Other clubs' transfers

Dave

One thing that's struck me about Villa's transfer dealings under O'Neill is how frequently they seem to have overpaid at the time, even if the player does turn out to be worth it.

Young's almost a bargain now, but even teh Watford fan I knew was very surprised by the fee. Reo-Coker for £8.5m is far too much despite his attributes, and I was amazed Harewood raised £4m. Milner, although apparently having done well for you (only saw him against us, and he was turd on the last day) should never have cost £12m - he wanted out and had done nothing over the previous 12 months to justify anything like that. Even Sidwell looked a bit pricey at £5m considered he was surplus, Heskey for £4m with 6 months left on a contract (although more understandable). Curtis Davies for £10m? I was very surprised. Zat Knight for £4m was even more of a shock.

There's no doubting that MON has constructed a very good team, but I can't help but think that this tendancy to 'overspend' might hinder him when trying to construct a big enough squad.

Obviously I'm not saying that we've ever got bettervalue for money when buying players in recent history (as that would be ridiculous) and I'm sure I've got a few prices wrong, but they do look a little high to me. Just makes me wonder how far the Barry money will go (maybe irrelevant if Lerner is happy to prop up the club?)

His problem is he dithers in the transfer market, and his obssession with English players means we pay over the odds.

Knight for 4m i have no problem with, for a fourth choice CB at the time, he was as good as we were going to get. Sidwell for 5m and Shorey for the same, also about right. NRC for 8.5 was too much, and 12 for Milner was too much as well. The difference is, Milner has looked quality, so I'm not too arsed about us paying over the odds if the player performs.

Young for 9.65 at the time was called mental, but that looks an absolute bargain in retrospect.

Davies was the most overpriced of the lot.

Like I said, we need to drop this obsession with English players, they just cost far too much money.

Incidentaly, transfer market is easily MON's achilles heel, I don't want to give the impression from the above that I am stating otherwise, because I'm not

Young is the best example, just because he's well worth it now doesn't mean you weren't "ripped off" at the time. He's signed some cracking players, and built a very good team, but every £2-3m extra that goes on a player who you're overpaying for hinders the ability to spend it on expanding the squad. Tough balance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/03/gareth-barry-apology-villa-manchester-city

England midfielder Gareth Barry has written a formal apology to Aston Villa fans over his £12m move to Manchester City, saying he moved "to win major honours".

The apology, which will be published in full by the Birmingham Mail later on Wednesday, is being seen as an attempt to repair the damage he has done to his reputation by making the lucrative £100,000-a-week switch to a club that have failed to qualify for Europe next season.

In the apology, Barry writes: "Once I had spoken to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go. I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn-out saga.

"I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours. People might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term, and the backing the manager will receive from the owners, that we will be a major force."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Guest neesy111

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/03/gareth-barry-apology-villa-manchester-city

England midfielder Gareth Barry has written a formal apology to Aston Villa fans over his £12m move to Manchester City, saying he moved "to win major honours".

The apology, which will be published in full by the Birmingham Mail later on Wednesday, is being seen as an attempt to repair the damage he has done to his reputation by making the lucrative £100,000-a-week switch to a club that have failed to qualify for Europe next season.

In the apology, Barry writes: "Once I had spoken to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go. I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn-out saga.

"I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours. People might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term, and the backing the manager will receive from the owners, that we will be a major force."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

total bollocks, barry is a disgrace the way he's treated villa the last 12 months, 12 million is a good deal for them imo

Birmingham sign Christian Benitez for £6.25 Million.

The few times I've seen him on Sky he's been excellent, he looks like he'd suit the Premier League aswell.

What team did he come from? Not sure I'm familiar with him.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Guilty conscience eating away at him already.

Don't follow the reasoning with Young.

The manager thought he was worth 9.65m. He proved to be worth it in spades.

Haven't explained it very well. Yes, brilliant signing, make no mistake.

However everyone was amazed at how much he cost. I'm sure you could have got him for cheaper, regardless of whether or not he's proved to be worth it. That extra (say) £2m you could have saved could have left you with a bigger squad.

Actually, I barely understand what I'm talking about. I'm sure it made more sense when I first thought of it half an hour ago.

Guest Heneage

The few times I've seen him on Sky he's been excellent, he looks like he'd suit the Premier League aswell.

I know he plays in Mexico and I want to say with Santos Laguna an average Mexican side, he seems good but a poor finisher.

Here's Barry's full apology:

Gareth Barry has revealed that a fear of 'going stale' prompted his move to Manchester City.

In an open letter to Villa fans published in the Birmingham Evening Mail, Barry writes...

"After all the speculation over the last 12 months, I want the chance to explain my decision to the Villa fans.

Firstly I want to thank them for the incredible support I have received over the last 12 years, this football club has been a huge part of my life, I joined as a 16-year-old boy and now I am moving on as a 28-year-old man with a wife and two children.

A lot of things have changed in that time, players, management and a chairman - but every season bar none, whether we have been bottom half, mid table or challenging for Europe, the support myself and the team have received has been fantastic.

My one huge regret is that during my time at this club we have not brought the fans the success they deserve. I obviously have to take my share of responsibility that we have not been good enough to win trophies.

I feel the club is in the best position it has been in during my time here, I think we have a group of very good young players, we have a fantastic chairman who is here for the good of the club and one of the best managers in the game.

Obviously people will ask why I am leaving if I feel like that.

I have honestly been very undecided what to do, the manager and the whole club have bent over backwards to try and persuade me to stay and made me a fantastic offer which I am extremely grateful for.

But, after changing my mind lots of times, I came to the decision that the time was right for me and for the club to part company. I need a new challenge, I have a massive fear of going stale and falling into a comfort zone.

I believe the deal is a good one for the club, I am sure the manager will use the money well to strengthen the team and the club will go from strength to strength.

I am also excited now about my new challenge, a lot of people will question my decision to join Manchester City, but they were the club prepared to meet the valuation, which for a 28-year-old with a year left on his contract I think shows how much they wanted me.

Once I had spoke to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go, I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn out saga.

I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours. People might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term.

The backing the manager will receive from the owners tells me that we will be a major force.

Also the World Cup next year has always been a major part of my thinking. I feel at Manchester City I will get the chance to play regularly in my best position and play a big part in a successful side.

Time will tell if I am right or not, but those are my reasons.

I have grown bored of all the speculation surrounding me over the last 12 months and I am sure all the fans have as well, I am glad I never left last summer because I would have left under a huge cloud.

This year I feel things are different, I haven't used an agent. I have discussed things with my best friend (agent Michael Standing) but ultimately made my own choices.

I believe the situation has been handled properly by everybody involved. Once again I have to thank the manager and the club for that.

I genuinely wish the club all the best for the future and want to thank everyone who has helped and supported me in my time here.

For the rest of my life Aston Villa will be the first result I look for.

Thanks for everything.

Gareth Barry."

Brummie: I take your point re: Lescott and Arteta, but:

a) I doubt they'd want to go

b) We'd demand crazy money for them

c) If they did go, I think we'll survive, as we've shown we can this year with key players injured.

d) It'd give us a chance to buy a few quality players ourselves.

I don't think it'll happen anyway.

I know he plays in Mexico and I want to say with Santos Laguna an average Mexican side, he seems good but a poor finisher.

Yeah he plays for Santos Laguna. From what I've seen of him for Ecuador he's strong,powerful, quick, has all the right attributes to play in the Premier League, but his finishing can let him down. 10 goals in 17 games for Ecuador is nowt to be scoffed at mind.

Also he's mint on FM. :laugh:

Yeah he plays for Santos Laguna. From what I've seen of him for Ecuador he's strong,powerful, quick, has all the right attributes to play in the Premier League, but his finishing can let him down. 10 goals in 17 games for Ecuador is nowt to be scoffed at mind.

Also he's mint on FM. :laugh:

I must confess FM is how I recognise the lad's name  O0

Him and Martins  :thup:

Brummie: I take your point re: Lescott and Arteta, but:

a) I doubt they'd want to go

b) We'd demand crazy money for them

c) If they did go, I think we'll survive, as we've shown we can this year with key players injured.

d) It'd give us a chance to buy a few quality players ourselves.

I don't think it'll happen anyway.

They'd go if they got offered the stupid money Citeh will offer, and they'd pay the stupid money you'd want for them, as well, i reckon.

The City story has got an awful long way to roll yet. This will be a weird summer.

It's true but the £40m or so we'd get from them would be used very wisely IMO by Moyes. As I say, I don't think it'll happen anyway.

And yeah, will be a very bizarre summer, and maybe a few rather surprising transfers.

re the Barry letter:

"I’m desperate to play Champions League football and that’s why I have to leave Villa.

“I hope the Villa fans understand. I have given my all for the club for 10 years and I’m only leaving because now I need to test myself at the very highest level.

“And I can honestly say if Villa were in the Champions League I wouldn’t even consider leaving this great club.”

Gareth Barry,

Summer 2008

Some comments on today's letter:

I need a new challenge, I have a massive fear of going stale and falling into a comfort zone.

3 years ago, only Portsmouth wanted him, he's now an England regular. That's going stale for you, is it?

Also the World Cup next year has always been a major part of my thinking. I feel at Manchester City I will get the chance to play regularly in my best position

Yes, because we were going to play you in goal, weren't we.

Once I had spoke to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go

No, I bet there wasn't, he just slid the calculator over the table, you worked out 100k x 52 x 5 years and there wasn't much of a decision to make.

For the rest of my life Aston Villa will be the first result I look for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/boltthrow/gif/4Chan20080125004400.gif

Don't follow the reasoning with Young.

The manager thought he was worth 9.65m. He proved to be worth it in spades.

Haven't explained it very well. Yes, brilliant signing, make no mistake.

However everyone was amazed at how much he cost. I'm sure you could have got him for cheaper, regardless of whether or not he's proved to be worth it. That extra (say) £2m you could have saved could have left you with a bigger squad.

Actually, I barely understand what I'm talking about. I'm sure it made more sense when I first thought of it half an hour ago.

Actually, I kinda know what you meant, it was a very risky move at the time, which has worked out, but had it not, would have been another example of overspending. I know that you mean.

However, there are plenty other examples of actual, proper money wastage I can supply you with ;-) (Salifou, Routledge, Maloney, Harebrain, Cuellar, Davies, very possibly Sidwell)

Someone a bit more knowledgeable on Italian football: are Genoa quite heavily financed? They strike me as a relatively small club with big ambitions, they finished top 6 this year didnt they, nearly top 4?

Someone a bit more knowledgeable on Italian football: are Genoa quite heavily financed? They strike me as a relatively small club with big ambitions, they finished top 6 this year didnt they, nearly top 4?

They're a modestly wealthy club who've had a great season from what I can see, they finished 4th, so have greater financial clowt this season, and will also be able to attract the players from being in the Champions League.

The aren't a small club by any means, have a good history. Infact I think I'm right in saying they're the oldest club in Italy.

I honestly don't buy the "Barry is the anti christ" crap that seems to be going on here. He cost Villa nothing, he gave them 12 years service, they just made 12 million off his sale.

I don't care what he said last year about CL football, at the end of the day he's got the chance to secure his financial future, one last big pay day and join a club that has the financial muscle to compete with the big four. TBH I don't think he needs to apologies to anyone.