Muslim football fans

brummie

I was going to post this in General Chat but then opted for here, as it is non NUFC, but raises an interesting point in general, i think.

Mods - please feel free to shift to Chat if it should have gone there.

As you'll have noticed if you've been there, Villa Park is in an area with a very large Muslim population (which was previously an area with a large Afro Caribbean population, and before that an area with a large Irish population, in the way that cities change). The Afro Caribbeans and Irish played a role in the history of the club over decades, providing both fans and players, but the Asian (and Muslim in particular) community hasn't

The club have finally cottoned on to the idea that it might be an idea to try and encourage more muslims to the ground (we do have a lot of Asian match attending fans, but not so many Muslims I expect).

So, for the last game, they mailed a number of households in the Aston and Witton areas, offering them cheap tickets for the game, limited to 1000 seats. The seats were available anywhere, but one part of the ground (the usual lower tier of the away section) was made alcohol free and Halal snacks were made available.

The result was interesting, 900 people took the club up on the offer and came to the match. That's probably 900 people who'd never have thought about going to watch PL football before.

I was interested to hear what you think of that as an idea, as there are a lot of other football clubs with grounds in Asian communities, and football is still a sport which they don't largely get involved with.

It struck me as an excellent idea (I'm thinking in terms other than the usual football reference point of money, but in terms of including other sectors of society in the game), and something other clubs might want to look at.

Good idea for Aston Villa and society in general.

It is the society bit that really interests me. Obviously, 900 more fans with 900 more open wallets can't hurt, but it struck me as a bit of a bold move.

Although, predictably, a minority of our lot will doubtless whinge they can't get a beer if they sit in that area.

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

The cheap tickets  - Fuk off, no one should be getting special treatment because of their race or religion.

They either like the way its done, however adding a menu for them is a great idea, but apart from that why should football grounds change the way they work for religion?

There is no place for religion in football, putting them together is a horrible idea. I'd rather have Muslims attending with us next to me and around me than in a section of their own. Horrid, sorry.

The Country need a wa to break the segregation, not create more.

Can they not go to the match and not drink anyway and sell Halal food next to the normal food at the match?

They'll never intergrate if they have their own areas.

Bit silly really.

Can they not go to the match and not drink anyway and sell Halal food next to the normal food at the match?

Bit silly really.

Funny how all these Muslims working in and owning restaurants have no problem serving or selling alcohol. Crap idea. Like it or lump it.

Would the seats have remained unsold otherwise?

Against Bolton? Yes.

Usually when an away team brings a small allocation (Boro 371, Bolton just over 500) they only get the one tier of the away end, meaning those seats go empty unless the club puts on other arrangements to use them. This was done in the lower empty tier.

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

The cheap tickets  - Fuk off, no one should be getting special treatment because of their race or religion.

They either like the way its done, however adding a menu for them is a great idea, but apart from that why should football grounds change the way they work for religion?

There is no place for religion in football, putting them together is a horrible idea. I'd rather have Muslims attending with us next to me and around me than in a section of their own. Horrid, sorry.

I agree except I don't mind the idea of cheap tickets as an introductory offer type of thing, so long as it isn't a long-term policy.

Against Bolton? Yes.

Usually when an away team brings a small allocation (Boro 371, Bolton just over 500) they only get the one tier of the away end, meaning those seats go empty unless the club puts on other arrangements to use them. This was done in the lower empty tier.

They get much abuse from the Bolton fans?

Bit silly really.

A lot of Muslims won't go anywhere where people are drinking. A lot will, but a lot won't.

Doesn't seem to me a big deal to offer them this opportunity (it isn't going to be a regular thing with some kind of 'Muslim section' - it is about getting people in to actually see the match, and realising that it isn't the hell they might imagine it to have been.

Although, had it been the 1-1 at home to Boro, or the defeat to the Mackems rather than a 4-0 win, they'd never be back. I had doubts whether I was going to bother, tbh ;)

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

I agree except I don't mind the idea of cheap tickets as an introductory offer type of thing, so long as it isn't a long-term policy.

I'd rather do it for school children who are black, white, muslim, Christian, Jewish or any other religious background etc... but certainly not this.

Muslims pay less for their tickets. Fuking hell, things in the UK are going to pot.

Against Bolton? Yes.

They get much abuse from the Bolton fans?

Nope. When the allocation is so small, they don't let them near the front rows of the tier, they're in one of the middle sections.

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

I'd rather do it for school children who are black, white, muslim, Christian, Jewish or any other religious background etc... but certainly not this.

Muslims pay less for their tickets. Fuking hell, things in the UK are going to pot.

You're getting it wrong (or maybe i described it badly).

The offer was for people living within a certain radius of the ground, regardless of race. It just happens that a sizeable majority of people living within a few streets of Villa Park are going to be muslim.

They had the choice to sit elsewhere in the ground, or to use that section of the ground, where booze wouldn't be served, and Halal food would be available.

Bit silly really.

A lot of Muslims won't go anywhere where people are drinking. A lot will, but a lot won't.

Doesn't seem to me a big deal to offer them this opportunity (it isn't going to be a regular thing with some kind of 'Muslim section' - it is about getting people in to actually see the match, and realising that it isn't the hell they might imagine it to have been.

Although, had it been the 1-1 at home to Boro, or the defeat to the Mackems rather than a 4-0 win, they'd never be back. I had doubts whether I was going to bother, tbh ;)

They should get over there own hang ups and join in society instead of closing themselves off.

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

Just to encourage them to come initially though, like I said. And only tickets that weren't going to be sold anyway. It's actually not that philanthropic since it's about drumming up more business / getting more bums on seats. And if it makes the game more accessible to another aspect of society, all the better.

Guest Nufc4Life

Absolute joke of an idea to be honest.

So they get cheap tickets....because they are muslims. That's a disgrace to be fair.

Just letting them have there own part of the ground? Absolute joke as well. I've got nothig against them attending matches obviously, but  keeping them together in their own stand is a joke.

The food bit is ok, why not just have it in all areas of the ground though? As in you can have a burger if you want, or the muslims in that section can have halal or whatever it is. Although it is setting a precedent, should Italians coming to watch the game expect pasta and pizza? Should French people living in England demand frogs legs and the likes? Of course not. Although as you say there does seem to be a strong presence of muslim fans at the games, so maybe the food isnt a bad idea.

All in all it's a bit of a disgarce to be fair. And it's discrimanation against Villa fans like yourself. You pay full whack for ya ticket, but the nice little muslims can get in cheaper and have there own tier to be with each other. Absolutely terrible.

Whilst there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to get different cultures involved in football, I'm unsure on some of the methods involved.

It's a tough one, as I'm not sure how else you would do it.

Absolute joke of an idea to be honest.

So they get cheap tickets....because they are muslims. That's a disgrace to be fair.

Just letting them have there own part of the ground? Absolute joke as well. I've got nothig against them attending matches obviously, but  keeping them together in their own stand is a joke.

The food bit is ok, why not just have it in all areas of the ground though? As in you can have a burger if you want, or the muslims in that section can have halal or whatever it is. Although it is setting a precedent, should Italians coming to watch the game expect pasta and pizza? Should French people living in England demand frogs legs and the likes? Of course not. Although as you say there does seem to be a strong presence of muslim fans at the games, so maybe the food isnt a bad idea.

All in all it's a bit of a disgarce to be fair. And it's discrimanation against Villa fans like yourself. You pay full whack for ya ticket, but the nice little muslims can get in cheaper and have there own tier to be with each other. Absolutely terrible.

Allah wept.

Just to encourage them to come initially though, like I said. And only tickets that weren't going to be sold anyway. It's actually not that philanthropic since it's about drumming up more business / getting more bums on seats. And if it makes the game more accessible to another aspect of society, all the better.

That's pretty much my take on it. This match was a stick-on to be the lowest crowd of the season (although it wasnt in the end), the club aren't that blind to money.

But if it makes the locals bond more with the club, and if it gets a few more of their kids wearing Villa shirts when they play football rather than Man United shirts, and if it gets a few of the ones who already do wear Villa shirts to actually go to the games, then it can only be a good thing.

As I said, we've got loads of Sikh and Hindu supporters, but there is a cultural divide between the club and the Muslim community. Surely it has to be worth making a small concession to close that divide?

The most encouraging thing is that so many of them turned up.

The food thing - Aye.

The no drink thing - no

You're getting it wrong (or maybe i described it badly).

The offer was for people living within a certain radius of the ground, regardless of race. It just happens that a sizeable majority of people living within a few streets of Villa Park are going to be muslim.

They had the choice to sit elsewhere in the ground, or to use that section of the ground, where booze wouldn't be served, and Halal food would be available.

Right, it was the bit where you said for muslim residents around VP and titled the thread 'muslim football fans' that has thrown me that its was about muslims only.  :lol:

If you are going to encourage EVERYONE around the ground to attend matches than fair enough, but it sounds that is not the case putting on special food and catering to Mulsims religious requirements.