Senderos Vs Taylor

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When do you expect he'll gain the experience though, given he has over 100 starts for the club?

He's only 21/22 he's still a bairn in terms of footballing development.

Playing with better teams and better players always improves you. The last few years haven't been easy for our defenders, ever since we lost Shearer, Bellamy and Robert. Last year we lost Solano too. To a degree dire went but he hardly played and when he did he wasn't arsed a lot of the time. Don't you see what a difference this makes to the overall pattern, shape of the team and development of all the players at the club ?

I've seen loads of defenders improve as they get older. Loads, and not just at Newcastle. Bobby Moncur had no pace, but he was a good captain. As a defender he improved all through his career, I'm sure he wasn't even a regular first team player until he was in his early 20's. Ollie Burton too was a  "right-half" who converted to a centre half in his mid 20's and became one of the best we have had.

Kenny Burns was always a decent player at Birmingham. But moving to Forest and playing in a top side transformed him into one of the best around. This is how it is. He needs to step up from playing in a team of the standard he's played in for the last year or two into a better side, and if its with us he can and should perform much better himself.

Fair enough. I don't think he's as bad as some make out, but he's not good enough IMO. We can't afford to wait for him to iron out the individual errors he's been making from day one - these are still occuring irrespective of who he's been playing alongside, which isn't a good sign.

Great argument that. Could have been used for Smith and Duff starting every week in which case we'd probably have been relegated.

Apart from the fact Smith & Duff dont start. Also we have better players than them two in there positions. I dont think we have any better centre backs than Taylor & Faye.

My view is just like Smith and Duff were rated way above their contribution, so is Taylor. I am pretty sure Cacapa would dovetail nicely with Faye, as would Rozenhal IMO.

WUM?

To be fair, i happen to think that Cacapa and Roz may still have a role in the team, Roz especially, i think he was unlucky and suffered from a series of unfortunate circumstances and bad man management.

Cacapa for me is still a good defender as well, although too weak, Roz however isnt weak contrare to popular belief and lost alot of confidence which effected his performances.

how can you say he's a good defender then say he's too weak [for a central defender]

Because he is a good defender, he has good attributes minus the strength, put him in any other league and he'd be fine, its just this league is too physical for him. Strength is an attribute just like pace, if a defender has no pace does that make him a bad defender as well?

Man you really dont know much about football do you?

Have you ever played football?

strength is imperative for a central defender in the premiership ?

You say I know nothing about football ? haha. class that like  bluelaugh.gif

Well that's the point about Taylor, he isn't very strong either. I see him getting barged aside same as Rozenhal. If neither of them are very dominant, then you have to balance other strengths and weaknesses. Taylor's used to the Premier, and has a good attitude which is probably keeping him in the team. I doubt he's going to be a top defender though fromn what I've seen. Aaron Hughes/Andy O'Brien level at best for me. I hope he proves me wrong (but I doubt it).

you must be looking at a different player to me if you think Taylor lacks strength.

He lacks experience, he has dived into tackles, ball watched, mistimed some challenges, got caught out of position sometimes.  All defenders do this. These things improve if the player wants them to improve. It all comes with experience and the confidence of playing alongside better players in a better team. He's at a crossroads in his career I wouldn't dispute that. Playing in a better side is what he needs now.

He's much better than Aaron Hughes and Andy O'Brien, and he's better than Cacapa and Rozenhal.

To be fair, he lacks the strength required to become the Terry type defender, well does at the moment. Look at the likes of Faye, Campbell, Terry, Vidic, even Bramble to see how weak he is comparitively speaking. That is a major flaw forhim if he wants to thrive in that position.

Also the bit in bold....what is it that Roz and Cacapa have done which is any worse than what you've mentioned yet still make them classifiable as "s***"

having seen them brushed aside by the physical challenge, I find that an amazing question

and that in your book makes them worse defenders thana defender who :

He lacks experience, he has dived into tackles, ball watched, mistimed some challenges, got caught out of position sometimes

Okey dokey.

When do you expect he'll gain the experience though, given he has over 100 starts for the club?

Playing with better teams and better players always improves you. The last few years haven't been easy for our defenders, ever since we lost Shearer, Bellamy and Robert. Last year we lost Solano too. To a degree dire went but he hardly played and when he did he wasn't arsed a lot of the time. Don't you see what a difference this makes to the overall pattern, shape of the team and development of all the players at the club ?

I've seen loads of defenders improve as they get older. Loads, and not just at Newcastle. Bobby Moncur had no pace, but he was a good captain. As a defender he improved all through his career, I'm sure he wasn't even a regular first team player until he was in his early 20's. Ollie Burton too was a  "right-half" who converted to a centre half in his mid 20's and became one of the best we have had.

Kenny Burns was always a decent player at Birmingham. But moving to Forest and playing in a top side transformed him into one of the best around. This is how it is. He needs to step up from playing in a team of the standard he's played in for the last year or two into a better side, and if its with us he can and should perform much better himself.

Fair enough. I don't think he's as bad as some make out, but he's not good enough IMO. We can't afford to wait for him to iron out the individual errors he's been making from day one - these are still occuring irrespective of who he's been playing alongside, which isn't a good sign.

man for man, I'm quite happy with our current back 4, especially with Beye.  I concede we can do better, of course, and we need strength in depth. Edgar might be a player on the fringe who can cover all positions for the moment unless we get an opportunity to bring in someone who can go straight into the first team. Maybe Edgar can step up himself. He looked a bit nervy last week, but he was excellent playing against Manu last season and he is very tall which helps especially if you are a centre back.

Your whole reading of the game improves when you play at the back for a good team with better players around you.

Great argument that. Could have been used for Smith and Duff starting every week in which case we'd probably have been relegated.

Apart from the fact Smith & Duff dont start. Also we have better players than them two in there positions. I dont think we have any better centre backs than Taylor & Faye.

My view is just like Smith and Duff were rated way above their contribution, so is Taylor. I am pretty sure Cacapa would dovetail nicely with Faye, as would Rozenhal IMO.

WUM?

To be fair, i happen to think that Cacapa and Roz may still have a role in the team, Roz especially, i think he was unlucky and suffered from a series of unfortunate circumstances and bad man management.

Cacapa for me is still a good defender as well, although too weak, Roz however isnt weak contrare to popular belief and lost alot of confidence which effected his performances.

how can you say he's a good defender then say he's too weak [for a central defender]

Because he is a good defender, he has good attributes minus the strength, put him in any other league and he'd be fine, its just this league is too physical for him. Strength is an attribute just like pace, if a defender has no pace does that make him a bad defender as well?

Well that's the point about Taylor, he isn't very strong either. I see him getting barged aside same as Rozenhal. If neither of them are very dominant, then you have to balance other strengths and weaknesses. Taylor's used to the Premier, and has a good attitude which is probably keeping him in the team. I doubt he's going to be a top defender though fromn what I've seen. Aaron Hughes/Andy O'Brien level at best for me. I hope he proves me wrong (but I doubt it).

you must be looking at a different player to me if you think Taylor lacks strength.

He lacks experience, he has dived into tackles, ball watched, mistimed some challenges, got caught out of position sometimes.  All defenders do this. These things improve if the player wants them to improve. It all comes with experience and the confidence of playing alongside better players in a better team. He's at a crossroads in his career I wouldn't dispute that. Playing in a better side is what he needs now.

He's much better than Aaron Hughes and Andy O'Brien, and he's better than Cacapa and Rozenhal.

To be fair, he lacks the strength required to become the Terry type defender, well does at the moment. Look at the likes of Faye, Campbell, Terry, Vidic, even Bramble to see how weak he is comparitively speaking. That is a major flaw forhim if he wants to thrive in that position.

Also the bit in bold....what is it that Roz and Cacapa have done which is any worse than what you've mentioned yet still make them classifiable as "s***"

having seen them brushed aside by the physical challenge, I find that an amazing question

He lacks experience, he has dived into tackles, ball watched, mistimed some challenges, got caught out of position sometimes

Okey dokey.

you've never played football and have very little understanding of it, if you are trying to say that no 21/22 year old defender ever does things like this sometimes.

WUM?

Wow, not only did you miss the entire point of the post, you didnt answer the question/s. Now there is a surprise.

Just because he's not the strongest, it doesnt make him a bad defender, do you understand?

Just like Shearer wasnt the quickest....

Take it you never did play football then, trust me, you'd understand it a little more if you had, different perspective etc etc

You know nowt about me, I think you know nowt about football, you certainly understand very little about the potential of Newcastle United.

Garth Crooks played football, and he was a good player, so are you saying he knows what he's talking about  bluelaugh.gif

Hit a sore point there then. Sorry...

Mourhino couldnt even make it as a pro, does that mean he hasnt used his experience and  perspective of football to his advantage.....this game could go on for a long time.

To say that a defender or a player is crap becasue he lacks a certain attribute to his game sounds a bit blindsighted to me.

Basically what im saying is that you're wrong.

I'm not wrong. You're not in the real world.

A central defender who lacks strength, in this country, is no use to you.

WUM?

Okey dokey.

you've never played football and have very little understanding of it, if you are trying to say that no 21/22 year old defender ever does things like this sometimes.

Again missing the point.

Sound like you're on the defensive a little there.

WUM?

Wow, not only did you miss the entire point of the post, you didnt answer the question/s. Now there is a surprise.

Just because he's not the strongest, it doesnt make him a bad defender, do you understand?

Take it you never did play football then, trust me, you'd understand it a little more if you had, different perspective etc etc

You know nowt about me, I think you know nowt about football, you certainly understand very little about the potential of Newcastle United.

Garth Crooks played football, and he was a good player, so are you saying he knows what he's talking about  bluelaugh.gif

Mourhino couldnt even make it as a pro, does that mean he hasnt used his experience and  perspective of football to his advantage.....this game could go on for a long time.

To say that a defender or a player is crap becasue he lacks a certain attribute to his game sounds a bit blindsighted to me.

I thought that had been made clear regarding the PL over the last few years.

WUM?

You say I know nothing about football ? haha. class that like bluelaugh.gif

Garth Crooks played football, and he was a good player, so are you saying he knows what he's talking about bluelaugh.gif

Mourhino couldnt even make it as a pro, does that mean he hasnt used his experience and perspective of football to his advantage.....this game could go on for a long time.

And finally we may be getting somewhere, does that make him a bad defender then?

Man this is so easy, the concept is actually easier then having to explain it to you.

EDIT: actually to make this argument a little easier, do you fancy telling me where i said he's a good EPL defender? Becasue i sure as hell cant find a quote.

All ive said is that he's a good defender, and righlty so.

Fair enough i say they still have roles in the squad, especially Roz, but that is my opinion, Carvahllo is a prime example of someone who deals well with little strength.

man for man, I'm quite happy with our current back 4, especially with Beye.  I concede we can do better, of course, and we need strength in depth. Edgar might be a player on the fringe who can cover all positions for the moment unless we get an opportunity to bring in someone who can go straight into the first team. Maybe Edgar can step up himself. He looked a bit nervy last week, but he was excellent playing against Manu last season and he is very tall which helps especially if you are a centre back.

Your whole reading of the game improves when you play at the back for a good team with better players around you.

Completley agree with this. Although, i'd like see us add one first class centre half to partner Faye and i will be content going into next season.

Taylor has been anything but crap, he's just the scape goat.

I'm not convinced by the Taylor's "just a bairn" argument either. Defenders might improve with age, but if they don't have  good anticipation, timing and positional sense, it's not likely they are suddenly going to acquire them. Titus Bramble being a prime example. The other excuse that it's far easier to be playing in a team with confidence, that's true. But themn who's to say Cacapa or Rozenhal wouldn't look far better in this current team?

Completley agree with this. Although, i'd like see us add one first class centre half to partner Faye and i will be content going into next season.

How has he been the scape goat?

He's been poor this season and was average the season before, how long do you expect people to stand by someone who isn't putting the performances in for the club? all this while getting his dad to go to the local press trying to get him a bumper pay rise. You've said yourself that you want a new partner in for Faye so you don't even rate him that highly or you wouldn't want him replaced.

I'd get rid of him in the Summer while his value is still quite high, he's just a very average player who doesn't shine in any area of his game.

How has he been the scape goat?

He's been poor this season and was average the season before, how long do you expect people to stand by someone who isn't putting the performances in for the club? all this while getting his dad to go to the local press trying to get him a bumper pay rise. You've said yourself that you want a new partner in for Faye so you don't even rate him that highly or you wouldn't want him replaced.

I'd get rid of him in the Summer while his value is still quite high, he's just a very average player who doesn't shine in any area of his game.

Aaron Hughes had those exact same 'qualities'.

WUM?

And finally we may be getting somewhere, does that make him a bad defender then?

Man this is so easy, the concept is actually easier then having to explain it to you.

EDIT: actually to make this argument a little easier, do you fancy telling me where i said he's a good EPL defender? Becasue i sure as hell cant find a quote.

All ive said is that he's a good defender, and righlty so.

Fair enough i say they still have roles in the squad, especially Roz, but that is my opinion, Carvahllo is a prime example of someone who deals well with little strength.

what is EPL ?

Are you in the states, or abroad, or something

Guest Sniffer

I couldn't give a fuck if cacapa has a game that is suited to a foreign league. He's nowhere near good enough to play consistently at the Toon in the premier league. We need beter so let him go to france or wherever his non physical game is acceptable. It isn't here.

:lol:

When in doubt, check where they're from. ;)

I've got no doubt that if you are living in the states, or anywhere abroad, you aren't so well informed as someone who goes to games. And thats putting it mildly

I couldn't give a fuck if cacapa has a game that is suited to a foreign league. He's nowhere near good enough to play consistently at the Toon in the premier league. We need beter so let him go to france or wherever his non physical game is acceptable. It isn't here.

thats the way, tell it like it is

I've got no doubt that if you are living in the states, or anywhere abroad, you aren't so well informed as someone who goes to games. And thats putting it mildly

I'd agree with you tbh. But what's that got to do with anything? Have you run out of arguments to put to him?

BTW Dave, I take it you aren't going to retract your statement that is was me who stoked up the fire with baggy, gol and mick now I've clearly shown it was the other way round

bluelaugh.gif

I'd agree with you tbh. But what's that got to do with anything? Have you run out of arguments to put to him?

there is plenty more where they came from, but I HAVE run out of patience for the moment anyway

WUM?

Don't blame me if you can't see the bigger picture.

If your bigger picture has Rosie or Cacapa any where near our starting XI, on there previous form shown then I dont want to. Keegan was right to loan Roz out & right to drop Cacapa, do you disagree?

Just for the record, I dont give a shit who plays just as long as it is our best players. If Steven Taylor scores 3 own goals & plays through balls for Defoe today, than I will want him dropped. If Cacapa turns back the clock or Rosie is inspired from being a sub at the ground Nesta used to play at great. It is all about Newcastle United the team for me.

Rosie is gone he has mouthed off too much while he has been way & is not a team player as was showed with him being arsey about being asked to cover a few postions. KK wont have him back, well he will if there are no buyers.

More knocking of others to try and defend Taylor.