Other clubs' transfers

Dave

So who is Barry's replacement?, or are you saying he'll stay?  Also who will Cuellar replace?

As for calling Cuellar Boumsong 2.. you're putting words in my mouth.  I said at best he could be an able replacement for Mellberg (think Mellberg before he was moved to right back) and at worst he could be Boumsong 2, as in he could flop completely.

Sorry, just picked up on the Boumsong reference, wasn't referring specifically to you, but to the other mentions of him. True, Cuellar could flop completely, but so could anyone.

He looked pretty good in the UEFA cup last year, and I think as one of our options at CB he'll strengthen us considerably.

Cuellar isn't a replacement for anyone, we had three centre backs, and one of them is long term injured (Davies, although making his way back soon apparently), it is a move to strengthen the squad.

We'd pathetic small numbers last season, we were really lucky with injuries. That won't happen again this season, and we're also going to have to play UEFA cup matches, we desperately needed strengthening.

Sidwell is a totally different player to Barry, it is hard to see how he'd have been bought to replace him. Barry's still there, yes, he might stay, he might not, but I think it is unfair to say we've not strengthened because we've lost Barry (when we haven't) and replaced him with Sidwell (which we haven't).

People are just curious as to how well he'll do since hardly any players have come down from Scotland and done we'll since the 80's, Duncan Ferguson probably being the pick of the bunch, even the players O'Neill has signed from Scotland haven't reached anywhere near the level that they were made to be on up there.

People are just curious as to how well he'll do since hardly any players have come down from Scotland and done we'll since the 80's, Duncan Ferguson probably being the pick of the bunch, even the players O'Neill has signed from Scotland haven't reached anywhere near the level that they were made to be on up there.

Petrov certainly hasn't. Most disappointing. Maloney hasn't really been given the chance yet.

That Gattuso bloke did alright for himself after a spell in Scotland, mind.

I don't mean he will replace him directly, be the same kind of player ect.  I'm just trying to look at the players that have left the team and the players that will come into the team in order to try to see this obvious improvement people are talking about.  Fair enough I suppose Barry hasn't gone yet though..

Would say Bouma is better then Shorey and Mellberg is better then Luke Young even at right back.  Can't argue Friedel is better then Carson and Cuellar should certainly be better then Zat Knight but Knight wasn't even first choice so its quite odd to even compare them.

Bouma is a better player than Shorey, but his right foot currently points in the wrong direction, hence the need for another LB. When Bouma comes back, we'll have two LBs instead of one at the club.

The other obvious improvement is that we now have a right back. Mellberg did ok there defensively, but was awful coming forward. We've now got Luke Young to play there.

If you can find me a single Villa fan who thinks Mellberg is a better option at right back than Luke Young, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

I actually may say something that Brummie doesn't bite my head off about here. But I think it must be really exciting being a Villa fan atm, they have a geniune chance IMO of winning some silverwear this season, I can see them winning the UEFA cup actually. I also think it'll be between them and Spuds for the best of the rest prize. I don't think they have the most talent of the teams outside the big 4 but they do have great team spirit, a solid looking squad and a very good manager. It looks like a pretty good package to me, going into this season.

Guest BooBoo

Would say Bouma is better then Shorey and Mellberg is better then Luke Young even at right back.  Can't argue Friedel is better then Carson and Cuellar should certainly be better then Zat Knight but Knight wasn't even first choice so its quite odd to even compare them.

Bouma is a better player than Shorey, but his right foot currently points in the wrong direction, hence the need for another LB. When Bouma comes back, we'll have two LBs instead of one at the club.

The other obvious improvement is that we now have a right back. Mellberg did ok there defensively, but was awful coming forward. We've now got Luke Young to play there.

If you can find me a single Villa fan who thinks Mellberg is a better option at right back than Luke Young, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

I actually may say something that Brummie doesn't bite my head off about here. But I think it must be really exciting being a Villa fan atm, they have a geniune chance IMO of winning some silverwear this season, I can see them winning the UEFA cup actually. I also think it'll be between them and Spuds for the best of the rest prize. I don't think they have the most talent of the teams outside the big 4 but they do have great team spirit, a solid looking squad and a very good manager. It looks like a pretty good package to me, going into this season.

Villa still lack a top quality striker which is why i've marked them down to finish 7th this year. They are improving though.

Villa still lack a top quality striker which is why i've marked them down to finish 7th this year. They are improving though.

I can see your reasoning there but there seems to be a lot of faith in the Agbonhoweveryouspellit and Carew partnership down there. Everton seem to have gone backwards this pre season, while I'm not sure anyone has done enough to push on from the rest of the also rans. Spuds and Villa to me seem to be much better than the rest of the crap in there.

I can see your reasoning there but there seems to be a lot of faith in the Agbonhoweveryouspellit and Carew partnership down there. Everton seem to have gone backwards this pre season, while I'm not sure anyone has done enough to push on from the rest of the also rans. Spuds and Villa to me seem to be much better than the rest of the crap in there.

To be honest, I can't remember a Villa player in 30 years who has made me as undecided as Gabby.

Sometimes, he does things which make me think he's potentially got it all, then he'll have spells which make me think he's really not got it. I'm not alone on that front, it is a relatively widely held viewpoint.

We do need something different up front, though. We scored more goals than almost everyone last year, but they were spread through the team, we need a striker with a better goal rate than those we have now.

It is quite exciting at the moment. More than anything, I want the progress to be sustainable, and so far the signs are that it will be. We've still got a lot to do this window, mind.

Incidentally, MON has said on R5 tonight that Barry has "asked to play tomorrow" in the UEFA Cup. Make of that what you will.

Forcing Liverpool to act.

In the next 22.5 hours?

I don't think even Loans4U will turn around an application that quickly.

Incidentally, MON has said on R5 tonight that Barry has "asked to play tomorrow" in the UEFA Cup. Make of that what you will.

Forcing Liverpool to act.

In the next 22.5 hours?

I don't think even Loans4U will turn around an application that quickly.

:lol:

i applaud you sir

Liverpool are looking good tonight aren't they?

*nonchalant, whistling emoticon*

Yet again, they seemed to have signed a number of players without markedly improving themselves. Year-in, year-out the same thing happens, and again they'll finish 3rd at best.

Liverpool are looking good tonight aren't they?

*nonchalant, whistling emoticon*

Yet again, they seemed to have signed a number of players without markedly improving themselves. Year-in, year-out the same thing happens, and again they'll finish 3rd at best.

To be honest, I still think they'll finish 4th by some way, and I think Keane and Torres will work well together, but they don't look in any where nearer to challenging for the title.

The top four becomes more and more the top two plus the next two.

I'll also say - and I really mean this - that, even putitng to one side their nefarious behaviour this summer, if Barry left for Chelsea or Man United, or even Arsenal, I wouldn't blame him, but Liverpool ......

To be honest, I can't remember a Villa player in 30 years who has made me as undecided as Gabby.

Sometimes, he does things which make me think he's potentially got it all, then he'll have spells which make me think he's really not got it. I'm not alone on that front, it is a relatively widely held viewpoint.

We do need something different up front, though. We scored more goals than almost everyone last year, but they were spread through the team, we need a striker with a better goal rate than those we have now.

It is quite exciting at the moment. More than anything, I want the progress to be sustainable, and so far the signs are that it will be. We've still got a lot to do this window, mind.

Two more signings , a RW and a centre forward and the "also rans" title will be yours TBH.

The majority of the players you've brought in have been of the right age, obviously Friedel is the exception but you also gt a good young un in to counter balance that. So I don't think you have too many worries in being able to sustain it.  If I were O'Neill I would be trying to work out a deal with Liverpool for an player exchange between Barry and Kuyt, I think they may go for that and Villa would the better of that.

^^^ to be honest, if there was one Liverpool player I'd be interested in as part of an exchange, it would be Benayoun.

RM is definitely the most important position for us to fill, though. We can make do with the strikers we have until January if need be, but last year the RM slot was comical, Petrov drifting in to the centre and falling over NRC at every opportunity ....

Having said that, I'm miles happier than i was this time last week, I'd like him to improve the squad a fair bit more before the window closes, but he's heading in the right direction.

He's an incredibly, incredibly frustrating manager in the transfer window, though. I'd try to explain just how frustrating, but I'd struggle.

Let's not be counting the chickens just yet, chaps.

Oh, I'm sure they'll still go through. Teams often roll over at Anfield.

It's just funny to see how far behind they still are after signing Robbie "last piece of the jigsaw" Keane.

It's just funny to see how far behind they still are after signing Robbie "last piece of the jigsaw" Keane.

Wasn't just meaning the tie, like.

Not saying they'll be fighting for the title, but it's still daft to write them off completely after 1 competitive game.

Wasn't just meaning the tie, like.

Not saying they'll be fighting for the title, but it's still daft to write them off completely after 1 competitive game.

actually it's not, they've spaffed their wad on a player that wasn't a crucial part of them not challenging imo

the stories circulating now about them chasing an 8m winger tell the real story - keane will not be a deciding factor in them winning the league full stop