Milner next season

Guest float one in

Guest float one in

While none of us can know the answer to whether Milner can play in this system, you can bet Keegan will have considered it and have the answer by the end of the pre-season if he doesn't already. I don't think you neccessarily need someone really 'creative' (ie a Modric) for the 433 to work. As long as you've got a target man who can bring others into the game, hold the ball up and turn defenders, with a bit of pace and goal threat around him, the midfield only has to keep it simple, be intelligent and full of running off the ball, and not give the opposition a minutes peace when they've got it. Having said that, genuine class on the ball is worth more than any amount of running.

Let's say KK goes for a Butt, Barton and a.n.otherhardworker in midfield (possibly Milner), if he can somehow get someone in the Berbatov mould up front with Owen and Martins (I know, a lot easier said than done, but there must be players out there waiting to be unearthed) I think that would work. After a whole pre-season under Keegan that midfield trio would be fluid, attack minded and tough to dominate, especially with two full backs full of confidence supporting them at every opportunity. Then it becomes a case of more or less getting the ball to the front three in the final third as much as possible and letting them do the business. What I'm saying is I don't think you necessarily need a Modric type player in that system for it to be effective and attacking - step forward James Milner?

Squad player at most, hasn't got any stand out attributes, he's average in every department I'd say.

Except his engine, work rate, mentality and the fact that he's hardly ever had a really poor game.

Are they really that good though? Or are you just falling back on those things because there is nothing else to defend him with? His attitude has been great to be fair. That alone doesn't make a good footballer.

Guest float one in

do we really need much more in the way of attacking threat from midfield than Milner and Barton could provide?

what?

If you read my last post you'll find my reasoning for that. If you have read it already, there's no need to ask 'what?'.

Guest float one in

I hope we do come back in for Milner.

We're desperate for some right side MF strength, and given past events with him, I'm not surprised journo's are putting 2 and 2 together.

Still probably groundless, though.

Cheers Brummie, its interesting that a supporter of the team 6th in the league thinks Milner could improve their first team. Apparently he impressed when he was at Villa, by all accounts.

Guest float one in

So we miss out on Modric, and within 12 hours people have suggested that both Emre and Milner could do that job anyway?

:D

I'm not saying he could do what Modric does. I am asking whether anyone thinks he could be part of a three man midfield. In fact I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested Milner could do the job Modric does. Hard to bear.

So we miss out on Modric, and within 12 hours people have suggested that both Emre and Milner could do that job anyway?

I'm not saying he could do what Modric does. I am asking whether anyone thinks he could be part of a three man midfield. In fact I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested Milner could do the job Modric does. Hard to bear.

Your very last line of your post says you don't think we need a player like Modric in that system, so James Milner should step in. That reads to me like you're saying we don't need Modric because we've got Milner. Sorry like, but that's how it reads.

Guest Knightrider

I would still like to see what Milner could do in the hole or behind a front two, similar to the Owen position. I think he'd work well there myself. Not for us now though, we require extra quality which Milner doesn't have but whenever he's played there for England under 21s he's had some joy.

Hopefully we will have enough quality for him to be a squad player. As someone said though there is no point selling him unless we get a large fee as he can play in a number of positions, is still young and isn't by any means a bad player.

Guest float one in

Your very last line of your post says you don't think we need a player like Modric in that system, so James Milner should step in. That reads to me like you're saying we don't need Modric because we've got Milner. Sorry like, but that's how it reads.

No, the last line is clearly a question. But by all means keep trying.

Milner = squad player we currently have.

Malbranque = squad player of a club where we want, and should, be.

Work rate and the ability to occassionally produce something decent if he gets enough attempts is something that wont make up for being a poor footballer all round.

Guest Immsy7

Milner = squad player we currently have.

Malbranque = squad player of a club where we want, and should, be.

Work rate and the ability to occassionally produce something decent if he gets enough attempts is something that wont make up for being a poor footballer all round.

Malbranque is not a squad player, many Spurs fans see him as one of their best players.

And for the record...where do we want to be? We are level on points with Tottenham..?

Answer your own question then. Do you think Milner should be in that role?

It's brilliant how much Match of the Day affects people.

I don't understand what you're getting at Dave - are you saying you get a better opinion of Milner if you only watch the highlights?

Nah, referring to something else in this thread. Never mind.

do we really need much more in the way of attacking threat from midfield than Milner and Barton could provide?

what?

If you read my last post you'll find my reasoning for that. If you have read it already, there's no need to ask 'what?'.

to be honest i thought it was either the question of someone who's never seen milner play, not seen barton or us this season, or a joke. i thought the latter

Guest float one in

Answer your own question then. Do you think Milner should be in that role?

I don't think he SHOULD necessarily be in that role. It just occurred to me earlier today that it could be an interesting possibilty, which is why I started the thread and asked the question. I was interested to see what people thought.

I think there might be a very good Premier League player in Milner. He has frustrated on the wing, but also offered occassional excellence along with tremendous endevour, and he is still very young. For those reasons I think he could well do with a change of position, and wondered what people might think about him as part of a midfield three. I still think it was a worthwhile question, and didn't deserve to be laughed at by you, really.

Another thing to take into account is the success Keegan had when he changed players positions or roles in his previous stint here - Lee into centre mid, Fox to the left flank, Venison to centre mid, Clarkie into a more defensive role were all good changes for one reason or another. Not to mention Owen's recent renaissance. He isn't scared of changing the way a player plays, and seems to have a knack of it.

Guest fraser

A lot of us are getting a long way ahead of ourselves here.

I've seen Milner play well in a team that hasn't functioned until recently (and I mean these past two seasons). My main doubt about him is that he hasn't the pace to take him to the very highest level. On the other hand he's more than good enough for us and will be for some time yet. The idea that we can discard Milner on the basis of an excellent run of performances towards the end of a difficult season is either preposterous or arrogant imo. He's more likely to dump us to improve himself.