Allardyce's training sessions..

Dont know if this has been posted already

Keegan’s brought back fun at UnitedMay 3 2008

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United assistant boss Chris Hughton has revealed the secret behind the Kevin Keegan-led renaissance that has electrified St James’s Park over the last two months – a change in emphasis on the training pitch aimed at getting his players to enjoy their work again.

Hughton was brought into the United coaching staff on Keegan’s orders after Sam Allardyce’s deputy Nigel Pearson departed to take over at Southampton, and he has been credited with playing a key role in the defensive improvements that have been behind Newcastle’s run of seven unbeaten games.

And the former Tottenham coach, who was speaking to promote the Show Racism the Red Card initiative yesterday, believes the changes on the training pitch since Keegan took over from Allardyce have been pivotal to their improved form. Keegan does not take a lead role on the training pitch, instead allowing coaches Steve Round and Hughton to do most of the sessions while the manager takes an overview and amends things where he believes they need to be changed.

And that has proved a successful formula with the players, who have responded with better results and much-improved morale.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

“At some clubs you have a manager who does all of the training and it’s very difficult to do,” said Hughton. “When you watch Kevin he allows myself and Steve Round to take most of the training and he then has an overview and changes things that need changing.

“Kevin has a way of working – he wants players to enjoy training and to get fulfillment from training. He wants them to have a spring in their step and a smile on their face – that’s what he wants and I think that is what he’s got now.

“What I’ve seen from the time I’ve been here is that he has focused on that and from that you can go on to get results. Once you’ve cracked that it gives you the confidence and that is such an important thing – it helps you win football matches.

“One thing I saw from the outside when Kevin first came in was that he had some terribly-difficult matches when he was settling in. The big change was the Birmingham game away from home – we should have gone on and won it but despite not winning we gained terrific confidence from that.

“We changed the system to go to a three up front and it came off. Confidence is a big thing – you look at Sunderland and it wasn’t one of our best performances but we won the game. It was the same (when we drew) against West Ham. They are the type of results you get when you’re confident.”

I'm pleased as f*ck he was there to witness that today. First-half with Keegan's system and first choice XI, we were competing, and although were nothing special, looked like we could get a result. Second-half, and in particularly the last ten minutes...N'Zogbia left-back, Duff left-wing, Barton on the right, Smith on the pitch...completely different to what we've witnessed the last 2 months, and a big f*ck off to Allardyce and what he did.

Guest Deep456

Wait your all wrong. He is next to the players during his speech but has the headgear with a mic. he uses all the time to be clearer to the players so they can all hear him.

Guest Deep456

Wait your all wrong. He is next to the players during his speech but has the headgear with a mic. he uses all the time to be clearer to the players so they can all hear him.

This.

This.

We all know that. The thread was more about his distance from the players and his aparent stifling of individuality than anything else, but then again you don't have the mental or emoional maturity to realise that.

What GeJon said.

Guest Deep456

This.

We all know that. The thread was more about his distance from the players and his aparent stifling of individuality than anything else, but then again you don't have the mental or emoional maturity to realise that.

What GeJon said.

Your having a dig at me for no reason. As you said at a "little boy", pretty sad really. Also I think you meant emotional  :thup:. Atleast my spelling is of a high "maturity" standard. 

Your having a dig at me for no reason. As you said at a "little boy", pretty sad really. Also I think you meant emotional  :thup:. Atleast my spelling is of a high "maturity" standard. 

No it isn't.

Go away you boring little boy.

That reminded me of those market stall traders selling their towels/joints of meat using a microphone which is attached to a makeshift coathanger necklace.

;D