Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Boro have made a confirmed bid for Hoyte according to SSN...

Terrible player.

Allows attackers to run at him as he backs off all the way into his 6yd box, before even thinking about entertaining the idea of putting in a challenge.

Clueless defender.

Southgate will be the toast of the town for Arsenal fans tonight.

Ha ha..

Villa pay over the top for Cueller...

Anton Ferdinand - 10m

Younes Kaboul - 6m

Carlos Cuellar - 7.8m

Those were two others we were linked with this summer. I know which one looks the best.

that's right. Cuellar pisses all over the other 2 from a great height

Does he? We know Kaboul hasn't done too well, and we know Ferdinand is an average prem defender, but i cannot remember the last time Cuellar played in the Premiership.

He's played in a weak league all season looking great, and in the UEFA playing in the most boring mind numbing defensive team on planet, although he looked good, its hard to tell from that alone. A decent defender is going to shine in an ultra defensive formation no doubt about it.

Its a big fee, a big gamble, he could easily be another Boumsong, or an Amoruso, or a Barry Ferguson. I don't think he will be, but i don't reckon he'll piss all over Ferdinand or be as fantastic as everyone reckons. Still would have liked him here, but would say personally, £5m is a gamble.

So many people just don't even mention the fact he is a proven La Liga defender. Or are you saying the Premiership is that far ahead of La Liga? No more of a gamble than Coloccini or Vidic for that matter.

He was as average as Ferdinand in LaLiga.

Hardly anyone had heard of him when he moved to Rangers, i didn't hear ymany people on here complaining we missed out on this proven quality.

How you work out that comparison with Ferdinand I don't know. He was linked with the top clubs in Spain and also premiership teams before his move to Rangers and I had certainly noticed him in that Osasuna side that were doing really well.

I can't say I know anything about Cuellar in Spain but if he was attracting top clubs in England and Spain how did he end up going to Scotland for £1.8m? Its hardly a massive gamble if he was looking that great?

Cuellar signing is confirmed now.

This time last week I was suicidal at our business. Right now I'm way more happy. That's fickle football fans for you.

How many players you got so far this window now and how much spent?

sidwell, friedel, gusman, cuellar and young? nicky shorey as well iirc

Curtis Davies actually signed this summer, having technically been on a year long loan last season. About £30m spent I make that.

I think that's about right.

Davies - 9

Cuellar - 7.8

Young - 5.5

Sidwell - 5

Shorey - 4.5

Friedel - 2

Guzan - 1

Total = 34.8

Out

Moore - 3

Sorensen, Berger, Mellberg - all free.

Spend = 31.8

He's got a lot of holes in the squad still to fill, to be honest, so he'll need to spend a bit more yet.

Cuellar signing is confirmed now.

This time last week I was suicidal at our business. Right now I'm way more happy. That's fickle football fans for you.

How many players you got so far this window now and how much spent?

sidwell, friedel, gusman, cuellar and young? nicky shorey as well iirc

Curtis Davies actually signed this summer, having technically been on a year long loan last season. About £30m spent I make that.

I think that's about right.

Davies - 9

Cuellar - 7.8

Young - 5.5

Sidwell - 5

Shorey - 4.5

Friedel - 2

Guzan - 1

Total = 34.8

Out

Moore - 3

Sorensen, Berger, Mellberg - all free.

Spend = 31.8

He's got a lot of holes in the squad still to fill, to be honest, so he'll need to spend a bit more yet.

Some decent signings there, and the squad is definitely improved, but I can't help but think that maybe, for all that money spent, you haven't got any real top class quality with the possible exception of Friedel. I think that's the real difference between becoming the best of the rest, which is a reasonable target for Villa this season, and really kicking on to challenge for the major honours.

Some decent signings there, and the squad is definitely improved, but I can't help but think that maybe, for all that money spent, you haven't got any real top class quality with the possible exception of Friedel. I think that's the real difference between becoming the best of the rest, which is a reasonable target for Villa this season, and really kicking on to challenge for the major honours.

I hope you realise you've described our situation pretty much perfectly there. I suspect so.

The quality was already there in some areas, in Young, Laursen, Barry (not him again) and Bouma (get well soon). Our problem last season was that we had areas where we had literally nothing.

Mellberg forced to play a whole season out of position at RB, no right sided midfielder etc. Gardner forced to deputise at RB, even NRC at one point. No goalkeeper cover of note (Taylor is rubbish, and so was Carson the first choice).

You're exactly right, though, our aim this season is to become / remain (as you see it) the best of the rest and consolidate our position. If we're going to break the top four (and personally, I think it is a long way off), then it will not happen in the space of one or two seasons, and if it happens at all, i want it to be sustainable.

I'm most happy because he seems to be taking a longer term view in building a squad.

Laursen, Davies, Cuellar, Knight as CBs. Even given Knight at 4th choice, that's pretty good. Guzan and Friedel cover GK for some time to come. Shorey and Bouma at LB, very good. Young plus another RB will be good in that position.

Our obv needs now are right side midfield and the option to have something a bit different up front.

None of this stuff will happen overnight, but seeing steps being taken in the right direction makes me pretty happy.

The quality was already there in some areas, in Young, Laursen, Barry (not him again) and Bouma (get well soon). Our problem last season was that we had areas where we had literally nothing.

Mellberg forced to play a whole season out of position at RB, no right sided midfielder etc. Gardner forced to deputise at RB, even NRC at one point. No goalkeeper cover of note (Taylor is rubbish, and so was Carson the first choice).

You're exactly right, though, our aim this season is to become / remain (as you see it) the best of the rest and consolidate our position. If we're going to break the top four (and personally, I think it is a long way off), then it will not happen in the space of one or two seasons, and if it happens at all, i want it to be sustainable.

I'm most happy because he seems to be taking a longer term view in building a squad.

Laursen, Davies, Cuellar, Knight as CBs. Even given Knight at 4th choice, that's pretty good. Guzan and Friedel cover GK for some time to come. Shorey and Bouma at LB, very good. Young plus another RB will be good in that position.

Our obv needs now are right side midfield and the option to have something a bit different up front.

None of this stuff will happen overnight, but seeing steps being taken in the right direction makes me pretty happy.

I wish you were a Newcastle fan.

Common sense.  :)

I wish you were a Newcastle fan.

Don't get me wrong, that above post makes it all look so simple, but it has been at times incredibly fucking frustrating, and worrying, and in many ways it still is.

The whole of last season with no RM and no RB. That's no right side. Incredibly frustrating, and we were very lucky with injuries and suspensions. I'vebeen amongst the people seriously questioning what the manager was doing, but to give him his due, two years ago we were fucked and doomed. Looking at the situation now it is very different. Not on the cusp of anything amazing, but solidly getting better and better.

Having a new owner has helped massively, but money alone isn't enough. The manager has got us from 16th to 11th to 6th. He's earned the right to do it in his slightly seat-of-the-pants, seemingly illogical way.

You should demand it all now Brummie, where's your ambition?

He has his head in the sand.

I hope you realise you've described our situation pretty much perfectly there. I suspect so.

I do, but we had a lower starting level than Villa this summer, so it was/is only to be expected. I'm reasonably happy with us for similar reasons brummie is with Villa, although we could do with an extra body or two this summer, and I have to accept we're still a little behind.

p.s. brummie, for my money one top class striker and you're looking very tasty (assuming GB stays).

I do, but we had a lower starting level than Villa this summer, so it was/is only to be expected. I'm reasonably happy with us for similar reasons brummie is with Villa, although we could do with an extra body or two this summer, and I have to accept we're still a little behind.

:thup:

Just making the point that I wish our own fans had such a balanced view on what it takes to get up the league. I'm happy to see us moving forward and think we will do this season, even if it's not straight up to the UEFA Cup spots like some seem to be expecting.

Just making the point that I wish our own fans had such a balanced view on what it takes to get up the league. I'm happy to see us moving forward and think we will do this season, even if it's not straight up to the UEFA Cup spots like some seem to be expecting.

I'd say I'm content at the moment. We seem to be moving in the right direction, thinking about the future and building a team and a squad. UEFA qualification would excite me, but I wouldn't complain about anything above 10th that showed promise.

I'm happy to see us moving forward and think we will do this season, even if it's not straight up to the UEFA Cup spots like some seem to be expecting.

Going into the last game of last season - and I may be wrong here - I think it was possible for us to finish anywhere between 6th and 9th (if not 9th, then it was certainly 8th) depending on how ours and other results went.

That's how tight it is in the bunch of teams after UEFA cup qualification.

At the bare minimum we should be challenging the likes of Villa, Everton & Portsmouth for the UEFA Cup spots, even if we don't make it. Another season like last year where we were nowhere near isn't good enough. City, Blackburn & West Ham are there for the taking from the clubs who beat us last year, so at the absolute minimum, a challenge for a top 8 spot is where we should be aiming short-term.

Good point from ONut, of the teams above us (catchable) I'd say only Tottenham and Villa have done better in the transfer market. Pompey have lost their most important midfielder, Blackburn have lost two of their best and most influential players, City seem to be in turmoil but we'll see, Everton haven't got anyone in yet and West Ham have also struggled. It could be very tight from 6th to about 12th this year.

Good point from ONut, of the teams above us (catchable) I'd say only Tottenham and Villa have done better in the transfer market. Pompey have lost their most important midfielder, Blackburn have lost two of their best and most influential players, City seem to be in turmoil but we'll see, Everton haven't got anyone in yet and West Ham have also struggled. It could be very tight from 6th to about 12th this year.

Good point but it generally is, which is why a player coming in who can score/create an extra 15 goals would mean the world of difference. Someone who can turn draws into wins and losses into draws by doing something out of the ordinary. We don't have that type of player. Yet. :)

What do you think of Sebastian Larsson, Brummie?

I really rate him and would be quite happy if we signed him. I know we've been linked with him, vaguely, but I can't help thinking it is fanciful, they'd never sell him to us. Not after we sold them Liam Ridgewell ;)

He's by some way the only player of theirs I'd want. That's not saying that much, but he's a very promising player.