Roy Keane - hard man ?

Benwell Lad

The sycophantic press seem to wallow in the idea of Roy Keane the hard man and I think he himself has played it up since becoming a manager, wanting to exploit the image of the "mean and moody one" as that smoggy idiot on BBC likes to refer to him.

But is Keane really a hard man ? 

He certainly started the annoying habit of players surrounding referees after every adverse decision during his days as Alex Ferguson's captain constantly whingeing at officials. 

His most infamous tackle when he intentionally ended the carreer of fellow pro Alf Inge Haaland was cynical and cowardly and he later blabbed about doing it on purpose. Hard men normally get on with things quietly and say very little.

When he was confronted by a "hard man" e.g. when Shearer stood up to him, his arse fell out. Cowards always hate people standing up to them.

No, when you compare him to genuine hard men like Shearer, David Batty, John McGrath or even their own Joe Bolton or hard but fair Kevin Ball I'm not sure Keane is the tough man he likes to act.

Keane - pit bull or irritating yappy terrier ?  Probably the latter.

The sycophantic press seem to wallow in the idea of Roy Keane the hard man and I think he himself has played it up since becoming a manager, wanting to exploit the image of the "mean and moody one" as that smoggy idiot on BBC likes to refer to him.

He certainly started the annoying habit of players surrounding referees after every adverse decision during his days as Alex Ferguson's captain constantly whingeing at officials. 

His most infamous tackle when he intentionally ended the carreer of fellow pro Alf Inge Haaland was cynical and cowardly and he later blabbed about doing it on purpose. Hard men normally get on with things quietly and say very little.

When he was confronted by a "hard man" e.g. when Shearer stood up to him, his arse fell out. Cowards always hate people standing up to them.

No, when you compare him to genuine hard men like Shearer, David Batty, John McGrath or even their own Joe Bolton or hard but fair Kevin Ball I'm not sure Keane is the tough man he likes to act.

read his book.

Apparently he used to stick up for his mates against lads much bigger than he was when he was young, and invariably won.

Hate to say this but we've no idea who would have won if he had managed to get to Shearer that day he lost his rag

How did Keane's arse fall out when Shearer stood upto him? He had to be restrained.

was watching that yesterday, courtesy of transferring videos onto DVD's.

Beckham pulled Keane away, and someone else quickly helped him. Keane quickly calmed down otherwise I've no doubt at all he would have seriously attacked Shearer, his face was a mask and he was completely gone and unafraid

How did Keane's arse fall out when Shearer stood upto him? He had to be restrained.

Beckham pulled Keane away, and someone else quickly helped him. Keane quickly calmed down otherwise I've no doubt at all he would have seriously attacked Shearer, his face was a mask and he was completely gone and unafraid

Was a class moment like, didn't have a clue what fully went on until afterwards like, as was in the Leazes end that day.

Was a class moment like, didn't have a clue what fully went on until afterwards like, as was in the Leazes end that day.

same here mate, I didnt' see the Bowyer and Dire fight either as I was following the ball.

My old place in the centre paddock was best !!!

read his book.

Apparently he used to stick up for his mates against lads much bigger than he was when he was young, and invariably won.

Hate to say this but we've no idea who would have won if he had managed to get to Shearer that day he lost his rag

So Keane talked hard about himself in his book ? Really.

Guest Knightrider

I think Keane was embarrassed by his actions at SJP with Shearer and even admitted in his book that Shearer won that personal dual if you like by remaining cool, where as he lost it. Btw Keane admires Shearer greatly and vice versa. If they were team-mates they'd probably be the best of mates. Two of the best competitors our game has seen in my opinion.

read his book.

nah, it was a biography, or ghosted by someone else. Can't remember.

Like other books, it gets other people to tell what they know of him in parts too.

Divvent knaa why people automatically think Shearer would have came off best in that one, its not the case. Keane had completely lost it.

Has anyone any recollections of Shearer being a hard lad, apart from the supposed incident with Gillespie ?

I remember Shearer roughing up Mellberg at Villa Park not too long ago too. Mellberg had gone in hard on one of our lightweights at the time [not sure who, tbh] and a minute later as he was shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, Shearer slid in and made sure Mellberg shepherded ball right up to the bill board in front of me. :laugh:

Bryan Robson.

Now he was f****** hard.

Agreed.

A real hard man not just a yappy whinger who did little else "hard" other than harangue referees and break a fellow pros leg on purpose.

you don't like Roy Keane then ?

Fair enough

read his book.

Like other books, it gets other people to tell what they know of him in parts too.

Divvent knaa why people automatically think Shearer would have came off best in that one, its not the case. Keane had completely lost it.

Has anyone any recollections of Shearer being a hard lad, apart from the supposed incident with Gillespie ?

Shearer's whole persona and play was displayed real mental toughness - hard doesn't necessarily mean chinning people.

Wyn Davies was probably the hardest centre forward I've seen. The punishment he took from Inter Milan's defence in that Fairs Cup game was unbelievable but he just got on with it and kept going.

I remember Shearer roughing up Mellberg at Villa Park not too long ago too. Mellberg had gone in hard on one of our lightweights at the time [not sure who, tbh] and a minute later as he was shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, Shearer slid in and made sure Mellberg shepherded ball right up to the bill board in front of me. :laugh:

yes, but doing things during the course of a game is completely different to standing up and being prepared to slug it out with somebody.

Keane also broke Alfie Haarlands leg deliberately and for that he should have been banned for a long long time. Not the same as a genuine fight.

Bryan Robson.

Now he was f****** hard.

Agreed.

A real hard man not just a yappy whinger who did little else "hard" other than harangue referees and break a fellow pros leg on purpose.

you don't like Roy Keane then ?

Fair enough

You do ?

Also fair enough.

read his book.

Shearer's whole persona and play was displayed real mental toughness - hard doesn't necessarily mean chinning people.

Wyn Davies was probably the hardest centre forward I've seen. The punishment he took from Inter Milan's defence in that Fairs Cup game was unbelievable but he just got on with it and kept going.

I don't disagree that Shearer behaved admirably in restraining himself. He may have been worried though ?

Wyn Davies = legend. Brilliant bloke and tough as they come.