Shearer - Amazing

Decky

He scored 14 goals in his last season here, 17 the season before that. The 1st season without him Oba scored 17 and no one came close behind him. This season Owen is leading the pack on 12 goals. Shearer may not have been his former self in his last 2 years here, but he did the business for us those last 2 seasons the same as Oba did last season and so far more than Owen is doing this season. Doesnt deserve the "he was great but his last couple of seasons....." stuff.

Guest Knightrider

That Arsenal game was class, how he never got sent-off I'll never know. :lol:

He didn't actually do anything that warranted a sending off though, strictly speaking where the laws of the game are concerned (IMO). I personally loved that performance, the kind I was referring to where he basically abused his own body for the cause. He was immense that game I thought.

People also forget just how much he had to once again change his game as he hit his final 2 years here (becoming a battering ram) which again showed just how good a player he was, to change his game the number of times he did is no tall order, especially in a team like ours that lets be honest, very rarely matched his own unique talent over the years, much less other traits like character, leadership and good old honesty in the shirt.

One of his best all-round games for me was against Charlton when we beat them 3-1 at St. James' Park the year we finished 5th, he bullied and lead the line like he did against Arsenal, but without the ugly brute style, in fact he had a stormer of a season that campaign in my eyes, the Fulham away performance was also immense and that performance at home to Chelsea with that goal, sublime. By the time Marseille came around, he was running on empty. Such a shame.

Here's one for the forum, is Shearer the most let down player in the club's history? We wasted Shearer it's sad to say, he was much more deserving of better managers, better team-mates and better times. I think his all or nothing approach to breaking Wor Jackie's record, on reflection, was roy of the rovers stuff and only endeared him more to me anyway. And he did it. 206 goals for his hometown team, the greatest all-time goalscorer in the club's history. What a feat.

He was just a superb player in every sense. Makes me extremely proud knowing our city produced such a fine player and indeed person, a hero to all.

He scored 14 goals in his last season here, 17 the season before that. The 1st season without him Oba scored 17 and no one came close behind him. This season Owen is leading the pack on 12 goals. Shearer may not have been his former self in his last 2 years here, but he did the business for us those last 2 seasons the same as Oba did last season and so far more than Owen is doing this season. Doesnt deserve the "he was great but his last couple of seasons....." stuff.

He does if for much of the seasons he is about as useful as Alan Smith - which was pretty much the case for every away game at the very least. He's always going to remain a good finisher, even now at 35/36 I would expect him to bury alot of the chances that the likes of Martins and Owen have been missing, so he did score a handful of goals (iirc 7 in the premiership with a bucketload in the Intertoto), but lets not gloss over the fact that it was labourious getting him those chances, nor ignore the numerous games where we had to put up with him being back pocketed with ease in the Premiership.

Even Ameobi went on a run where he was scoring frequently against mediocre Premiership opposition, particularly at home, and imo thats the level that Shearer had fallen to by that time. It was criminal that we let the situation develop to that extent, big clubs would have moved a player like that on or made him a squad/backup player, instead we thanked Shearer for his service by ensuring that he was a cast iron first teamer (with or without Owen).

Shay Given has been nearly as good a servant as Shearer over the years, we're talking about one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership until recently, someone who frequently dragged us out of the shitter season after season. Yet he's been dropped for poor form now, and rightly so. Thats how it should have been with Shearer.

Guest fraser

He does if for much of the seasons he is about as useful as Alan Smith - which was pretty much the case for every away game at the very least. He's always going to remain a good finisher, even now at 35/36 I would expect him to bury alot of the chances that the likes of Martins and Owen have been missing, so he did score a handful of goals (iirc 7 in the premiership with a bucketload in the Intertoto), but lets not gloss over the fact that it was labourious getting him those chances, nor ignore the numerous games where we had to put up with him being back pocketed with ease in the Premiership.

Even Ameobi went on a run where he was scoring frequently against mediocre Premiership opposition, particularly at home, and imo thats the level that Shearer had fallen to by that time. It was criminal that we let the situation develop to that extent, big clubs would have moved a player like that on or made him a squad/backup player, instead we thanked Shearer for his service by ensuring that he was a cast iron first teamer (with or without Owen).

Shay Given has been nearly as good a servant as Shearer over the years, we're talking about one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership until recently, someone who frequently dragged us out of the shitter season after season. Yet he's been dropped for poor form now, and rightly so. Thats how it should have been with Shearer.

This is as succinct an example of the difference between watching football and understanding it as could ever be written.

Oh fuck off

Oh fuck off

He's right though.

Here's one for the forum, is Shearer the most let down player in the club's history? We wasted Shearer it's sad to say, he was much more deserving of better managers, better team-mates and better times. I think his all or nothing approach to breaking Wor Jackie's record, on reflection, was roy of the rovers stuff and only endeared him more to me anyway. And he did it. 206 goals for his hometown team, the greatest all-time goalscorer in the club's history. What a feat.

Not at all. Especially when you look at Waddle, Gazza and Pedro during their respective spells here, the first one obviously for Pedro.

It's a crying shame that we weren't able to keep hold of those 3 players back then, due to the situation the club was in. Those 3 could have been the spine of the team for absolutely years, talent like that hasn't been produced in this region since. But we had to sell them or they wanted to leave, due to the rabble they were playing with, something their talent didn't deserve.

That is the biggest shame, in particular with Gazza, as I've only seen glimpses of him in a Toon shirt, but I've heard everything about how good he was, saving us from relegation one season when coming back from injury, then amazing the year after. Me dad reckons it was the best form of his career, not the Spurs days, but back then. That is the biggest crying shame, that we never had a local lad, leading the team for all of his career, with all of the talent he had. A local lad who had the potential to go down as one of the greatest the game has ever seen, he's still the best Englishman I've seen, his ability puts all of the current crop to shame.

The fact he's still rated so high by many, after all of the injuries and losing his form, says it all, now that is a shame that we let these players go. That must have killed being a fan, seeing such talent leave. Shearer had it easy compared to Gazza, no doubt about that. Shearer had Champions League football, playing in front of 55,000 every week, top wages, he did have some cracking players around him, but I do agree with what you're saying.

Yet still there were critics on here of Big Al in his last 2 seasons - which truly revolted me.

Typical "What have you done for me lately" types.

Many of them the same ones that are attacking others for their "lack of faith" in KK !!!

The criticism was right though in his last 2 seasons, he was a shadow of his former self. There is no room for sentiment.

Bollocks.

Even the last two seasons he was doing more than anyone in an underperforming team.

idiot, you think 4 premiership goals (taking away penalties) in an entire season is 'doing more than anyone'

Bellamy got twice that and he was gone by Jan, do your research ffs

It should also be noted that Shearer scored 23 league goals for Southampton in the then First Division before the fancy name change to the Premier League making his real total League goals record 283

Yeah, but if you do he won't be top of the list. Jimmy Greaves would be miles ahead I would imagine.

I was just stating that in reality he has got 283 top flight goals not 260 putting him even further ahead of most on that list bar people like Wright, Ferdinand etc..  A name change means nothing. 

Guest Knightrider

Not at all. Especially when you look at Waddle, Gazza and Pedro during their respective spells here, the first one obviously for Pedro.

It's a crying shame that we weren't able to keep hold of those 3 players back then, due to the situation the club was in. Those 3 could have been the spine of the team for absolutely years, talent like that hasn't been produced in this region since. But we had to sell them or they wanted to leave, due to the rabble they were playing with, something their talent didn't deserve.

That is the biggest shame, in particular with Gazza, as I've only seen glimpses of him in a Toon shirt, but I've heard everything about how good he was, saving us from relegation one season when coming back from injury, then amazing the year after. Me dad reckons it was the best form of his career, not the Spurs days, but back then. That is the biggest crying shame, that we never had a local lad, leading the team for all of his career, with all of the talent he had. A local lad who had the potential to go down as one of the greatest the game has ever seen, he's still the best Englishman I've seen, his ability puts all of the current crop to shame.

The fact he's still rated so high by many, after all of the injuries and losing his form, says it all, now that is a shame that we let these players go. That must have killed being a fan, seeing such talent leave. Shearer had it easy compared to Gazza, no doubt about that. Shearer had Champions League football, playing in front of 55,000 every week, top wages, he did have some cracking players around him, but I do agree with what you're saying.

I know what you're saying but at the time those players were potentials, Shearer was the real deal and we as a club were in a much better position to make proper use of that kind of talent, which we weren't and probably never would have been with your Gazzas et al even if they did stay.

It's not often I say this, but I agree with tmonkey.

prem goals (taking away penalities) for Shearer

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

anyone else massively impressed with this?

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

No, what was his injury record like through those seasons?

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

fine

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

Shock... Ronaldo in more Shearer belittling!

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

You're one to talk like with agendas.  :razz:

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

I was thinking that as I was reading through. He wont like Alan Shearer until  Alan has a romp with Lilly Savage, Dame Edna Everage & Danny La Rue.

So has your fat avatar friend. And he's not the most loyal player either, but that doesn't make him any less of a legend does it?

what are you talking about?

Im arguing with the guys who think Shearer had a good impact in his last 2 years here

dont compare Shearer to Ronaldo please, it's madness

Not madness at all. Shearer at his best was on the same level as Ronaldo imo. Different strikers but nothing wrong with comparing.

But of course thats ridiculous to someone who has something against a player like shearer.

Sure Ronaldo has a better game/goals ratio, but he had 10 galacticos behind him in Real (where he scored most of his goals), against teams in a league where there are 5 fine teams and the rest are shit.

I wont even start on Serie A, the leagues a joke a part from the top teams.

Not madness at all. Shearer at his best was on the same level as Ronaldo imo. Different strikers but nothing wrong with comparing.

But of course thats ridiculous to someone who has something against a player like shearer.

Sure Ronaldo has a better game/goals ratio, but he had 10 galacticos behind him in Real (where he scored most of his goals), against teams in a league where there are 5 fine teams and the rest are s***.

silly, very silly. I highly doubt you saw Ronaldo at his best to be honest

you criticise La liga and Serie A but lets face it, Middlesbrough sit 15th in the premiership right now and are Blackburn 7th, it cant be that great

Sure Ronaldo has a better game/goals ratio, but he had 10 galacticos behind him in Real (where he scored most of his goals), against teams in a league where there are 5 fine teams and the rest are shit.

Brilliant. :lol:

2004-05 4

2005-06 5

As he's quoting the original poster, could you ask the same question about Owen. ;)

Shearer - the man that made me support Newcastle. The best.

???

Certainly something i would admit too, gloryhunters do things like that...

and you chose newcastle united? ....  :laugh:

Think what you want, I wasn't into Football until I saw Shearer play for England, asked my dad who he played for, rest is history.

And how exactly can ANY Newcastle supporter be a glory hunter, unless they started around the time when we won the league about 5 times, which I think was in the 1910's... :lol: