Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

2nd request , as per the subject of the thread :

please tell us what is incorrect about the make up of the playing staff when we signed owen.

Please tell us who exactly Mort is talking about, which you agree with, and what you disagree or otherwise with the comments that I've linked which not only myself has agreed with ?

I feel more sorry for you than ever.

bluelaugh.gif

If you answer the questions which I asked which you responded to with questions instead of answers, I might consider answering what you've asked since. 

other people have made these comments, why do you ignore them ?

Thats a very childish reply, BTW

Don't you think it's a bit childish going onto other forums and slagging people off btw, NE5?

not slagging Dave. But to reply, no I don't. I think what I posted has its merits, and I'm genuinely curious.

Do you think it would be very childish to get into a "tit for tat" situation and do you think it would be very childish to also name other people who do similar things ie rake up old posts of other people all the time ?

So I won't bother, or else I expect I would rather childishly be warned about being banned just for disagreeing with people, or should I say, putting up facts to prove a point of view correct ?

Don't you think it's a bit childish going onto other forums and slagging people off btw, NE5?

not slagging Dave. But to reply, no I don't.

Do you think it would be very childish to get into a "tit for tat" situation and do you think it would be very childish to also name other people who do similar things ie rake up old posts of other people all the time ?

So I won't bother, or else I expect I would rather childishly be warned about being banned just for disagreeing with people.

:lol:

not slagging Dave. But to reply, no I don't.

So I won't bother, or else I expect I would rather childishly be warned about being banned just for disagreeing with people.

:lol:

tut tut Dave. How childish, just when I thought you wanted to cut such stuff out too.

Some of us have had a good discussion in this thread and kept it civil by the way, until the usual people came along and took it downwards.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17752&view=findpost&p=458898

bump........

even  Gol is finding him hard work just now ........

Really is possibly the thickest cunt I've came across on these message boards

thickmick is an apt description

Fairly pathetic iyam. Oh well, guess it's just me.

Well Dave, I'd say it on here, but you ban people for that don't you ?

But as I said, the first post was a genuine question, that was all.

You were asked "Bad planning then by someone.  Who would you blame?  Souness?  Shepherd?  The Halls?"

You replied,

"Souness.

As said elsewhere in the thread ....... made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out, the alternative was a certain relegation fight."

That was your answer to a specific question to you, not anybody else.  I haven't seen anybody say what you've suggested that they have said earlier.

In the same reply you said Owen was the same player that Mort was having a go at, I haven't seen anybody else say Mort had a go at Owen, maybe I've missed something.

90k for Oba is just ridiculous.

What the hell is this thread actually about?

Well decky, its about Mort saying that the club won't sign players to appease the fans. Some of us are wondering just who he is talking about and discussing the merits of who we think he is referring to.

Some people are just being daft and obstructive though, then they will accuse others of dragging it all down.

Some people actually think that these signings to "appease the fans" are actually the whole idea of making good signings  ;D

Shame its all gone a bit off track like, but I for one was quite intrigued by this one for a while.

You were asked "Bad planning then by someone.  Who would you blame?  Souness?  Shepherd?  The Halls?"

You replied,

"Souness.

As said elsewhere in the thread ....... made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out, the alternative was a certain relegation fight."

That was your answer to a specific question to you, not anybody else.   I haven't seen anybody say what you've suggested that they have said earlier.

In the same reply you said Owen was the same player that Mort was having a go at, I haven't seen anybody else say Mort had a go at Owen, maybe I've missed something.

As I've just said to decky, here it comes.

dearie dearie me.

You're pointless , utterly pointless.

bluelaugh.gif

How old are you again?  

That sort of stuff went on in the infants school, most people had grown out of it by the time the short trousers were consigned to the bin.  :lol:

bluelaugh.gif

How old are you again?  

That sort of stuff went on in the infants school, most people had grown out of it by the time the short trousers were consigned to the bin.   :lol:

I hardly think so.

As you don't want to answer me, why not reply to the other blokes who have asked you the same thing

I'll call it a day with you now, as I've been asked to and to be honest, it seems like the best policy, hopefully somebody will put this thread back on track as it was few pages ago where people were discussing Morts remarks.

Well decky, its about Mort saying that the club won't sign players to appease the fans. Some of us are wondering just who he is talking about and discussing the merits of who we think he is referring to.

Some people are just being daft and obstructive though, then they will accuse others of dragging it all down.

Some people actually think that these signings to "appease the fans" are actually the whole idea of making good signings  ;D

Shame its all gone a bit off track like, but I for one was quite intrigued by this one for a while.

i read it that he is talking about the situation we were in in jnauary when some were clamouring for players...any players regardless of wether they were better than those we already had or not.

I hardly think so.

As you don't want to answer me, why not reply to the other blokes who have asked you the same thing

I'll call it a day with you now.

Other people see what the club do well, they have a balanced view, I can't remember you having anything good to say about anything which has happened over the last 11 months.  Everything that happens is crap, and you do nothing but snipe at those running the club.  You are so biased against Mort and Ashley that it's beyond what would normally be classed as being rational.

I wonder why?

i read it that he is talking about the situation we were in in jnauary when some were clamouring for players...any players regardless of wether they were better than those we already had or not.

well what do you know, an intelligent response, its been a while.

We were in a bad position, at the time, and needed players, and if not for Keegan finding a way to play the front 3 that he did and keeping Owen fit, his lack of "appeasing the fans" may have spectacularly backfired.

Thats the point under discussion. He obviously means that he thinks the club have brought these players before, shame they just happen to be players that got the club into the Champions League ?

That did appease you I take it ?

If you think he wasn't in fact talking about any current player(s) on the books, then I take it you mean the club bought good players with a genuine intention of building a good football club prior to Mort ? The clubs record buy, that many people have slated, has came along, produced the goods, and scored some vital goals, arguably saving the club and him from a barrage of criticism. To put it in simple terms, he was talking absolute bollocks.

So which is it ?

We were in a bad position, at the time, and needed players, and if not for Keegan finding a way to play the front 3 that he did and keeping Owen fit, his lack of "appeasing the fans" may have spectacularly backfired.

Thats the point under discussion. He obviously means that he thinks the club have brought these players before, shame they just happen to be players that got the club into the Champions League ?

If you think he wasn't in fact talking about any current player(s) on the books, then I take it you mean the club bought good players with a genuine intention of building a good football club prior to Mort ? The clubs record buy, that many people have slated, has came along, produced the goods, and scored some vital goals, arguably saving the club and him from a barrage of criticism.

So which is it ?

we did need players...but not ANY players. many would have been happy in january for some they'd never heard of to come in.it may have backfired if we'd brought in players who didn't improve the situation.

i  think he means we won't buy for the sake of buying....january was a good example, couldn't get who we thought would improve things so don't buy anyone. i think fat fred would have bought and that would have been seen as saving us whereas many of us had more than a hunch than our squad was good enough already.

If you think he wasn't in fact talking about any current player(s) on the books, then I take it you mean the club bought good players with a genuine intention of building a good football club prior to Mort ? The clubs record buy, that many people have slated, has came along, produced the goods, and scored some vital goals, arguably saving the club and him from a barrage of criticism.

So which is it ?

I think Mort is probably saying that it's pointless making panic buys in a hurry or you end up with Luque or Boumsong (or Benjani if he'd gone with your instinct at the time). In the event, Mort and Ashley made the correct appointment in Keegan and have rightly kept their powder dry to get the players they really want in the summer. What is wrong with that?

You said Benjani or bust, they said no thanks we don't need players who aren't better than what we have got. I think they got it right to be fair.

So which is it ?

we did need players...but not ANY players. many would have been happy in january for some they'd never heard of to come in.it may have backfired if we'd brought in players who didn't improve the situation.

i  think he means we won't buy for the sake of buying....january was a good example, couldn't get who we thought would improve things so don't buy anyone. i think fat fred would have bought and that would have been seen as saving us whereas many of us had more than a hunch than our squad was good enough already.

there are plenty of good players out there, especially players to improve a struggling team.

Where do you think he got the phrase from then ? He must have been referring to somebody, who do you think it was ?

I don't think any football club buys for the sake of buying, and never really has, do you, and if so, who ?

We certainly didn't buy Owen for the sake of buying him, the only striker we had worthy of the name was Shearer. So who do you think he is talking about ?

If you think there was a chance we might have been relegated without him this season (most will assign the turnaround in our fortunes to his redeployment), then he has saved us over 16m.

It was his second half goal at Birmingham that turned our situation round. Priceless imo.

There was a chance we could have got relegated without him in his first season here imo.

I think those 2 posts prove quite conclusively that he has paid his fee back in spades, despite being injured a lot. Makes you wonder what we could have had for our money otherwise. No doubt people will still say we shouldn't have bought him and slate the club for the "debt" .........

Wonder what their reaction would have been if we'd missed the boat and lost a damn sight more in revenue through being relegated ?

Staggering.

Totally hyopthetical, had we not signed Owen we would no doubt have signed someone else.

indeed, some sort of player who wouldn't have appeased the fans no doubt, a nobody player with the 2m left in the transfer budget maybe, if it was Chris Mort having his way.

Remind me again how much of the transfer window was left ?

Bad planning then by someone.  Who would you blame?  Souness?  Shepherd?  The Halls?

Souness.

As said elsewhere in the thread ....... made an arse of his transfer dealings so the club had to bail him out, the alternative was a certain relegation fight.

I remember a certain Mr Mort intimating back in november that we wouldn't be bailing ourselves out of a similar predicament, just as well Keegan found a way to keep Owen fit [the very player he's having a go at which you and others are agreeing should not have been signed] and play those 3 strikers or else the difference would have been strikingly more obvious to you than it turned out.

Where have I said we shouldn't have signed Owen?

You should read the thread ;)

Quinn's tone was catching. "Historically, the club has looked to please the fans by making a 'statement signing' every now and again," Mort said. "Looking back, I'm just not sure if that's the way to develop long-term success. I want to bring players who are going to develop the club over three to five years. Kevin's return has clearly lit a spark – the team were looking down in the mouth. A dramatic transition has started and Kevin and I would both like to the raise the game. But we're not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans."

that the quote you mean ?

i guess that means we wouldn't be looking to bring in someone like an owen or martins while so much else needs doing teamwise. something many said at the time and at that time would you rather have had anelka and a defender  with the rest of that money ?

fat freds gone,he done well for us for a while. ashleys first season (for me at least) has only been so bad because of freds managerial apppointments over the last few years,summer will answer a few questiona.......one of us will be eating a large slice of humble pie come august 31st

So which is it ?

I think Mort is probably saying that it's pointless making panic buys in a hurry or you end up with Luque or Boumsong (or Benjani if he'd gone with your instinct at the time). In the event, Mort and Ashley made the correct appointment in Keegan and have rightly kept their powder dry to get the players they really want in the summer. What is wrong with that?

You said Benjani or bust, they said no thanks we don't need players who aren't better than what we have got. I think they got it right to be fair.

considering our best 2 buys last summer were both on deadline day ............

Sibierski wasn't so bad for a "panic buy", and neither was Owen.

Players like Bouimsong were well researched and linked with the club, so was Luque. Last summer, was the same ala Barton, and Viduka.

You're making it up, it doesn't matter when they sign for you. Totally irrelevant.