Muslim football fans

brummie

Guest Knightrider

NUFC sent out fliers to Fenham a few years back targeting Asians only, with cheaper tickets and half price memberships and so forth to get more Asians into SJP. No specific stand or seating plans though. Many took it up and we have quite a good number of Asians attending SJP I think. If you walk towards Barrack Road from Fenham for example, you will see lots of Asians kitted out in their Toon kits heading towards SJP.

I think it's a good idea myself in general, but ideally football stadia should be inclusive to all and race, religion and ethnicity shouldn't even come into it. However, rightly or wrongly, quotas have to be filled and I'm in no doubt that NUFC like many other organisations has a positive discrimination policy (again rightly or wrongly) based on a quota, in terms of employment and attaining new customers/fans.

I would once look at such a thing as daft (the targeting of specific races etc.), but looking at the bigger picture, how else are you going to get Asians or Muslims into your stadium for example, you have to target them. The hope is that a few come along, enjoy it, pass the experience on and those quotas, positive discrimination policies and targeting of certain races or whatever, becomes obsolete at some point, which I think it will do.

I find it encouraging that a lot of Asians are starting to play football and are as passionate about the game as any. The number of Asian kids playing youth football is increasing while there are even one or two Asian coaches. All healthy for our game, NUFC and society in general. We could do with a top homegrown Asian player mind.

Gets my thumbs up.

There used to be this kid at Leeds, Harpal Singh or something. He was quite naff but the Asians I knew were excited about him (years ago).

I read a FourFourTwo article a while back that said that there's only 4 British-born Asians playing in the 4 leagues in England. Shame.

But we're more into being doctors and economists anyway ;)

There used to be this kid at Leeds, Harpal Singh or something. He was quite naff but the Asians I knew were excited about him (years ago).

I read a FourFourTwo article a while back that said that there's only 4 British-born Asians playing in the 4 leagues in England. Shame.

But we're more into being doctors and economists anyway ;)

Wasn't Chopra one of them?

From googling, I found..

Five other British Asians are also playing full-time professional football, albeit for clubs three divisions below the Premiership, and a growing number of younger Asians are joining the youth set-ups at England's 92 clubs. Rehman, though, is the only one to prove his talent at the highest level - so far.

Five other excluding Zesh Rehman. So six in total.

:lol:

Some of the overreactions on here are class. Its not like these people demanded no alcohol, halal food and cheap tickets. This was offered to all in the area around villa park, with there majority being muslim.

I am a muslim of Asian descent, who was born and raised in Newcastle and regularly attends games at SJP as well as the odd away game.

There is a fair number of regular asian muslim attenders at SJP that I know about.

Most muslims will not mind being in the presence of alcohol (some even drink) and as far as food is concerned halal food would be nice of course but isn't obviously gonna make a difference to whether people attend (don't normally go to a football match for a 3-course meal or owt) and obviously can eat things like chips, chocolates, soups and hot drinks anyway.

Although not specifically to do with muslims at Keegans 1st match against Bolton, Asian businessmen/women and families were given invites to attend a pre-match meal and view a few presentations by Chris Mort and Peter Beardsley. I attended this with a relative who was given a few invites. Even Mike Ashley himself came up into the box before the match kicked off (incidently with a pint of beer in hand from the bar) and had a chat with a few of us. This was obviously done to try and attract a few more Asians to SJP on matchdays.     

The reason why most muslims don't go to a football stadium in england is because of the Alcohol being sold there. The Koran states that "intoxicants" are forbidden and depending on how liberal your interpretation of the Koran is you may feel that being in a place that serves alcohol is also bad muslim practice. Most muslims accept that they will come into contact with and use establishments (hotels/aeroplanes...etc) which serve alcohol but this does not make them consume it, more conservative/radical interpretations would consider these places to be very unsuitable...

I think Villa was doing the right thing but went about it in the wrong way i.e. separation. They should have mixed them with the normal fans and the result would have been the same... Most wouldn't have gone to the bar at half time so there wouldn't be a problem.

The moment we start to segregate is the moment we'll have problems

TBF, you don't see many Asians at football full stop. At Watford, I see a few but considering the large Muslim/Pakistani community near Vicarage Road, you see none of them there. They all support big clubs, but don't attend. Why is this though?

Game really isn't very popular in India/Pakistan. Can't comment on how popular it is in the Middle East.

The lack of Halal food, the alcohol, and the rowdy atmosphere may also be contributing factors for those of them who are practicing Muslims.

Football is huge in India, both in terms of local attendances and through satellite TV.

In the middle east they're as mad about football as we are in the north east of England. (Egypt, UAE, Iran, Iraq etc etc)

The majority of muslims I know drink alcohol and I'm sure those who have been to Mecca would not think of an EPL game as having a "rowdy atmosphere"

As with any other section of society if they like football then go to the match, if not don't.

whats aston like as an area, i was thinking of going there for uni. i always thought aston villa wsa the posh side of birminghma?

Its not a nice place.

Birmingham city centre and its ameneties and attractions have been completley revitalised in the last few years and make its centre as good as anywhere,  but the signs of urban decay and division of the communities in the suburbs including Aston make it  a horrible place imo.

Aston University isn't in Aston, it is in the city centre, brilliant location (just PMed you, Chris)

All big cities have rundown areas, and Aston is certainly that. There are lots of suburbs like Sutton, Solihull, Harborne, Edgbaston which are anything but run down. But that's a different topic ;)

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

TBF, you don't see many Asians at football full stop. At Watford, I see a few but considering the large Muslim/Pakistani community near Vicarage Road, you see none of them there. They all support big clubs, but don't attend. Why is this though?

Game really isn't very popular in India/Pakistan. Can't comment on how popular it is in the Middle East.

The lack of Halal food, the alcohol, and the rowdy atmosphere may also be contributing factors for those of them who are practicing Muslims.

Football is huge in India, both in terms of local attendances and through satellite TV.

In the middle east they're as mad about football as we are in the north east of England. (Egypt, UAE, Iran, Iraq etc etc)

The majority of muslims I know drink alcohol and I'm sure those who have been to Mecca would not think of an EPL game as having a "rowdy atmosphere"

As with any other section of society if they like football then go to the match, if not don't.

Really? Those are some pretty poor muslims then. :lol:

Couldnt they have been more upfront about it and been very blatant about the fact that they were aiming it at Asians/Muslims.

Going with the angle that there had to be some untapped and wasted talent within the British Asian/Muslim community, if they encourage more to get involved in playing football and coming to football matches then that talent will come to the surface.

Surely nothing wrong in making sure that every avenue of the british population is scoured to find the best footballers we have.

What religion/origin is Agbonlahor ?

What religion/origin is Agbonlahor ?

Part Nigerian, part Scottish, part cheetah.

Bloody hell. Where in the ground would you put him  ;D

Until Saturday, I'd have said on the bench, but his goal seemed to revitalise him

Most Muslims I know are the same tbh, including mi padre. (I'm not a muslim, so I wouldn't include myself in that)

I work with a Blackburn fan and they've been trying the same thing for years with very little success.

I apply this to them and to everyone else - if you like football you like it - if you don't then nothing will make you.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Most Muslims I know are the same tbh, including mi padre. (I'm not a muslim, so I wouldn't include myself in that)

This isn't meant to be an attack on your father or anyone else but it just shows unfortunately, the way Islam is going tbh. Would your dad describe himself as a practising muslim?

Anyway back on topic, does anyone know if other prem clubs have done this before or are plannning to do it in the future? There are quite a lot of potential fans out there.

This isn't meant to be an attack on your father or anyone else but it just shows unfortunately, the way Islam is going tbh. Would your dad describe himself as a practising muslim?
Would he bollocks.  :lol:

I take no offence to that in slightest, I personally hate religion in general (Islam included to the fullest extent), everything about it, if anything I'm happy he is contributing.  O0

The fact that most of the Muslims he knows are Iranian who grew up before the revolution (himself included) will be a factor however. Supposedly a very western culture with the shah.

Guest dr_football

I am a muslim living in Egypt and still didnt get my chance to come visit SJP. But i am sure oneday i will be visiting with my wife and kid. There is nothing in my religion against doing it and i dont mind any of you guys having a drink around. I dont expect any favorable ticket pricing due to my religion or race. I would buy the ticket gladly and support the toon as much as i do now buying the shirts, souvenirs, and newcastle world subscription. What i would really expect of you guys not a separation but a warm welcome.

football has no race nor religion. lets not spoil it.

Why are we being treated like some mythical creatures from a plant far far away ???

I'm a Muslim and i've attened a few matchs  at SJP and other stadiums, i just do what everyone else does, buy my own ticket just like everyone else and support my team..

Because you're not a 'proper' Muslim, if you know what I mean. If your behaviour doesn't differ from the norm in a way that can be directly attributable to (or is characteristic of) your religion/race etc., you aren't considered to be a proper Muslim/Jew/Johnny Foreigner in the common, if not accurate, sense of the word.

I don't mean to be offensive; it's just something I've noticed living in a foreign country: there are foreigners, and there are foreigners. What the general populace understands by a word is often much more specific that what it really means.

I reckon there's quite a few reasons. There seems to be quite a lot of sikhs and hindus who support man utd; you always see them at OT. But I reckon quite a lot of ethnic minorities might be quite 'intimidated' if you will. I personally, despite being a black muslim, have never been intimidated by football and have had a season ticket for the last few seasons. I don't drink the alcohol, don't go into the pubs, don't wat the food inside whl etc. But I make it work and I love it.

However, I remember watching a show a few years ago; one of those appalling day time shows you watch when you are home sick. They found 2 fans, one black/indian ( can't remember) and one white who both had a season ticket at the same club. They did them over, changed their skin colours for the day and both noticed marked differences in the way they are treated at the match. Make of that what you will.

Not many Muslims get in to WHL,I wouldnt have thought.

I reckon there's quite a few reasons. There seems to be quite a lot of sikhs and hindus who support man utd; you always see them at OT. But I reckon quite a lot of ethnic minorities might be quite 'intimidated' if you will. I personally, despite being a black muslim, have never been intimidated by football and have had a season ticket for the last few seasons. I don't drink the alcohol, don't go into the pubs, don't wat the food inside whl etc. But I make it work and I love it.

However, I remember watching a show a few years ago; one of those appalling day time shows you watch when you are home sick. They found 2 fans, one black/indian ( can't remember) and one white who both had a season ticket at the same club. They did them over, changed their skin colours for the day and both noticed marked differences in the way they are treated at the match. Make of that what you will.

Not many Muslims get in to WHL,I wouldnt have thought.

Well it is London....so maybe not

I am a muslim living in Egypt and still didnt get my chance to come visit SJP. But i am sure oneday i will be visiting with my wife and kid. There is nothing in my religion against doing it and i dont mind any of you guys having a drink around. I dont expect any favorable ticket pricing due to my religion or race. I would buy the ticket gladly and support the toon as much as i do now buying the shirts, souvenirs, and newcastle world subscription. What i would really expect of you guys not a separation but a warm welcome.

football has no race nor religion. lets not spoil it.

Hope you make it some day and have a great trip.  :thup: