Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think he's on about Owen.

I think you might be right on that one. Interesting that he'll be going into contract negotiations (when he's not too busy doing PR interviews) with a player his manager desperately wants to keep, but who he thinks we shouldn't have signed in the first place. Of course if Owen doesn't stay it'll be because he's a mercenary.

Duff and Kluivert.

Maybe Nicky Butt since Shepherd wouldn't let Robson sign Carrick and insisted on him signing Butt instead.

I'm surprised you were specifically pleased by those signings. What statement did they make to you?

If it's those three, then they cost a total of £7m altogether. Hardly bank breaking stuff.

I think he's on about Owen.

I think you might be right on that one. Interesting that he'll be going into contract negotiations (when he's not too busy doing PR interviews) with a player his manager desperately wants to keep, but who he thinks we shouldn't have signed in the first place. Of course if Owen doesn't stay it'll be because he's a mercenary.

Duff and Kluivert.

Maybe Nicky Butt since Shepherd wouldn't let Robson sign Carrick and insisted on him signing Butt instead.

I'm surprised you were pleased by those signings. What statement did they make to you?

If it's those three, then they cost a total of £7m altogether. Hardly bank breaking stuff.

To me they were signed as a "Look who we've signed" because they were big name players rather than being better than we've already got, most were happy with the signing of Duff at the time but that soon changed when it turned out we had wasted a large portion of that Summer's transfer money on him while not filling other areas.

I didn't mention money when talking about these and neither did Mort so I'm not sure what point you're making by saying how much they cost.

To me there is a difference between signing a quality player like Owen or Shearer compared to signing a big name who doesn't have the quality anymore.

Btw it seems like you're setting up so if Owen doesn't sign a new contract it'll be all Mort's fault. O0

Mort made a mistake with his statement TBH. What he should have said was "I'm not going to make one off signings to appease the morans".

I'm a newcastle fan and what would "appease" me is if we went out and sign 4 quality players. I'don't give a fuck whether they are a "big name" or a "Statement signing" because neither of those specifics will get you into the top 4, which should be our aim.

For me Keegan is the "big name" and the real "statement" of our intentions.

Mort made a mistake with his statement TBH. What he should have said was "I'm not going to make one off signings to appease the morans".

I'm a newcastle fan and what would "appease" me is if we went out and sign 4 quality players. I'don't give a fuck whether they are a "big name" or a "Statement signing" because neither of those specifics will get you into the top 4, which should be our aim.

where a lot of you are getting a little bit confused here, in your usual haste to misrepresent the old board, is that the 2 things tend to come hand in hand.

Although I would strongly disagree that a Chelsea fringe player is a "big name" , none of the top 4 teams would have considered him to be a "big name" especially the one that sold him.

Buying a top quality player is certainly a "statement", Keegan himself said it many times during his first spell as manager.

Likewise, buying free transfers and low key buys that are "good business" is also a certain type of "statement" too

Guest Stephen927

Did we really have to bid £16m to get Owen?

It was more a case of make an offer that Liverpool couldn't or didn't want to match IMO.

where a lot of you are getting a little bit confused here, in your usual haste to misrepresent the old board, is that the 2 things tend to come hand in hand.

Although I would strongly disagree that a Chelsea fringe player is a "big name" , none of the top 4 teams would have considered him to be a "big name" especially the one that sold him.

Buying a top quality player is certainly a "statement", Keegan himself said it many times during his first spell as manager.

Likewise, buying free transfers and low key buys that are "good business" is also a certain type of "statement" too

Don't get me wrong Ne5, i agree that they come hand in hand but the quality comes before the statement, if that makes sense. We are not going out to make a statement, we are going out to sign good players, making that statment in the process.

There's some good players out there that can be bought for reasonable money, who perhaps aren't big names that we can improve our squad with.

For me all Mort is saying is that we won't be JUST signing players such as Owen etc. We need to go out an be sensible too.

A good example of what i'm talking about are players like Vidic and Evra. Personally i'd never heard of them and the money wasn't massive, so there was no statement but they are just as important to Man Utds title challenge as your Rooneys and Ronaldos.

A little from column A and a little from column B please.

Day after we beat the Mackems and people are arguing about this shite.

maybe its because we have bigger ambitions than simply beating the mackems

:lol: One way of looking at it I suppose.

Less words, more action (come the summer) is what we all want to be honest. I'm not particularly bothered about what he said but it's just cheap point scoring against the previous regime and I'm not particularly impressed with that. No real need to say anything at all. An enigmatic 'wait and see what happens during the transfer window' is all he probably should have said.

Less words, more action (come the summer) is what we all want to be honest. I'm not particularly bothered about what he said but it's just cheap point scoring against the previous regime and I'm not particularly impressed with that. No real need to say anything at all. An enigmatic 'wait and see what happens during the transfer window' is all he probably should have said.

Can't argue with that mate but we don't know how the question was asked.

I don't know about you but i'm more than confident that KK will be backed the relevant funds to turn us into a top 6 side.

Don't get me wrong Ne5, i agree that they come hand in hand but the quality comes before the statement, if that makes sense. We are not going out to make a statement, we are going out to sign good players, making that statment in the process.

There's some good players out there that can be bought for reasonable money, who perhaps aren't big names that we can improve our squad with.

For me all Mort is saying is that we won't be JUST signing players such as Owen etc. We need to go out an be sensible too.

A good example of what i'm talking about are players like Vidic and Evra. Personally i'd never heard of them and the money wasn't massive, so their was no statement but they are just as important to Man Utds title challenge as your Rooneys and Ronaldos.

I fail to see where you can say that the club hasn't always tried to do just that.

Because, whether you like it or not, it {b] has [/b] been attempting to do that, just not so successfully as manu and 3 other clubs in particular, but better than pretty much all of the rest.

I would rather Mort got on with showing he can do better than in the past, rather than belittling the good club that he has been left to run.

What are you going to say when Keegan steps up the pressure and demands the club show its teeth and ambition, like he did the last time ? Because if they don't, its a nailed on certainty that he will do precisely that.

You must agree thats highly ironic to bleat on about "appeasing" fans then buying fans drinks in town ?

I'm sorry, and no pun intended, but I just can't buy into that.

Are you telling me that Wengers success in the transfer market is down to Bruce Rioch, his predecessor? ;D ;D ;D

They have competed against Man Utd far better than we have over the last 5 years and have done bloody well this year when you think of the investment Man Utd made last summer in comparison.

BTW, on the big hitter thing. The ground move has ensured that they can compete better than they've ever been able to before, due to greater turnover etc. Now they are a big hitter imo, before they were punching above their weight and that was mainly thanks to Wenger and his ability to spot a player, bed him into the first team and flog on for a profit. I dare say, they wouldn't have to sell now - before they probably did.

I did comment about setting the club up for sustainable success though.

Oh my you cant even spot a tongue in cheek remark.

It is not Man Utd fault if the Arsenal board dont trust Wegner to splash out big on a player or Wegner has doubts about signing big after the limted success of big buys like Jeffers, Reyes & Wiltord.

Arsene Wegner has not made Arsenal a big club or made them punch above there weight as they have always been a big club, there history tells you this.

As Man Utd/Sir Alex are the most successful club in the Premier League history I guess what they do is the best way towards sustainable success.

indeed. Their current attacking strength has cost them around 80m quid ie Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha not to mention Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson to back them up. Must be over 100m and just to show even the best managers drop a huge clanger, Veron.

Still, I'm sure that Chris Mort has a better way.

Also add the best team we have seen at Newcastle in living memory, which almost won the title, and almost the entire team was bought some of them big buys, the biggest of the time. And topped off with the worlds most expensive player, which nobody turned their nose up at and would undoubtedly gone on to do the trick had it not been for the manager leaving the club.

You can't get much more proof than this, its just amazing the people in this thread who have defended the prudent method.

Lets put it this way, it ONLY works if you have a one off able to make it work like Wenger.

Lets wait & see in the summer.

Hopefully you are right, but isn't that what has been happening ?

People are pleased that there seems to be a common sense approach to running the club now (you can take that how you like by the way).  Lets wait and see what happens in the summer, instead of writing them off as not knowing what they are doing before they've had the chance to prove you wrong.

This is a massive summer for us (again) & I reckon they'll get it right.

common sense ?

I know what you are driving at, but I call it unambitious.

If we do well in the transfer market, it will be down to Keegan, just like the last time he was manager.

so if keegan spends £100million it will be down t him but when robson spent on bellamy and robert etc it was down to our board ?

oh and where does ambition end and recklessness start ?

with good judgement by the manager, which to an extent the board can't control, they just have to back him as their appointment or sack him. You think you've seen mediocrity in recent years ? Well, you haven't. What you've seen is a club aiming for the top places and not succeeding. Real mediocrity is a club happy to drift along in no mans land. Especially when its a club like us who should be punching with the other big boys all the time.

Ruling out the buying of immediate first team players when you are struggling, and operating a  sell to buy " policy, is the policy of the 2nd rate clubs.

when was this done ?can't have been last summer as we did buy players and couldn't have been january as we agreed a fee for woodgate and the manager said he couldn't get anyone better than who we already had (unless keegan is lying)

What color is the sky in your world?

I've been around a long time before sky mate

If you don't understand, its your problem I'm afraid

I'm just curious, because even as you paint others as going out of their way to malign the old board, you make incomprehensibly bad leaps of logic when "reading between the lines" of what Mort says in order to disparage him.  Leaps that no sane person can make so the only conclusion I can come to is you're doing it on purpose.

A good example of what i'm talking about are players like Vidic and Evra. Personally i'd never heard of them and the money wasn't massive, so their was no statement but they are just as important to Man Utds title challenge as your Rooneys and Ronaldos.

I fail to see where you can say that the club hasn't always tried to do just that.

Because, whether you like it or not, it {b] has [/b] been attempting to do that, just not so successfully as manu and 3 other clubs in particular, but better than pretty much all of the rest.

I would rather Mort got on with showing he can do better than in the past, rather than belittling the good club that he has been left to run.

What are you going to say when Keegan steps up the pressure and demands the club show its teeth and ambition, like he did the last time ? Because if they don't, its a nailed on certainty that he will do precisely that.

You must agree thats highly ironic to bleat on about "appeasing" fans then buying fans drinks in town ?

I'm sorry, and no pun intended, but I just can't buy into that.

Ah you see, i have never once implied the club hasn't tried to do that. That's what they have done but in the past, managers (and allegedly the chairman) have made huge mistakes in the players we sign.

As for Mort and probably more specifically Ashley, i believe the club will give Keegan the cash. Keegan, as you say, will squeeze those above but that's to be expected. You obviously have major doubts on whether the will give him the money and you are quite entitled to your opinion.

IMO, the trio will have sat down when KK was appointed and talked about the backing. If KK wasn't happy with it, then i don't think he would have come back. Maybe he will get stabbed in the back but i believe they will come good.

I'm just curious, because even as you paint others as going out of their way to malign the old board, you make incomprehensibly bad leaps of logic when "reading between the lines" of what Mort says in order to disparage him.

I've tried to explain how I see Morts remarks mate. I don't want to harp on about the old board any more than anybody else, but the fact is that they showed their ambition many times over, so it doesn't need to be questioned.

When or if the new one show the same, then I'll believe them if they say money isn't available right now, or whatever. But from what I've seen so far, I'm just not impressed at all and am far from convinced in fact the alarm bells are flashing

You just won't succeed and break into the top clubs if you operate a "sell to buy" policy, and this happened last summer and again  in November when he said that we wouldn't be buying anybody in January unless they were young potential players. Thats incredibly short sighted however you look at it.

mackems.gif x 1000