Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Same with Smith then, yeah?

Only the manager can be blamed for the Boumsong signing I'm afraid.

Some did call the Smith signing correctly, I was in two minds, I thought that the Smith who signed for Man U would have been a good signing but the one who left them wouldn't have been.  For your benefit, I know it's the same Smith.

I've got no problem blaming the manager for Boumsong, in his defence he didn't arrange the fee.

Guest Knightrider

For me Keegan is the "big name" and the real "statement" of our intentions.

Bingo. KK will get as much as he requires which will come in the shape of significant funds.

As for Mort, he's the typical cautious chairman, but it's Ashley who has final say and I guarantee he will back his man with cash and lots of it.

Be happy people, we're ganning places.

Bingo. KK will get as much as he requires which will come in the shape of significant funds.

As for Mort, he's the typical cautious chairman, but it's Ashley who has final say and I guarantee he will back his man with cash and lots of it.

i really, really, really hope you're right

Guest Knightrider

When Ashley approached KK to take over he asked him what kind of figures it would take to get Newcastle back to being the club it was When KK was first here, and KK told him in excess of £200m to which Ashley said leave that to us, the money is there, you build the team we'll pay for it. Ashley telling KK he can have £250m to spend after beating the mackems was an in house joke rerring to their initial talks about How much it would take to get us back to where we were. Now KK won't get that in the summer alone but that kind of money will be spent during KK's 3 and a half years I am absolutely certain of that, KK wouldn't be here if he wasn't going to get serious money. Wise & co. are here so when KK has left and success gained (that's the aim anyway) the club can sustain success without having to spend mega money every single year by developing our own talent, both local and international.

P.S I personaly believe we'll spend £50-60m net.

When Ashley approached KK to take over he asked him what kind of figures it would take to get Newcastle back to being the club it was When KK was first here, and KK told him in excess of £200m to which Ashley said leave that to us, the money is there, you build the team we'll pay for it. Ashley telling KK he can have £250m to spend after beating the mackems was in House joke rerring to their initial talks. Now KK won't get that in the summer but that kind of money will be spent during KK's 3 and a half years I am absolutely certain of that, KK wouldn't be here if he wasn't going to get serious money. Wise & co. are here so when KK has left and success gained (that's the aim anyway) the club can sustain success without having to spend mega money every single year by developing our own talent, both local and international.

Has that been quoted anywhere? Or is that your reading of the situation?

3 pages later & still no answer :lol:

I'll ask again, NE5, how much do you think we'll spend this summer?

Answer in £'s please

oh dear. 400m. I don;t know I'm not Chris Mort or Mike Ashley !!!

What a question  :coolsmiley: howay mate, keep it sensible  ;D

It must be a good question because you refuse to answer it :)

Guest sicko2ndbest

When Ashley approached KK to take over he asked him what kind of figures it would take to get Newcastle back to being the club it was When KK was first here, and KK told him in excess of £200m to which Ashley said leave that to us, the money is there, you build the team we'll pay for it. Ashley telling KK he can have £250m to spend after beating the mackems was in House joke rerring to their initial talks. Now KK won't get that in the summer but that kind of money will be spent during KK's 3 and a half years I am absolutely certain of that, KK wouldn't be here if he wasn't going to get serious money. Wise & co. are here so when KK has left and success gained (that's the aim anyway) the club can sustain success without having to spend mega money every single year by developing our own talent, both local and international.

Has that been quoted anywhere? Or is that your reading of the situation?

I remember KK saying he only took the job on the Promise that Ashley wanted big things for us

It did strike me as ironic if not downright hypocritical to accuse the old board of doing things to appease the fans after pulling the biggest crowd pleasing stunt since we signed Shearer. To the outside world the appointment looked exactly like the managerial equivalent of signing a past-it big name player out for one last payday (they're wrong like).

It did strike me as ironic if not downright hypocritical to accuse the old board of doing things to appease the fans after pulling the biggest crowd pleasing stunt since we signed Shearer. To the outside world the appointment looked exactly like the managerial equivalent of signing a past-it big name player out for one last payday (they're wrong like).

Good point, to be honest it struck me as a crowd pleaser as well, more in the sense that Keegan, Shearer or an absolute owrld class appointment would be the only appointment which would appease the fans.

Answer in £'s please

what don't you understand about "how am I supposed to know"

Answer in £'s please

You dont know how to give a good estimate of the clubs ambition?

Answer in £'s please

You dont know how to give a good estimate of the clubs ambition?

yes I do, but I haven't seen the right awareness from the chairman yet, quite the opposite in fact

Answer in £'s please

I'm not asking you to let me know how much we will spend, just how much you think we might spend.

Still carry on trying to be smart, I can tell everyone's impressed O0

I can't see any hypocrisy at all when you compare like for like.

I would have thought Beardsley or Nobby coming back or Keegan himself the first time he managed the club, none of those were criticised by our fans, or at least very few, if any.

Answer in £'s please

I'm not asking you to let me know how much we will spend, just how much you think we might spend.

I'm not trying to be anything. How much do YOU think they might spend, to me the amount isn't important, its how they target it and how they behave is what is important

I would have thought Beardsley or Nobby coming back or Keegan himself the first time he managed the club, none of those were criticised by our fans, or at least very few, if any.

whats wrong with "appeasing the crowd " anyway, would you prefer a half empty stadium like we got for years or the 50,000 crowds of the last decade

Its a measure of how well the club are doing and how attractive a proposition it is, wouldn't you agree ?

Answer in £'s please

I'm not trying to be anything. How much do YOU think they might spend, to me the amount isn't important, its how they target it and how they behave is what is important

I think perhaps £25-30m.  I'm not asking how important you think the amount is, I'm asking how much you think they will spend O0

Answer in £'s please

I reckon £35 million and Keegan will spend it on 3 quality players and 2 that are potential players to bring through gradually.

What do you think?

whats wrong with "appeasing the crowd " anyway, would you prefer a half empty stadium like we got for years or the 50,000 crowds of the last decade

Its a measure of how well the club are doing and how attractive a proposition it is, wouldn't you agree ?

I don't have a problem if appeasing the fans is a by-product of a signing rather than the desired outcome, if we buy a player because he's going to improve the team then appease away.

Erm, aren't those players the very definition of what the people defending Mort are saying he means as the type of player we wont be signing in the future, ie players at the end of their career, on the way down?

Erm, aren't those players the very definition of what the people defending Mort are saying he means as the type of player we wont be signing in the future, ie players at the end of their career, on the way down?

I thought people said players on the way down that would cost big money like Henry?

It seems you're trying to twist things.