Titus Bumble Loses Concentration Again (Brian Oliver??)

Teasy

From The Voice newspaper, Tuesday:

Titus Bramble does not even bother to give interviews anymore.

And why should he? For the last six years he has been the recipient of some lacerating media coverage.

His so-called lapses in concentration have been jumped on by a section of the press, who seem only too eager to humiliate the Ipswich-born centre-halve.

In a sport where your every performance is analysed microscopically, criticism is expected. But when it becomes personal, well that’s another issue.

It was Brian Oliver [sports Editor] at the Newcastle Chronicle that started it and it all got rather personal,” Bramble explains to the Voice of Sport about the vitriolic criticism he has received from the mainstream press.

“After he started, people just started jumping on the bandwagon and started saying this and that about me. I used to read the papers and get quite down, but Kieron Dyer told me not to let it bother me.

“To be honest, for awhile I’ve thought that certain journalists have an agenda with me. Of course it hurts, no one likes to read things like that but again that’s just football.

“The criticism hurts my family more than it hurts me – especially my mum. She reads the paper and gets upset but I tell her it’s personal and not to read them.

“For me to be playing as many games as I have done in the Premier League, I must be doing something right. I’ve been playing in the top flight since I was 19 and I’ve worked under some very good managers, so they must see something.”

Signed last summer by the now departed Chris Hutchings, the former England U-21 international made an encouraging start to his career at Wigan.

Playing regularly – something he had not done in his five years at Newcastle – he began to look like the player Bobby Robson had envisaged when he signed him from Ipswich for £5 million in 2002.

At Newcastle, the fans never really got to see him at his consistent best, something that affected their relationship.

“The Newcastle fans aren’t as good as everybody says,” adds Bramble. “They think that they should be winning things – but why? They haven’t won a trophy for 50 years. It was the fans that got Sam Allardyce the sack there. Can you believe that? The fans up there are powerful but I think he would have brought them success.

“Maybe I should have left Newcastle to get first-team football earlier. You can only really get judged when you are playing week in week out.

“At Newcastle I wasn’t playing week in and week out so it was good to get away and get a fresh start. I was always confident in my own ability and when I did get in the Wigan team, I think I was showing some consistent performance.

“Around the New Year my form dipped and then the manager took me out of the team, which was fair play to him as the others have come in and done really well.”

Bramble has seen his place at the heart of the Wigan defence go to Paul Scharner but he is desperate to win his place back and change the way he is viewed – much like Portsmouth’s David James has.

“I just want to get back in the team as soon as possible and look forward to being part of a successful Wigan team.

“I look at David James and what he done and he’s an example of how you can reinvent yourself. I could have a very good season next year but it will take two or three seasons for the critics to stop. I think it’s personal – that’s what I think.”

Guest Kenton Magpie

"Maybe I should have left Newcastle to get first-team football earlier"

Your spot on pal, I would happily have paid for your travel to fuck off earlier if given half a chance

Just about the only time he didn't play week-in, week-out was when he injured. Quite the history re-write there. Can't even get a game for Wigan now, the big useless lump.

Titus Bramble had a 5 year personal dislike of Alan Oliver yet he still can't even get the man's name.. he really is a scatter brained idiot!  mackems.gif

Previously I just thought of the guy as someone who did his best but just couldn't deal with the pressure of playing for a big club, I had no dislike for Titus personally what so ever and I'm sure most Newcastle fans would be the same.  Well not after this little comment:

“The Newcastle fans aren’t as good as everybody says,” adds Bramble. “They think that they should be winning things – but why? They haven’t won a trophy for 50 years. It was the fans that got Sam Allardyce the sack there. Can you believe that? The fans up there are powerful but I think he would have brought them success.

You might have a bit of respect for him if he said something along the lines of 'I should have left Newcastle earlier but decided to wait until my lucrative contract was up so I could get a big signing-on fee at my next club".

Guest The Libertine

150 games in 5 years is good for somebody who's rather shit.

he's been well and truly found out at wigan too, which has coincided with their better results these last few months.

Guest marky555

Surely he realises that its cos he ISNT a good player, regardless of whatever manager thinks he is, that is the reason why he gets shit.  Simple as that. What a mug

150 games in 5 years is good for somebody who's rather shit.

he's been well and truly found out at wigan too, which has coincided with their better results these last few months.

He was well and truly found out here. As you say though, averaging 30 games a season (inc. Europe, cups, etc.) yet complaining about not getting played week-in, week-out even though he had the odd spell on the sideline. What I find more annoying though is the lazy journalism which accepts what he says without challenging it. Canny funny how Bramble seems to rate Allardyce too, given the latter decided straight away he wasn't worth giving a contract extension to. Shows Big Sam wasn't all bad ;)

He's got a point about the media treatment, they do go mad for his mistakes.

But he really lets himself down with the rest of that rant/ramble... I would have gladly chipped in for his travel away from the toon as well.

He's right about David James being an example to him though, another player who looks world class sometimes and lets in 5 or 6 goals a year with comedy errors.

James is genuinely talented though. Also, he's been a class top-flight player for years and has played many times for England and has the record for the most PL clean sheets iirc. He has had the odd high-profile error which has caused him to gain a bit of reputation as someone who is error-prone. Bramble on the other hand rarely goes 90 mins without making a mistake that was or easily could have been costly. I accept Bramble's treatment has probably been over the top on many occasions but he'll never be in the same category as David James.

The reason the media go "mad" at him is because he never seems to learn from his mistakes. (Which also shows that he hasn't much of a brain)

I know, but I think that's just because he doesn't have the ability to play any better. He can't train his brain not to freeze...

I do think the press exaggerate his mistakes though, there are probably a number of other players just as error prone but not getting half as much stick. His physical appearance also makes him an easier target, the gormless lump.

Read it again and I think it's a disgrace, tbh. Used to have some sympathy for him, but he can fuck right off now. I hear he still a regular visitor to Newcastle, so I wonder how wise those comments will prove to be.

I did used to think that Lawrenson used to revel in pointing out his and Boumsong's mistakes, where they never, ever point out say Spurs defensive errors. Then the papers picked up on it too and of course he made more bloopers with Wigan and been dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce sold him to a Championship side in the summer.

Shame, we could have welcomed him back next season and thanked him for his nice remarks about us.  :knuppel2:

“The Newcastle fans aren’t as good as everybody says,” adds Bramble. “They think that they should be winning things – but why? They haven’t won a trophy for 50 years

I don't get why people keep saying this, when did we claim we expected to win trophies?

We just want a positive team that can give anyone a game, and if silverware comes with that then great. Lazy, predictable comment.

Read it again and I think it's a disgrace, tbh. Used to have some sympathy for him, but he can fuck right off now. I hear he still a regular visitor to Newcastle, so I wonder how wise those comments will prove to be.

Sums up his intelligence there like. What a divvy :lol: Probably thinks this wouldn't have got back to Newcastle fans.

Aye i can see Titus getting chinned like, the guy is huge!

I could easily see him getting chinned over those comments actually.

Yeah, chinned, but only because no-one can reach his nose.

Yeah, chinned, but only because no-one can reach his nose.

Ok.