Teams suffering NSS- New Stadium Syndrome

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Moving to a new stadium can seriously damage your success.

I think the big teams enjoy playing at new staiums, as they are in very comfortable surroundings, new changing rooms, top facilities, perfect surface, very much like they would have at their own clubs. Southampton are the best example of how a new stadium can hinder you. In relative terms, but for different reasons, it has also hampered some larger clubs Bayern Munich last season, Arsenal have won nothing at the Emirates, Man City pre Thaksin, Derby this season (offset by their succes last season), Coventry.

I think this is especially the case when their original stadium was awful, Southampton, Cov. I can see it happen to Portsmouth if they move.

Any other good examples

It has had the opposite effect for Swansea City. The Vetch field was a dive but created an excellent atmosphere, so the worry whe we moved to the Liberty Stadium would be that the atmosphere would not carry in a half empty stadium. To be fair they have done really well at the Liberty which has resulted in promotion to the championship this season!

Guest sicko2ndbest

wwwwhhhhhhhooooooooooooossssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to the lot of you

My bad  :blush:

Guest sicko2ndbest

It has had the opposite effect for Swansea City. The Vetch field was a dive but created an excellent atmosphere, so the worry whe we moved to the Liberty Stadium would be that the atmosphere would not carry in a half empty stadium. To be fair they have done really well at the Liberty which has resulted in promotion to the championship this season!

I dont think it has as much of an effect at lower league clubs. I think Swansea will struggle next season if they dont add to their current squad.

Southampton did well at St Marys for a couple of seasons... I'd say it's more Rupert Lowe syndrome and its lasting effect catching up with them, as opposed to new stadium syndrome.

I dont think it has as much of an effect at lower league clubs. I think Swansea will struggle next season if they dont add to their current squad.

Swansea have a very strong 1st team, I think the 1st 11 are capable of a mid table finish but they need numbers, the back up are shocking. Swansea lost both full backs to injury lately and their replacement are non league standard at best.

Hopefully they can keep hold of Loan player Anderson from Liverpool and keep other Championship clubs away from players like Scotland and Bodde!

Guest optimistic nit

it'll be really interesting to see how martinez does next season. he's turned a team that lost their star player and were never really considered for promotion even with him in the team to easily the best team in the division, and that was in his first season wasn't it.