Our rivals in 2008/2009

Dave

As much as I would love to agree Keegan is no fool and he knows the side has to walk before it can run. I can only predict what I hoped for last season a 8-10 place finish. Depending on the signings that may go up to a uefa place but it all depends on how much stronger the teams around us get.

You are simply wrong, 91-92, we were dreadful, avoided relegation to third on last day... (keegan wasnt there at start)

92-93... 11 wins at start....Champions

93-94.... 1st season in prem...3rd

94-95....Team rebuilding....6th

95-96....Eric Cantona robbed us the Tiltle.....2nd

96-97.... played over half a season under KK....2nd

thatl be, 1st, 3rd, 6th , 2nd 2nd, seasons began with KK as manager, And it was F-king great, i was there home and away.

anybody thinks we are finishing half way down the league next season, is wrong.

it has been 11 years now sinse keegan was last here and by hell have times changed the league is alot stronger  and Iam sure you have noticed there is almost 3 mini leagues going on every year now. Keegan will want to be playing with the big boys but he knows it will not happen over night.

It's always good to see some people setting themselves up to be hugely disappointed next season before this one has even finished.

There's a fine line between realistic optimism and unrealistic expectation.

We shall see , you miserable git

3rd Aston Villa

4th Newcastle

5th Arsenal

6th Liverpool

7th Everton

8th Portsmouth

9th Spurs

10th Sunderland

11th Middlesbrough

12th Blackburn

13th West Ham

14th Manchester City

Zany

Just... wrong.

Exactly.....who thinks Sunderland will finish in 10th place.   ;D

It's always good to see some people setting themselves up to be hugely disappointed next season before this one has even finished.

What would you class as realistic optimism then?

Generally agree btw, loads of people set themselves up for great things then complain when they don't materialise with this club.

As much as I would love to agree Keegan is no fool and he knows the side has to walk before it can run. I can only predict what I hoped for last season a 8-10 place finish. Depending on the signings that may go up to a uefa place but it all depends on how much stronger the teams around us get.

You are simply wrong, 91-92, we were dreadful, avoided relegation to third on last day... (keegan wasnt there at start)

thatl be, 1st, 3rd, 6th , 2nd 2nd, seasons began with KK as manager, And it was F-king great, i was there home and away.

Anything is possible for sure and you are right in highlighting the fabulous record KK has at managing us. However the PL is a completely different ball game now, you really need huge amounts of money to compete with the big 4 in the league. Even if Ashley invested of 100 million in the summer, I don't think that would be enough to close the gap, it's that big.

It is a dangerous game the fans play to put so much expectation onto a side, just the right ammount gives the team the drive to do well for the fans. Too much and you see mass walk outs "sack the board" chants and the team does suffer for it .

We will have a difficult patch next season like every side seems to have we need to be prepared to take the highs with the lows. Pushing into the top half with the current side playing the way keegan wants them too seems probable add 3-5 signings and the team could challenge for a uefa place but it all comes down to what other teams are doing which is totally out of our control.

i think we might do similar to how man city have done this season, have a good start as big signings make an early impact, then drop away as the season progresses. iirc keegan's newcastle sides always made storming starts to the season.

Anything is possible for sure and you are right in highlighting the fabulous record KK has at managing us. However the PL is a completely different ball game now, you really need huge amounts of money to compete with the big 4 in the league. Even if Ashley invested of 100 million in the summer, I don't think that would be enough to close the gap, it's that big.

Actually the prem is exactly the same ball game....Its called football,    KKs lowest finish 6th, i fully expect that or better, with Astleys money,

Form over last 6 games, once Kk settled in, as good as any side in league,

Jesus this forum Shud be called Newcastle Pesimists online,

We are on the verge of something great, just like summer 92

It is a dangerous game the fans play to put so much expectation onto a side, just the right ammount gives the team the drive to do well for the fans. Too much and you see mass walk outs "sack the board" chants and the team does suffer for it .

We will have a difficult patch next season like every side seems to have we need to be prepared to take the highs with the lows. Pushing into the top half with the current side playing the way keegan wants them too seems probable add 3-5 signings and the team could challenge for a uefa place but it all comes down to what other teams are doing which is totally out of our control.

FFs Sake, Roeder got us to 7th, and you dont think KK can match that.... come on now boys

FFs Sake, Roeder got us to 7th, and you dont think KK can match that.... come on now boys

The standard of teams fighting for it has improved it wont be easy

centrepaddock82, do you invisage another promoted team finishing third in their first season? Like, ever again?

Of course things are different man.

centrepaddock82, do you invisage another promoted team finishing third in their first season? Like, ever again?

Maybe, if wed have gone down this season.

Cheer up man, yr miserable bunch, I can be happy, knowing Whats on its way

i think we might do similar to how man city have done this season, have a good start as big signings make an early impact, then drop away as the season progresses. iirc keegan's newcastle sides always made storming starts to the season.

Yes we did, I think we topped the table early on in all bar our first season in the the prem when we took a few games to settle down before  building up a head of steam, that first season we actually sustained our form much better than the ones to follow.

Our home record was our foundation in those years, SJP was such a hard place to come a get a result. I wouldn't be surprised to see us loose just a couple at home next year.

The problem is that in order to compete with the big boys, we have to be one of the big boys.. if that makes sense? Money's being thrown around like confetti at a wedding nowadays, so now, much more than before, we have to rely on our 'attractiveness' to potential stars since other teams are willing to pay-up as well. Unfortunately, however season upon season under-achieving ahs taken its toll and we are no longer an attractive outfit-- teams like tottenham now have more allure-- and in order to attract the stars that will help us break into the top 4, we need to be finishing as close as possible to them.

Im under no illusions as to keegans managerial prowess- he's a great man- but to bridge the gap in 1 season regardless of how much we spend (who can we realistically attract that'll help us get into the champions league?) is ludricrously far-fetched thinking.

Paddock, although i enjoy your optimism and hope that you're right, i just can't see it happening tbh...

The standard of teams fighting for it has improved it wont be easy

Keegan thrives on taking the things that aren't easy, and doing them well,

Took a side from 1 game away from 3rd, to champions in 1 season

I would rather aim low and get a suprise than aim high only to feel the season was a "write off" or a "disappointment" climbing the table and playing some memerable football is enough to make me happy. I remember the old "where will we finish this season" thread from last summer and some of the comments were cringe worthy to say the least. All the clubs problems cannot be laid to one person alone i.e FS last year and not every solution can be laid at one person i.e keengan this year. I have faith that Keegan will be putting us back where the fans want to be soon I just cannot see it being turned around in one summer. Maybe I have my bar far too low for some but I guess each to their own     O0

:lol:

That's some mental optimism there mate.

I applaud your optimism, lets hope you are right and you come back on here in a year's time telling us "I told you so".

Good to see positivity returning to the fans, we've been in the dauldrums for too long now.

The problem is that in order to compete with the big boys, we have to be one of the big boys.. if that makes sense? Money's being thrown around like confetti at a wedding nowadays, so now, much more than before, we have to rely on our 'attractiveness' to potential stars since other teams are willing to pay-up as well. Unfortunately, however season upon season under-achieving ahs taken its toll and we are no longer an attractive outfit-- teams like tottenham now have more allure-- and in order to attract the stars that will help us break into the top 4, we need to be finishing as close as possible to them.

Im under no illusions as to keegans managerial prowess- he's a great man- but to bridge the gap in 1 season regardless of how much we spend (who can we realistically attract that'll help us get into the champions league?) is ludricrously far-fetched thinking.

Paddock, although i enjoy your optimism and hope that you're right, i just can't see it happening tbh...

I can never be Pesimistic with King Kev running the show, I know we will have a fantastic season , next

I applaud your optimism, lets hope you are right and you come back on here in a year's time telling us "I told you so".

Good to see positivity returning to the fans, we've been in the dauldrums for too long now.

I will, I will tell you 'I told you so'

I will be Humble with my Greatness.

From August, 'Nothing' is what I Fear

Providing KK can get some quality in in the middle we can get 5th. Just look at some of the shit results we've had over the season, we've lost to Reading, Derby and Wigan ffs, drawn against Bolton, Birmingham and Boro (twice) & Derby. There's 17 points I expect us to get next season, that would have seen us above Villa I think. There's other too like drawing at Sunderland... list goes on.

What will your feelings be if we achieve a mid table finish out of interest?

Cant contemplate KK failing,,,,,, it dosent compute,,, its never happend,, EVER