day of the week, but now I'm not sure.

How about we just sign Iniesta instead eh, f****** phenomenal player. No chance Barca would sell sadly.

I've been slated several times from both my mates and people online for saying time after time I'd much rather have Iniesta in my team than Fabregas, it's just my personal opinion, I know he's got a few years on Cesc, but I think he's phenomenal.

Iniesta is a better dribbler but he has suffered a bit from being shunted around in so many positions. before this season he was better presenting a goal threat and Fabregas was better at dictating the play. But now Fabregas is scoring more than Iniesta ever has (13 in 38 in league + champion's league as opposed to 4 in 38 in same for iniesta) you have to say Fabregas is the better player.

Perhaps, but Fabregas is allowed to be the central point of the Arsenal team whereas Iniesta never really has, being moved around by Barca so much as he was, and often not getting a start at all.

This year Iniesta has been given a much better run as Barca's midfield playmaker, and for me he's the best in the world right now at what he does. Fabregas is a fantastic talent as well of course, and a far better player at the same age than Iniesta was, but right now Iniesta is the better player, IMO.

Can't for the life of me understand how he's still so pale living in Barcelona his whole life though.

Guest marsai

Perhaps, but Fabregas is allowed to be the central point of the Arsenal team whereas Iniesta never really has, being moved around by Barca so much as he was, and often not getting a start at all.

This year Iniesta has been given a much better run as Barca's midfield playmaker, and for me he's the best in the world right now at what he does. Fabregas is a fantastic talent as well of course, and a far better player at the same age than Iniesta was, but right now Iniesta is the better player, IMO.

Can't for the life of me understand how he's still so pale living in Barcelona his whole life though.

In my opinion, Iniesta is a God. Period. It would explain his pale texture in a way i guess. Honestly though, i believe him to be among the select few talented players in the world. The way he controls the ball is ridiculus at times, I swear even Messi or Ronaldinho couldn't emulate that. His acceleration is top as well. Reminds me of Valeron in some ways, though Valeron is a bit more static but i would dare to say more intelligent (on the field ofc). Only thing that's lacking with Iniesta is finishing i think, one too many times have i seen him cutting through the midfield only to barely hit it on target. 

As for Fabregas, I'm somewhat cynical. He has the authority in the midfield, but maybe Wenger gives him too much space cause I've rarely seen him take the spotlight this season. He was promising at the start of the season though. He's more of a passer than Iniesta, but not by a fair margin (if any). It's Iniesta all the way for me.

It has to be Deco. Why would anyone right now pay £15m for someone who might not even excel in the formation we're playing? I think Bentley can play a bit more central i.e. Geremi's current role atm but if we had a chance to spend the same money on someone proven, someone absolutely world-class and who will still have more than a couple of years left then it'd be stupid not to do so.

Like I've said, when you're playing teams of similar quality to you, you need to have difference-makers in the team; players who rise above when it matters and can dominate the game. Bentley is not that. No matter how good he becomes as a winger, it's not an impact position. It is not a position where you can have a sustained impact on the game. Our game will not go through him, it'll go through our central midfield (like it's been going through Butt lately). Compare the RW to one of the most important positions on a football pitch, central midfield, and £15m will be better spent there, especially since the current quality of this prospective CM >>>>>> the prospective RW.

The worries about the age aren't well-founded as well. Deco's 30. Zizou signed for Real at 29. Not that I'm saying they're of the same quality, but they do have similar features and Zidane was good all the way until he retired (34). There's absolutely no reason a player like Deco, someone who doesn't depend on blistering pace, wouldn't be able to sustain a high level of play up until then.

I'm not saying Bentley's naff or something, but he ain't that good. And Deco's awesome. The difference between the two atm is massive and the difference in their respective impacts on our current team will also be immense.