Other clubs' transfers

Dave

I love the way Spurs seem to think the way to success is to just frantically sign more players, endlessly.

At some point, good coaching comes into it.

Sadly, Harry is the kind of manager who will go for the frantic spending in the vain hope it pays off eventually, rather than working on coaching what he has to do the best they can.

When he said last week he was as good a coach as MON and (I think) Fergie, I almost spat a kidney out. He's the archetypal cheque book manager, and he's now at a club who will go along with that strategy.

I genuinely struggle to think of a worse pairing. Look at recent goings on, resigning Defoe and Chimbonda and talking about re-signing Keane. That doesn't even look like inspired signing, it looks like bewilderment to me.

I hate the media love Spurs get, it is totally uncalled for, but I have no innate dislike for the club. If I were a Spurs fan right now, I would be very, very worried indeed.

Well it's lucky that you're not a fan then. Your club is doing good this season so enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm enjoying it very much, ta.

Just commenting on Harry's approach to management. Don't think our good season impinges on my ability to comment on matters elsewhere, tbh.

I love the way Spurs seem to think the way to success is to just frantically sign more players, endlessly.

Sadly, Harry is the kind of manager who will go for the frantic spending in the vain hope it pays off eventually, rather than working on coaching what he has to do the best they can.

When he said last week he was as good a coach as MON and (I think) Fergie, I almost spat a kidney out. He's the archetypal cheque book manager, and he's now at a club who will go along with that strategy.

I genuinely struggle to think of a worse pairing. Look at recent goings on, resigning Defoe and Chimbonda and talking about re-signing Keane. That doesn't even look like inspired signing, it looks like bewilderment to me.

I hate the media love Spurs get, it is totally uncalled for, but I have no innate dislike for the club. If I were a Spurs fan right now, I would be very, very worried indeed.

Well it's lucky that you're not a fan then. Your club is doing good this season so enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah Spurs will be after your top 4 spot next year :pow:

Just commenting on Harry's approach to management. Don't think our good season impinges on my ability to comment on matters elsewhere, tbh.

harry is a t***.

i don't mind spuds at all tbh, but harry makes me want them to fail.

i agree that they have a right to be worried, not quite as much as us, but they are spunking cash in the way we used to, and they dont have the manager to coach what he has as you say.

i dont think harry will last fwiw.

Guest kingdawson

You comment on spurs at near enough every opportunity you get tbh.

Plus i honestly don't get how us spending money shows how good a coach Arry is. Unless you're on the training field every day,  i really don't understand how you can come to the conclusion as to who's the better coach.

Jol spent money with us but apparantly he was/is a good coach, so i don't understand your point.

Guest kingdawson

harry is a t***.

i agree that they have a right to be worried, not quite as much as us, but they are spunking cash in the way we used to, and they dont have the manager to coach what he has as you say.

We have absolutly no reason wotsoever to worry whn it comes to the clubs finances tbh. The running of the club in regards to that department, is excellent. Have a look at a couple of pages back to see what our actual net spend is.

We do however have to worry about the fact that we're in a relegation scrap and whether or not our players are actually up for the battle.

harry is a t***.

We have absolutly no reason wotsoever to worry whn it comes to the clubs finances tbh. The running of the club in regards to that department, is excellent. Have a look at a couple of pages back to see what our actual net spend is.

***CRINGE**** I tend to look at the players your selling.

Ah so looking at the players we sell is a better method of assessing how good our finances are. Cheers for that.

No its not but I would not be getting a boner about net spend when you see which players you have sold & where you are in the league now.

harry is a t***.

We do however have to worry about the fact that we're in a relegation scrap and whether or not our players are actually up for the battle.

i'm really not that bothered mate.

a revolving door of players was more of what i was getting at, t doesnt do anyone any favours, and, without knowing the numbers, you must have one of the biggest turnover of players in the league.

and now harry is signing what wasnt deemed good enough as little as 6/7 months ago.

harry whinges every week about squad depth etc, and it shows him up, you have some real talent in your side, so his own personla shortcomings shouldnt be disguised by his weekly excuses.

surely its the coach's job to get the ebst out of what he has? not blame that it isnt good enough every week?

im sure the likes of fulham, wigan, west ham and hull who are above you, would do a straight swop of players with you.

as i said, got nowt against spurs, but harry is a knob, a self promoting useless bent one at that.

Harry Redknapp is a cheque book manager?  lol now i have heard it all.

???

I don't get it....

Harry's a wheeler dealer, always has been. Just now he's doing it on a bigger scale...

Exactly wheeler dealer, at West Ham barely had any resources except upcoming talent like Defoe, Lampard, Carrick, Ferdinand.  To call him chequebook manager, because he is in a position to sign players now is something else.  He brings in alot of bargains/free transfers in his career its hardly chequebook style.

???

I don't get it....

Harry's a wheeler dealer, always has been. Just now he's doing it on a bigger scale...

Exactly wheeler dealer, at West Ham barely had any resources except upcoming talent like Defoe, Lampard, Carrick, Ferdinand.  To call him chequebook manager, because he is in a position to sign players now is something else.  He brings in alot of bargains/free transfers in his career its hardly chequebook style.

your right, he spent very little at pompey.

oh wait......................

???

I don't get it....

Kanu, Campbell, James all bargains.  He has always had to sell to buy in most cases.  When was the last big name player he signed that was proven in the Premier League besides Defoe.  After all, a chequebook manager signs the top, top players who can cut it in the Premier League usually - aside Defoe?  Whooo?

Guest kingdawson

Ah so looking at the players we sell is a better method of assessing how good our finances are. Cheers for that.

No its not but I would not be getting a boner about net spend when you see which players you have sold & where you are in the league now.

Isnt that a totally different argument then?

Guest kingdawson

harry is a t***.

i'm really not that bothered mate.

a revolving door of players was more of what i was getting at, t doesnt do anyone any favours, and, without knowing the numbers, you must have one of the biggest turnover of players in the league.

and now harry is signing what wasnt deemed good enough as little as 6/7 months ago.

harry whinges every week about squad depth etc, and it shows him up, you have some real talent in your side, so his own personla shortcomings shouldnt be disguised by his weekly excuses.

surely its the coach's job to get the ebst out of what he has? not blame that it isnt good enough every week?

im sure the likes of fulham, wigan, west ham and hull who are above you, would do a straight swop of players with you.

as i said, got nowt against spurs, but harry is a knob, a self promoting useless bent one at that.

Actually i'm in the wrong this time. I read your previous post as implying that we should be somewhat worried about our finances, which i see now isn't what you meant, my apologies.

My point still stands though. Brummie saying that you can either be a "cheque book" manager or a good coach is nonsence.

Yes but you get my drift. As a football fan you would rather have them players than a corking balance sheet although I am sure Mr Lewis is very happy Spurs are self sufficient unlike some of his other business interests.

Guest kingdawson

???

I don't get it....

Kanu, Campbell, James all bargains.  He has always had to sell to buy in most cases.  When was the last big name player he signed that was proven in the Premier League besides Defoe.  After all, a chequebook manager signs the top, top players who can cut it in the Premier League usually - aside Defoe?  Whooo?

Good point.

Guest kingdawson

Yes but you get my drift. As a football fan you would rather have them players than a corking balance sheet although I am sure Mr Lewis is very happy Spurs are self sufficient unlike some of his other business interests.

Agreed. I got my wires crossed a bit here.

Guest geordienorway

We signed Mike Williamson from Wycombe earlier in the week, MOTM performance today.  :snod:

Is Priskin finally getting some goals in for you guys now?

Agreed. I got my wires crossed a bit here.

I think I may have started it :thup:

so you say he isnt?

he did well at pompey, with plenty of cash.

he couldnt lace the likes of o'neills boots man.

It's not as if O'Neill didn't splash the cash in the Summer.

Would they be pushing for a top four place if he didn't?

My point still stands though. Brummie saying that you can either be a "cheque book" manager or a good coach is nonsence.

I didn't say that.

I said what Spurs need now is someone who knows how to coach the best out of the players they've got (you've got some very good players), not someone who falls back on the chequebook.

And yes, MON did spend money in the summer, but he's also a good coach.

That's where I think Redknapp fails.