KK

Guest Knightrider

applications for season tickets will mean more than all that

I'm not sure that season ticket sales will mean more than that, it might have been different if Keegan had of been appointed at a time when tickets were on sale.

just think season ticket applications is a better guide than fans views during a good run

Shoot me down in flames (and I know you will), but isn't it a little bit early for some of the stuff on this thread?

The result at Spurs was excellent, no getting away from that, and results alone don't tell the whole story, but wins at home to Reading, Fulham and Sunderland plus a draw away to Portsmouth don't really say that much, especially not with the awful results that came before them.

As a neutral I like Keegan (and, to be honest, most neutrals do, it's pretty hard not to, he's such a heart-on-sleeve kind of chap), but surely the time to do the "shame on you who doubted him" thing is when you've had a decent spell to judge him on?

Incidentally, before anyone raises it, yes, I know, beating Sunderland at home is something we didnt manage to do.

;)

Shoot me down in flames (and I know you will), but isn't it a little bit early for some of the stuff on this thread?

The result at Spurs was excellent, no getting away from that, and results alone don't tell the whole story, but wins at home to Reading, Fulham and Sunderland plus a draw away to Portsmouth don't really say that much, especially not with the awful results that came before them.

As a neutral I like Keegan (and, to be honest, most neutrals do, it's pretty hard not to, he's such a heart-on-sleeve kind of chap), but surely the time to do the "shame on you who doubted him" thing is when you've had a decent spell to judge him on?

Incidentally, before anyone raises it, yes, I know, beating Sunderland at home is something we didnt manage to do.

;)

it's more to do with the way those reults have been achieved. pass and go...not perfect but a vast improvment and good for football looking to attack in every game home and away. a work inprogress gradually getting better,stronger and more confident

;)

it's more to do with the way those reults have been achieved. pass and go...not perfect but a vast improvment and good for football looking to attack in every game home and away. a work inprogress gradually getting better,stronger and more confident

I definitely understand that bit, as i said, results alone don't tell the whole story.

;)

As far as I'm concerned we would have had the poor Keegan results under Allardyce, I don't feel that confident about the better results under Keegan being repeated under Allardyce.  Yes some of the better results have came against poorer teams but these are the same poorer teams who were getting results against us earlier in the season, we are still the only team to lose to Derby in the league and we've only got 3 league games left for that to change.

Like you say "results alone don't tell the whole story," we played some very difficult games off the belt and Keegan hadn't really a chance to know his players, under the circumstances I think he's done a brilliant job.  We’ve actually started to play football that is worth watching, players who were not performing are starting to look like footballers, mostly Alan Smith isn’t getting a game and that has been a bonus as we now take to the field with 11 players instead of 10 on a good day, not that we had many of those as we had so many under performers.  We can now go to a game knowing that even if we do get beat we’re going to go about it the right way and try to win instead of trying to contain the dregs of the league, which to be fair, we had become one of them.

;)

As far as I'm concerned we would have had the poor Keegan results under Allardyce, I don't feel that confident about the better results under Keegan being repeated under Allardyce.  Yes some of the better results have came against poorer teams but these are the same poorer teams who were getting results against us earlier in the season, we are still the only team to lose to Derby in the league and we've only got 3 league games left for that to change.

Like you say "results alone don't tell the whole story," we played some very difficult games off the belt and Keegan hadn't really a chance to know his players, under the circumstances I think he's done a brilliant job.  We’ve actually started to play football that is worth watching, players who were not performing are starting to look like footballers, mostly Alan Smith isn’t getting a game and that has been a bonus as we now take to the field with 11 players instead of 10 on a good day, not that we had many of those as we had so many under performers.  We can now go to a game knowing that even if we do get beat we’re going to go about it the right way and try to win instead of trying to contain the dregs of the league, which to be fair, we had become one of them.

i'm in agreement with this - we were always losing the games we lost under keegan the only question was how long would the bad run last and could keegan pull us out of it

personally i had my doubts (the villa performance/result was a big influence on that opinion as it happens) and they were based on genuine questions about whether keegan could still perform at the top level and turn us around without money; 3 years out of the game, underwhelming at man city without cash etc...

he's sold me on the fact that he should be the man to lead us into a new period with recent results but brummie makes an excellent point

frankly some of the pro-keegan stuff during his losing run was an embarrassment (as is some of it now), it was like you'd insulted someone's mam for being shit at her job and the only reason the people were defending her was 'cause "she's me mam"

the landscape has changed now somewhat - anyone not behind the guy is clearly an idiot

;)

Like you say "results alone don't tell the whole story," we played some very difficult games off the belt and Keegan hadn't really a chance to know his players, under the circumstances I think he's done a brilliant job.  Weve actually started to play football that is worth watching, players who were not performing are starting to look like footballers, mostly Alan Smith isnt getting a game and that has been a bonus as we now take to the field with 11 players instead of 10 on a good day, not that we had many of those as we had so many under performers.  We can now go to a game knowing that even if we do get beat were going to go about it the right way and try to win instead of trying to contain the dregs of the league, which to be fair, we had become one of them.

i'm in agreement with this - we were always losing the games we lost under keegan the only question was how long would the bad run last and could keegan pull us out of it

personally i had my doubts (the villa performance/result was a big influence on that opinion as it happens) and they were based on genuine questions about whether keegan could still perform at the top level and turn us around without money; 3 years out of the game, underwhelming at man city without cash etc...

he's sold me on the fact that he should be the man to lead us into a new period with recent results but brummie makes an excellent point

frankly some of the pro-keegan stuff during his losing run was an embarrassment (as is some of it now), it was like you'd insulted someone's mam for being s*** at her job and the only reason the people were defending her was 'cause "she's me mam"

the landscape has changed now somewhat - anyone not behind the guy is clearly an idiot

that said, some of the criticism some dickheads on here threw at Keegan was even more of an embarrassment, someone even called him a cunt ffs

that said, some of the criticism some dickheads on here threw at Keegan was even more of an embarrassment, someone even called him a c*** ffs

I can't remember seeing that.   :knuppel2:

Guest Knightrider

;)

Our recent results are far more telling than the points total produced from them and as indicators go, goes someway to explain the high levels of optimism here at Newcastle. Prior to that run we were the worst team in the league alongside Derby in terms of form, conceding goals, performances, scoring goals and our general all-round wretchedness all over the park. People say it was only Reading or Fulham but we were actually playing worse than those sides, yet we blew them away with very comfortable and inspiring performances which as far as I'm concerned prove that this team much to my own surprise, is or was in a false position.

I say surprised because I actually didn't think we were as good as we have been much less capable of it, KK or no KK, I thought we really were that poor. But watching us play like we have, points the other way. We actually do have a good team here, not the best by any means but a team as good as Spurs or Pompey and if certain areas are strengthened and the right kind of balance can be found, we will only get better. What kind of side are we at the moment? We are not a relegation candidate put it that way, more of a UEFA Cup spot candidate based on recent form and the ability we do have in the side. Obviously people will raise an eyebrow or two at that kind of statement, but if this were the start of a new season the way we are playing and the players we have, that's the kind of spots we'd be looking at, instead of the relegation spots or mid-table.

So while it may only be a Fulham, a Reading or a sunderland according to the history books, we did to them what a club like Newcastle, or rather a team like ours should be doing, beating them comfortably.

That's just the football. What else has happened is a complete and utter turnaround in how fans (nay, make that the whole city) now perceive the club to be, from doom and gloom to the future is black and white and that is all down to Kevin Keegan, the man I and others are praising to the high heavens after just a few good results which you, naturally I will add as an outsider, find strange and something I can quite understand. But hey that's Newcastle United, that's us lot as fans, that's what KK inspires in us and the club.

"Yous only beat the likes of Reading"

That's not all which we have beaten, we've taken on and defeated something far bigger and far more menacing - that well known beast that all is lost - and we've spun it completely around in our favour to the point where all can be ours.

That's not me being completely deluded btw or a thinking along the lines of because we've won a few games we are gonna win the league, far from it, I know it will be hard to even get back into the top 6 and there will be many hiccups along the way, more winless runs no doubt, but this time around it will be enveloped by a feeling of belief, pride, faith and positivity from everyone connected with the club on and off the stands and that here is priceless because as history has shown here, unless we are all united, we eventually defeat ourselves more than any other team or thing beating us and that's what's more painful than anything, for me anyway.

It has been a long long time since I last felt like this about my club, a long time. I am positively happy and that's because our manager happens to be a bloke I love, have complete respect for, trust and have full confidence in 100%. It just makes supporting this club so much easier, so much more fun and so much more rewarding, win, lose or draw.

Guest Phil K

I think the Villa fan should look inwards himself, a little.

Newcastle (playing utter crap at the time) led and were the better team against a p*ss-poor looking Villa who then get a few lucky breaks, Newcastle fall apart (as they had been doing every game at that point) and the Villa fans think they're a superteam, forgetting the booing at HT.

Sunderland bt Villa - with some ease - at Villa Park and the Villa fans that I read say they'd be found out.

Villa bt the worst team in premier history 6-0 and they're "world beaters" again.

(Yes, I know Derby - thanks to Allar-fking-dyce - took 4 points off us during the black time)

But are Villa playing blistering stuff, or are they getting the breaks ?

I would put a £10 on Newcastle getting AT LEAST a point at Villa now. And I never bet, and am known as a pessimist on here.

I'd say Newcastle have MASSIVELY under-achieved this season and think Everton, Man City and Villa have been the opposite.

I believe the tables will be turned next year.

Newcastle (playing utter crap at the time) led and were the better team against a p*ss-poor looking Villa who then get a few lucky breaks, Newcastle fall apart (as they had been doing every game at that point) and the Villa fans think they're a superteam, forgetting the booing at HT.

Sunderland bt Villa - with some ease - at Villa Park and the Villa fans that I read say they'd be found out.

Villa bt the worst team in premier history 6-0 and they're "world beaters" again.

(Yes, I know Derby - thanks to Allar-fking-dyce - took 4 points off us during the black time)

I would put a £10 on Newcastle getting AT LEAST a point at Villa now. And I never bet, and am known as a pessimist on here.

I'd say Newcastle have MASSIVELY under-achieved this season and think Everton, Man City and Villa have been the opposite.

He hasn't said anything worse than you were the other week so stop being a tit.

Guest sicko2ndbest

From The TimesApril 26, 2008

Kevin Keegan dares to dream, and Newcastle stirGeorge Caulkin

“I want people to dream about their football club. They should, we should all be dreamers at heart. Some people are the opposite and say 'we can't do that', but when you ask them why, they can't give a reason. Well, I say, 'Why not?'” - Kevin Keegan

Even before he reminded them how to win, Keegan had taught Newcastle United to believe again. It has been another torrid, fraught season at St James’ Park, but as April draws to a close, rancour is absent and grievances forgotten. They may still be fragile, but Geordie dreams are emerging from a bitter hibernation, a rut of mediocrity that stretches back years.

Denied romance, Newcastle fans are denied themselves. With no league championship since 1927, no FA Cup since 1955 and no trophy of any significance since Bob Moncur lifted the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in 1969, the same year a flag was planted on the moon, what defines them is not achievement, but their love, yearning and loyalty.

“Because I’d been out of the game for three years, people said I couldn’t know what I was doing,” Keegan, speaking in his first newspaper interview since returning to Tyneside, said. “But the fans, their passion, dreams and expectations haven’t changed.

Related Links

Keegan restores hope to the Tyne

Keegan happy to dance to Ashley’s tune

“They want to win something, see good football, enjoy their Saturdays. I’ve been here before. I understand. And I’ve got unfinished business.”

He gets it; he always has. Sam Allardyce had the science and the structure, but radiated prickly introspection. Glenn Roeder had history with the club, but lacked clout. Graeme Souness implored supporters to adore 1-0 victories and insisted that Albert Luque would “put his hand into the fire for you.” At boardroom level, there was inconsistency, debt and interference.

Keegan — who had stepped down at Manchester City in 2005 — monitored it all and mourned. “I was up in Scotland with my Soccer Circus, but I’d followed the club,” he said. “I just remember thinking that it has never moved on. It has had little false dawns since I left, but it has never gone on properly. It’s a shame, because I think we started something really good last time.

“It was all set up to move on apace, but it got caught up in the privatisation and stuff like that. When I heard that Sam might leave, my first thought was ‘that’s ridiculous, he’s not been there long enough, he’s not had a chance’, but then it was announced he had gone. And then Harry Redknapp was going to come and you think to yourself ‘good choice’ and then . . .”

And then the phone rang. A friend was on the line, gnawing at his heart, asking if he would meet Chris Mort, the Newcastle chairman. Keegan was 56 (he turned 57 in February), and immersed in his business, not missing football, but here was something special; a chance to go back to the club he left 11 years earlier, the club he saved from extinction, rebuilt and revolutionised. To finish what he started.

“It was the time they were talking to Harry, probably the Thursday or the Friday, and I said ‘yeah, I’ll meet the chairman. But I want to meet the owner [Mike Ashley] as well,’ ” he said. “You’ve got to be honest. You can talk to chairmen like Chris, who’s a great guy, but in football nowadays, it’s all about the owners. You can see that with what’s happening at Liverpool now.

“They’re the ones who put the money in or refuse to. They’re the ones who buy it or sell it, who get partners on board, who dictate where the club’s going to go from a directional point of view. I just wanted to sit with him and talk. But the owner was abroad, so we didn’t meet until the following Wednesday. We fixed it up for London, I drove down and got there at about 11am.

“I sat there with the owner, the chairman and Tony Jimenez [subsequently installed as vice-president]. I just said to them ‘what are your ambitions for Newcastle United Football Club?’ I liked the owner. He just wants to come to a game and enjoy it, as you can see. But he also wants the same thing I want, the same thing everybody connected to Newcastle wants.

“Success. And the tools to bring it are here. We reached an agreement very quickly.”

With the “big four” virtually a closed shop, the parameters for success appear different from 1996, when Keegan’s Newcastle came achingly close to wresting the title from Manchester United, yet the manager makes a faintly startling statement. “The opportunity is better than it was last time and that’s no disrespect to what happened then,” he said.

“That was fantastic, because we took a club that was going nowhere and turned it around. But I think the opportunity now is even greater — if we get it right. Because all the things we didn’t have then, we do now. A big, beautiful stadium, the training ground, the Academy next door. We don’t even have board meetings. It’s a fantastic time for the club, but the first team has to lead it.”

Lift-off dragged its heels. Mort has spoken of the “extraordinary” number of wives who told him their husbands wept when Keegan’s appointment was confirmed, but while fans rejoiced, the team’s suffering continued.

“When he first came here, we were so frustrated with each other that, in training, the tackles were flying in,” Steven Taylor, the defender, said. “He’s brought respect back.”

No signings were made during the transfer window, nine games elapsed without victory and while the appointment of Dennis Wise as executive director (football), Jimenez and Jeff Vetere (technical co-ordinator), merely replaced the agents and advisers who held unofficial positions of prominence under Freddy Shepherd, the timing encouraged awkward headlines.

“It was very tough,” Keegan said, “but it wasn’t totally unexpected. The trouble with fans and the media nowadays is that everything is black and white — I suppose I’m at the right club — but football is grey sometimes. When you come into a club where things haven’t been working, and this isn’t a criticism, you have to change. Why? Because if you don’t, things might stay as they are. That takes time.

“To start with, we felt it was just a case of surviving this season and then rebuilding, but because we’ve gone these six games unbeaten, it’s probably happened a bit quicker than we thought. We’ve survived easier, the football has been a lot better than people thought this bunch of players could produce and I don’t think I need as many new players now as I did on day one.”

The “big relaunch” that Ashley promised Keegan for this summer — detailed on these pages by Terry McDermott two months ago — has now been redrawn. “We’re looking at the club in a different light now than we did even four or five weeks ago,” Keegan said. “We’re looking at it now and saying “realigned” more than “relaunched”.

“And that’s what you hope players are going to do: ‘come on, show us why I shouldn’t go out in the transfer window and replace you, show me what you can do, show me why you should be in our plans next year’. That’s what they’ve done. I’ve told the board I don’t want six or seven signings, I want three or four, but I want top-quality ones.”

The names have already started rolling — Thierry Henry, Deco and others, all reminiscent of those heady days in the mid-1990s when the football dazzled, money talked and fans reported (incorrect) sightings of Roberto Baggio in a Wallsend chip shop.

“That was fantasy, wasn’t it?” Keegan said. “But it can be encouraged. As long as the people in the chip shop don’t mind.

“We won’t be bringing in the top-notchers, I don’t think. Not because we can’t afford it, but because they probably won’t come here. We don’t offer them enough yet, because we can’t offer them European football.”

Nevertheless something lost has been rediscovered. As Mike Bolam of nufc.com put it, “the whole mood of the city has been lifted”. It was visible at a Barclays coaching session for local students at Newcastle’s training ground this week; Keegan answered questions, signed every autograph, encouraged, cajoled. Young eyes burnt fiercely; dreams were being dreamt.

Kevin Keegan and Steven Taylor were appearing at an official coaching and signing session for Barclays, global title sponsor of the Barclays Premier League. The Barclays Premier League is watched in 600 million homes across 203 countries across the world. Barclays has sponsored the league since 2001. barclayspremierleague.com

Keegan on...

Next season

“We could finish fifth, sixth or seventh next season, if we get more things right than wrong. Because Everton have done it. And are they a bigger club than us? No. Can they get more fans in than us? No. Are they more passionate than our fans? No. Have we got players as good as them? I think yes.”

Thierry Henry

“I was asked on the radio if I could sign any player, who would it be and I said Thierry Henry. That should not be confused with me trying to sign Thierry Henry, so don't even go there. Unfortunately, that's fantasy football.”

The Premier League

“I certainly hadn't fallen out of love with the Premier League, but I still say it's all about money. The money is immense and it's there to keep the top four away from the rest of us. But it doesn't mean the game is flawed; it's still about getting players to perform with pride and passion.”

Transfer policy

“Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez are not there to say ‘we've got to sign this player', they're there to say ‘you should go and look at this player'. There will not be one player coming to this club who we don't feel is right for us.”

Relationship with Wise is ‘working well so far'

Kevin Keegan has clarified Newcastle United's transfer policy since the appointment of Dennis Wise as executive director (football), revealing yesterday that he has submitted his list of summer transfer targets to the club - and received one in return.

Wise, Tony Jimenez, the Newcastle vice-president (player recruitment), and Jeff Vetere, the technical co-ordinator, have been scouting in Europe and beyond, as well as establishing a network of contacts that has been absent since the previous regime left St James' Park. Keegan will now watch their recommendations play.

The manager hopes to sign players with Barclays Premier League experience, but knows there is a balance to be struck. “If Dennis says ‘we've seen this guy, he could be the next big one', we'll have a look at him,” he said. Keegan, who confirmed his admiration for Luka Modric, the Croatia international, insisted that the relationship has “worked very well so far. Nothing that Dennis is doing is in anyway detrimental to me doing my job.”

I don't know where you got the impression I said any of the above stuff.

When we were playing badly, I was on here telling all and sundry our players were already mentally "on the beach". I also mentioned our loss to Sunderland in the very post you're replying to.

I've also refrained from suggesting we're worldbeaters to anyone, so I don't know where you go that idea from. In fact, if you look at most of my posts on here on the subject, I'm pointing out that we've got a pathetically small squad and have been lucky to get away with it. Quite the opposite to what you're suggesting.

When we were playing badly, I was on here telling all and sundry our players were already mentally "on the beach". I also mentioned our loss to Sunderland in the very post you're replying to.

I've also refrained from suggesting we're worldbeaters to anyone, so I don't know where you go that idea from. In fact, if you look at most of my posts on here on the subject, I'm pointing out that we've got a pathetically small squad and have been lucky to get away with it. Quite the opposite to what you're suggesting.

Villa,on their day,can beat anybody,it's just on THAT day,their manager allowed them to,along with our pitiful capitulation.But none of it was done with flair or guile,as what KK is doing now,it was done with physicality,which O' Neill has promoted all of his managerial career,be it at Leicester,Celtic or Villa.Not my cup of tea football wise,but great to listen to, Martin, all the same.Shame he didn't allow them to play in their 3rd Round Cup tie with Manchester United(home fixture),instead of playing deliberately,with team selection,negative.

And that you want Milner ;)

To be honest, I think it's just the typical stereotype of all fans to other fans - Geordies are deluded, Mancs are gloryseekers from Londond etc. from all of your posts that I've read you've come across as likable and level headed. I think this is just an example of "typical Villa fans" ;)

For the record, I lived with two Villa fans upto about 2 months ago.. both fit the above description. :p