Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

We should have kept Bellamy really :D

Wonder if it's entered Keegan's head to try and bring Bellamy back and play him instead of Martins in this 433? Not saying it's neccessarily a good idea, given his current fitness and general mentalness, but I bet he'd walk back here from West Ham and might well thrive under Keegan. It would put Shearer's nose right of joint though!

I was joking but I think he would come back. I wouldn't pay what West Ham payed like.

I knew you were joking, but it just got me thinking about him. I probably wouldn't pay that either, and don't necessarily think we should sign him at all, but hypothetically speaking, putting a fit and firing Bellamy in place of Martins in the current team would improve us dramatically imo. 

oh noes, you just pushed this thread into ten pages of martins arguing

Sorry, I didn't mean to!

haha, its ok, fwiw i'm not a big fan of either, i'd rather hold on to oba given the choice

It's awfully frustrating at times when Martins has the ball and insists of slowly jogging with it. If KK can instill some ruthlessness and force him to take on more defenders, I think we'd have a cracking player on our hands. He already works hard and has an eye for goal. Just needs to be quicker in possession (whether laying off or dribbling) and we'll have an even finer player.

It's awfully frustrating at times when Martins has the ball and insists of slowly jogging with it. If KK can instill some ruthlessness and force him to take on more defenders, I think we'd have a cracking player on our hands. He already works hard and has an eye for goal. Just needs to be quicker in possession (whether laying off or dribbling) and we'll have an even finer player.

i'm not being funny but i genuinely think thats his brain ticking over when he jogs slowly. when forced to do things quickly he looks a classier player on the most part, i.e. little bits of skill in midfield to evade players and the perfect example is his goal against spurs, i'm just not sure you can coach a brain into someone, see titsup bungle for evidence of that

To be honest I'm not sure Keegan would rate Bellamy high enough to bring him back. I would think any striker we bring in  would have to be top, top class, and Bellamy is a rung below that.

I agree he's a rung below top, top class, but I also think he's one of the best players I've seen playing for us in recent years. That season where he got those daft highlights in his hair (2004/2005 I think, Souness's first season) he was arguably one of the best strikers in the league (hope my memory isn't failing me - 2004 - 2007 is a bit of a blurr for me). He'd also be ideally suited to Martin's role in the current team.

Again I'm not saying we should sign him, mostly because of fitness worries and attitude questions, but purely based on what he can do when he's on his game, I think he'd be an asset to the squad.

I think Martins does it better tbh. He scores more goals, and he's less injury prone. If we replace Martins I can't see it being Bellamy.

Guest float one in

To be honest I'm not sure Keegan would rate Bellamy high enough to bring him back. I would think any striker we bring in  would have to be top, top class, and Bellamy is a rung below that.

I agree he's a rung below top, top class, but I also think he's one of the best players I've seen playing for us in recent years. That season where he got those daft highlights in his hair (2004/2005 I think, Souness's first season) he was arguably one of the best strikers in the league (hope my memory isn't failing me - 2004 - 2007 is a bit of a blurr for me). He'd also be ideally suited to Martin's role in the current team.

Again I'm not saying we should sign him, mostly because of fitness worries and attitude questions, but purely based on what he can do when he's on his game, I think he'd be an asset to the squad.

I think Martins does it better tbh. He scores more goals, and he's less injury prone. If we replace Martins I can't see it being Bellamy.

Fair enough mate. I actually think the version of Bellamy we had in from about 2002-3 till he left was a better striker than Martins will ever be, but we can agree to disagree on that one.

I agree about the injuries though - that is one of the reasons I said I wouldn't necessarily want to bring him back now.

If you think there was a chance we might have been relegated without him this season (most will assign the turnaround in our fortunes to his redeployment), then he has saved us over 16m.

It was his second half goal at Birmingham that turned our situation round. Priceless imo.

There was a chance we could have got relegated without him in his first season here imo.

I think those 2 posts prove quite conclusively that he has paid his fee back in spades, despite being injured a lot. Makes you wonder what we could have had for our money otherwise. No doubt people will still say we shouldn't have bought him and slate the club for the "debt" .........

Wonder what their reaction would have been if we'd missed the boat and lost a damn sight more in revenue through being relegated ?

Staggering.

If you think there was a chance we might have been relegated without him this season (most will assign the turnaround in our fortunes to his redeployment), then he has saved us over 16m.

It was his second half goal at Birmingham that turned our situation round. Priceless imo.

How much money have we lost because he's not been on the pitch though? How much more revenue could we have accumulated over the past 3 years if we instead spent £5m less on someone like Anelka?

I'm looking at the facts, not the counter-factual ;)

I think his injuries are irrelevant in analysing the decision-making too.

Alright then. Fact - Owen has played in 40 out of a possible 106 (35+38+34 so far) league games that he could have played for us. That's 38%.

Why does it take so many people to explain this to you?

Are you simply making the fact that we'd have been better off if Owen had played more games? No shit, sherlock. Because of the nature of his injuries, there WAS NO GUARANTEE that any other player we'd have bought at the time would have played more.

its just hindsight Gol, shame nobody else can foresee the future

There was a chance we could have got relegated without him in his first season here imo.

I think those 2 posts prove quite conclusively that he has paid his fee back in spades, despite being injured a lot. Makes you wonder what we could have had for our money otherwise. No doubt people will still say we shouldn't have bought him and slate the club for the "debt" .........

Wonder what their reaction would have been if we'd missed the boat and lost a damn sight more in revenue through being relegated ?

Staggering.

Totally hyopthetical, had we not signed Owen we would no doubt have signed someone else.

Staggering.

Totally hyopthetical, had we not signed Owen we would no doubt have signed someone else.

indeed, some sort of player who wouldn't have appeased the fans no doubt, a nobody player with the 2m left in the transfer budget maybe, if it was Chris Mort having his way.

Remind me again how much of the transfer window was left ?

Staggering.

indeed, some sort of player who wouldn't have appeased the fans no doubt, a nobody player with the 2m left in the transfer budget maybe, if it was Chris Mort having his way.

Bad planning then by someone.  Who would you blame?  Souness?  Shepherd?  The Halls?

Are you suggesting he was signed out of desperation?

I thought the size of the transfer budget wasn't important anyway?

Staggering.

Bad planning then by someone.  Who would you blame?  Souness?  Shepherd?  The Halls?

Souness.

As said elsewhere in the thread ....... made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out, the alternative was a certain relegation fight.

I remember a certain Mr Mort intimating back in november that we wouldn't be bailing ourselves out of a similar predicament, just as well Keegan found a way to keep Owen fit [the very player he's having a go at which you and others are agreeing should not have been signed] and play those 3 strikers or else the difference would have been strikingly more obvious to you than it turned out.

Souness.

As said elsewhere in the thread ....... made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out, the alternative was a certain relegation fight.

I remember a certain Mr Mort intimating back in november that we wouldn't be bailing ourselves out of a similar predicament, just as well Keegan found a way to keep Owen fit [the very player he's having a go at which you and others are agreeing should not have been signed] and play those 3 strikers or else the difference would have been strikingly more obvious to you than it turned out.

How could Souness make an arse of the transfer dealings when he came up with a list of players?  I'm just wondering where he went wrong in this respect.

Where has Mort had a go at Owen?

Souness.

How could Souness make an arse of the transfer dealings when he came up with a list of players?  I'm just wondering where he went wrong in this respect.

Where has Mort had a go at Owen?

if you want to get heavily involved in threads, you should read them properly

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=52065.msg1293638#msg1293638

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=52065.msg1293638#msg1293638

You're basing your argument that Souness "made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out" on the opinion of another poster.   bluelaugh.gif

What about Mort having a go at Owen, I can't wait to see the link because I haven't seen it.

You're basing your argument that Souness "made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out" on the opinion of another poster.   bluelaugh.gif

What about Mort having a go at Owen, I can't wait to see the link because I haven't seen it.

please tell us what is incorrect about the make up of the playing staff when we signed owen.

Please tell us who exactly Mort is talking about, which you agree with, and what you disagree or otherwise with the comments that I've linked which not only myself has agreed with ?

I feel more sorry for you than ever.

please tell us what is incorrect about the make up of the playing staff when we signed owen.

Please tell us who exactly Mort is talking about, which you agree with ?

You're claiming Souness made an arse of his transfer dealings based on the opinion of somebody else.  I'm sure Souness did give a list of players to Shepherd, I have no idea if Owen was on that list or not and where he was on the list, if he was on it.  Souness said all along that he'd passed the list of players over and nobody within the club denied that this was the case.  How did Souness make an arse of his transfer dealings if he did what he was supposed to have done?

I'll repeat, where has Mort had a go at Owen?  I really haven't seen this but would like to see it so that I can comment on it.

Please tell us who exactly Mort is talking about, which you agree with ?

You're claiming Souness made an arse of his transfer dealings based on the opinion of somebody else.  I'm sure Souness did give a list of players to Shepherd, I have no idea if Owen was on that list or not and where he was on the list, if he was on it.  Souness said all along that he'd passed the list of players over and nobody within the club denied that this was the case.  How did Souness make an arse of his transfer dealings if he did what he was supposed to have done?

I'll repeat, where has Mort had a go at Owen?  I really haven't seen this but would like to see it so that I can comment on it.

oh dear.

Read the thread.

Good night

oh dear.

Read the thread.

Good night

As I thought, nowt to back it up.

2nd request , as per the subject of the thread :

Please tell us who exactly Mort is talking about, which you agree with, and what you disagree or otherwise with the comments that I've linked which not only myself has agreed with ?

2nd request , as per the subject of the thread :

bluelaugh.gif

If you answer the questions which I asked which you responded to with questions instead of answers, I might consider answering what you've asked since.