NUFC want to offer Owen new deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can't see him going to Man City with a stadium 2/3 full most of the time. None of the top 4 seem to want him. I think he'll stay, he's obviously happier since KK arrived and we started playing the three upfront.

He's not worth £100k/week so unless he's willing to take a salary cut/Mort makes sure his salary doesn't impact prospective signings' salaries, he can fuck off.

This. No way he should get a payrise. What has he done in his time here to deserve it?

TBF when he has had a consistant run in the team he has scored goals. He could argue his days of being so injury prone are behind him so he will be in the team consistantly alot more often.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If you can name me one striker who can match Owen on all of the following i would agree about selling, if not we must keep

- Is as marketable as Owen

- Has as much premiership experience as Owen

- Has as good a goal scoring record as Owen at an equivalent level (Italy or Spain)

- Costs less than Owen, remember no transfer fee is required

TBF when he has had a consistant run in the team he has scored goals. He could argue his days of being so injury prone are behind him so he will be in the team consistantly alot more often.

How often has he had a consistant run since he has been here? Not that long ago people were talking about him being finished. A run of goals and the finished crock is now worth a payrise on his already massive wage!

Guest rebel_yell12

Just a question, for those saying Owen isn't worth 100k per week.  Who is?  Of the players at Newcastle, who (if any) would you pay that much?  Also, who in the Premiership do you think IS worth such a sum?  What makes a player worth any given amount?

For me, Michael Owen is worth the highest salary at Newcastle.  He's the most prestigious player on the books, and in my opinion, the finest player Newcastle currently possess.  He's shown real class with the adjustment to his new role, and he's doing well as captain.  He's an experienced international, and has a wonderful reputation that can help bring in new players/talent.  He's not disruptive in the dressing room, and in fact seems rather popular with both coaches and his fellow players.  To get in a similar player, similar wages would have to be offered, as well as a new transfer fee.  Seems more reasonable to keep the current lad, to me.  If players like Viduka are on 65k or similar, if Martins is to be offered/asking 80-90k (rumours), then Owen is worth 100k.  

I'd love to see Owen stay at Newcastle, and on the same wages.  Would be surprised, and perhaps a bit disappointed, to see "improved" terms, unless by improved it is meant that his terms do not include any clauses beyond a relegation clause (he had one at Liverpool, according to rumours, "just in case" the worst should ever happen, like Leeds -- a wise insistence, imo).   I expect he'd be more interested in hearing the plans for moving up the table and getting Newcastle back to Europe, if possible, than in earning more money.  He's got more money than he needs as it is -- but these lads are all competitive and want to be winning things.  

Guest sicko2ndbest

Does anybody have a list of what each individual player makes?

I would say the top earners are:

Approx

Owen 102000

Duff 70000

Viduka 70000

Barton 65000

Emre 60000

Geremi 55000

Martins 50000

No one in a team in the bottom half is worth more than £50k or so imo.

True, but start paying bottom half wages and you'll end up with bottom half players.  Big money is one of things that keeps the club able to attract better players than our league finishes should merit.  That said, Owen is a good player and I want us to keep him, but I wouldn't be paying much more than he's already on.  I can't see why he'd want more money anyway.  How can you spend all that?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Berbatov?

Woodgate? Keane? Alves? Bent (reported 90+)?

Just a question, for those saying Owen isn't worth 100k per week.  Who is?  Of the players at Newcastle, who (if any) would you pay that much?  Also, who in the Premiership do you think IS worth such a sum?  What makes a player worth any given amount?

For me, Michael Owen is worth the highest salary at Newcastle.  He's the most prestigious player on the books, and in my opinion, the finest player Newcastle currently possess.  He's shown real class with the adjustment to his new role, and he's doing well as captain.  He's an experienced international, and has a wonderful reputation that can help bring in new players/talent.  He's not disruptive in the dressing room, and in fact seems rather popular with both coaches and his fellow players.  To get in a similar player, similar wages would have to be offered, as well as a new transfer fee.  Seems more reasonable to keep the current lad, to me.  If players like Viduka are on 65k or similar, if Martins is to be offered/asking 80-90k (rumours), then Owen is worth 100k.  

I'd love to see Owen stay at Newcastle, and on the same wages.  Would be surprised, and perhaps a bit disappointed, to see "improved" terms, unless by improved it is meant that his terms do not include any clauses beyond a relegation clause (he had one at Liverpool, according to rumours, "just in case" the worst should ever happen, like Leeds -- a wise insistence, imo).   I expect he'd be more interested in hearing the plans for moving up the table and getting Newcastle back to Europe, if possible, than in earning more money.  He's got more money than he needs as it is -- but these lads are all competitive and want to be winning things.  

None of our players are worth £100k a week but a few of them probably on less than half his wage have done more for Newcastle in his time than he has. Its not like injuries is just some bad luck at Newcastle either, ok he had big ones here but he also had lots of little niggles ever since he arrived.

Players earning £100k a week is silly but the top players are top clubs earn around that much and Owen doesn't do as much for us as they do for their clubs.

True, but start paying bottom half wages and you'll end up with bottom half players.  Big money is one of things that keeps the club able to attract better players than our league finishes should merit.  That said, Owen is a good player and I want us to keep him, but I wouldn't be paying much more than he's already on.  I can't see why he'd want more money anyway.  How can you spend all that?

I'm not advocating that we start paying 'bottom half wages' but what we're paying atm is actually top 4 wages and Owen ain't a top 4 player imo. Similarly, if Duff's earning £70k, then that's about double what he's been worth for us as well. I understand the fact that we bought these players with high expectations and didn't necessarily buy the player that we currently have on our hands now which is why with Owen, he needs to accept lower, more acceptable terms or there'd be no good reason to keep him on. I reckon his value for us might be peaking so if we can get something near £10m for him, I'd let him go in an instant.

I'd like to think that football as a whole will end up with a more incentive-based pay structure. So for someone like Owen, if we're creative enough, we could pay him a base salary of £30k, then he gets £30k/week if he completes 40 appearances in a season, gets an extra £15k if we finish in the top half, extra £15k if we finish top 6 etc. etc. and hopefully if we have a fantastic season, we'll be justified in paying him £120k/week or whatever the bonuses add up to.

If an incentive-laden pay-structure like this is ever fully implemented, it'd be a win-win for both the player and the club as he can obviously maximise his income and the club can minimize their risk.

Guest Sniffer

Owen might be overpaid at 100K but what about the players who are probably around the 50-60K mark? We have far too many who don't deserve that amount of money. Emre for instance. Too many of these players are vastly overpaid here and wouldn't get anything close if they left.

Guest Sniffer

I'd like to think that football as a whole will end up with a more incentive-based pay structure. So for someone like Owen, if we're creative enough, we could pay him a base salary of £30k, then he gets £30k/week if he completes 40 appearances in a season, gets an extra £15k if we finish in the top half, extra £15k if we finish top 6 etc. etc. and hopefully if we have a fantastic season, we'll be justified in paying him £120k/week or whatever the bonuses add up to.

If an incentive-laden pay-structure like this is ever fully implemented, it'd be a win-win for both the player and the club as he can obviously maximise his income and the club can minimize their risk.

errr......How old are you?

Owen might be overpaid at 100K but what about the players who are probably around the 50-60K mark? We have far too many who don't deserve that amount of money. Emre for instance. Too many of these players are vastly overpaid here and wouldn't get anything close if they left.

I've made a similar point in the past, I think it was regarding Diarra who reportedly wanted a fortune in wages. I'd rather pay Owen £100k than the likes of Smith, Duff and Carr £50k each.

If a player is good enough, pay him.