Chelski Clear Out - who do you fancy

Rob W

Guest float one in

Sidwell is absolutely pathetic. He's had one good season and cashed in on it. I'd hate to see us sign someone without any sort of ambition whatsoever. He is the exact type of player that we should be avoiding - no quality and hungry for money. No thanks.

I've got a bit of an issue with people saying 'such and such has just gone there for the money'. I know it does happen that some players only move for money sometimes (Luque confirmed that with comments in the press earlier this season), but how do you know Sidwell went there for money? People say the same about Ben Haim.

If I was Sidwell, had just played a very good season in the Premier League, and was getting rave reviews left right and centre, I'd be incredibly ****ing confident in my ability. If Chelsea, at the time probably the most competitive team in England, who I happen to have supported as a bairn, come in for me I would probably be backing myself to secure a spot in the first team at some point. Alright, I'd have to bide my time until Essien or whoever got injured, but when the chance came I'd be saying to myself right I'm going to make this shirt my own and I won't give it up. Same with Ben Haim - very highly rated centre half, and neither Terry nor Carvalho have been without injury problems, he might very well have fancied his chances of staking a claim in the best first teams in Europe.

Of course he may have gone for the money, but isn't the scenario I've just described above just as likely? So why do people assume he's gone only for the money and has no hunger or ambition? Has he come out and said "I'm not fussed about playing football as long as I'm getting payed loads"? If he'd signed for us under Roeder, instead of Chelsea, there'd probably be more justification in saying he had no ambition, in my opinion. 

If Sidwell thought he was going to get and stay ahead of:

Lampard

Essien

Ballack

Mikel

Diarra

or even:

Kalou

Cole

SWP

Robben

in the Chelsea midfield then he's a bloody idiot.

Guest float one in

Lampard

Essien

Ballack

Mikel

Diarra

or even:

Kalou

Cole

SWP

Robben

Thats as maybe, but my point still stands - what's to say he didn't fancy his chances? How can we know?

If I'd been a 24 year old striker in 96, and KK wanted to sign me from a smaller club after I'd just had a good first season in the Premier League, probably to be cover for Shearer, Les, Tino and Pedro, would I have signed regardless of wages? Of course I would. Would it mean I had no ambition or hunger? No. If I didn't get a look in I could always have moved somewhere else after a couple of seasons. As I see it, that's more or less what Sidwell has done.

Guest Sniffer

IMO, chelski signed both sidwell and haim to prevent other teams getting them just because they could. They never needed them and it was obvious that they were only going as squad members barely making the bench.

IMO, chelski signed both sidwell and haim to prevent other teams getting them just because they could. They never needed them and it was obvious that they were only going as squad members barely making the bench.

Same goes for Mikel. Probably a few others too - SWP etc.

How does the same go for Mikel?

How does the same go for Mikel?

You're right, scratch that :lol: I do think they do it though.

Guest guinness_fiend

Lampard

Essien

Ballack

Mikel

Diarra

or even:

Kalou

Cole

SWP

Robben

Thats as maybe, but my point still stands - what's to say he didn't fancy his chances? How can we know?

If I'd been a 24 year old striker in 96, and KK wanted to sign me from a smaller club after I'd just had a good first season in the Premier League, probably to be cover for Shearer, Les, Tino and Pedro, would I have signed regardless of wages? Of course I would. Would it mean I had no ambition or hunger? No. If I didn't get a look in I could always have moved somewhere else after a couple of seasons. As I see it, that's more or less what Sidwell has done.

I totally agree.

It was Chelsea who took Mikel to Lyn Oslo in the first place and paid for all of his fee's while he was there on the condition that they had first refusal on him, the Lyn boss forged a contract claiming he'd signed for them professionally and then sold him to Man Utd.

Sidwell is absolutely pathetic. He's had one good season and cashed in on it. I'd hate to see us sign someone without any sort of ambition whatsoever. He is the exact type of player that we should be avoiding - no quality and hungry for money. No thanks.

I think you will find he is also a Chelsea supporter, his dad cried when he first saw him in a Chelsea shirt.

I think you will find he is also a Chelsea supporter, his dad cried when he first saw him in a Chelsea shirt.

Puff

Guest Chubby Jason

Sidwell was brought in for cover for the 6 weeks of the season when the African players were away. He must have known that.

As long as he doesn't affect Taylor's game in any way. Was hard enough for Taylor doing the job of two when he partnered Bramble & Boumsong, let alone Terry.

Oh we can't afford to wet-nurse Terry. If he's not up to scratch straight away, I'd ship the cockney twat out sharpish.

Guest teepee

the only realistic players are sidwell and ben haim imo - and i'd probably take sidwell at a decent price. especially if we continue with a hard working three man midfield.