Results v "The Big 4"

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

A rather pitiful 1 point from 24 against the top 4 sides this term. I'm sure one of the Toon nerds will be able to find this out but when was the last time we went through a season without racking up a single win v Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool? We always seem, no matter how bad we've been, pick up a win per season. Last year, Roeder bagged 7 points IIRC.

where are the cretins who did the "can't judg us on the 1at..........no, second,........sorry third.........game" etc.

We aren't very good. simple as that. our players aren't good enough. its just the way things are for a relatively average sized club like us.

Guest rebel_yell12

Did anyone expect more than those 2 out of 24?  Honestly?  Damn, and here I was, relatively content that once the first went in, Newcastle didn't have a panic attack and let in 2 to 4 more (as v. Arsenal, ManUtd --twice -- and Liverpool).  Fact is, Keegan had a harsh run at the front of his re-arrival:  trying to play Allardyce's team in a "safe" system while he figured things out, against some of the toughest clubs (ManUtd, Liverpool, Villa).  Since the change in formation, he's lost one match, and that was to a team tied in points for the League title, and in the CL final.  Where's the shame in a loss to Chelsea?  It hurts a bit, being at home, but it's not a shock.  Or rather, it shouldn't be. 

This performance, while weak in the second half (coincidence that Smith was on instead of Viduka?) was still miles better than v. ManUtd, Liverpool, or Villa.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and the improvement was easily visible over a few months past.  One loss, and it's all despair again.  F***ing mental.  Welcome back, NorthernMonkey, et al, we've missed your cheery dispostion.

An extremely relevant point, re: the original post. Admittedly though the majority of those results occured during Allardyce's reign - ie. negative team mindset, playing for 0-0 draw - and Keegan's intial phase of transition where he pretty much had to teach this side how to play football again ie. width, playing it on the deck & using the football from the back, & movement off the ball courtesy of the outfielders/midfielders.

Today's result can be labelled as a good loss.

It shows how far we're behind the top echelon and at the endo of the day we were overpowered in the 2nd half, at home. This should eradicate any misconceptions that Keegan could deliver the current side into the European mix next season with minimal spending/upgrading the squad come Summer, a misconception that Ashley & Mort may have reached amidst the recent run of results while forgetting our overall record against the league's traditional & current big guns.

The result today was a welcome eye opener, despite the revival in form and the team's overall pattern of play under Keegan, and Mort & Ashley would be foolhardy to look the other way.

where are the cretins who did the "can't judg us on the 1at..........no, second,........sorry third.........game" etc.

We aren't very good. simple as that. our players aren't good enough. its just the way things are for a relatively average sized club like us.

So why are you always so angry about it?

So why are you always so angry about it?

Angry? I think he's more happy about it in a masochistic way. A loss against Chelsea is not exactly the end of the world but NM reacts with twisted glee so he can attack the optimists who did the "can't judg us on the 1at..........no, second,........sorry third.........game" etc..

Allardyce only managed 8 from 36 points then.  And he only had 3 of the 8 games against top 4 opposition.

I think It's more important what points he's picked up against the bottom half, ie our competitors.

Keegan = 16/24

Allardyce = 17/36

Guest alex

Almost a parody of a parody of yourself these days :lol:

Keegan has got us beating the shite we were losing to before he took over but to expect him to start beating the top teams with this group of players is insane. We have one of the worse midfields in the league.

You can't polish this turd any more than he has done. Now it's time for some quality additions to put us up there with Everton, Villa, Pompey and Blackburn.

How many points have Everton picked up against the top 4 teams? Not many if any I think yet they are about to finish 5th, that's kind of the point that Keegan was making when he said the league was in danger of becoming boring and it's right in Scotland they have the old firm and we have the big 4 (I hate that term by the way.

The biggest shame was under Sir Bobby for a couple of years we were on a par with Chelsea and Liverpool and well above Everton, Spurs and Villa et al.  I know Roman has effected things some what at Chelsea but it's the falling behind of Everton and the like that hurts me far more than a loss to Chelsea yesterday when you look at the 2 squads both in size (numerical and the fact Cheslea are full of big bastards) and quality.