Our Target Man Next Season?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

zigic has had a nightmare season for valencia, they cannot wait to get rid of him. combine that with their financial problems and he could be a bargain  :celb:

other suggestions: adriano, kris boyd, gyan asamoah, oscar cardozo. none of them have premiership experience though....

Get Adriano, honestly if we oculd just try and go for him, although i believe Inter won't let him go. Hes been immense in Brazil right now and as long as his confidence is intact and personal life doesnt screw him over again he'll be a hell of a buy! but then again im just dreaming i guess..

Guest Guinness

If we're looking at players proven in the Premiership I'd take Ashton or Crouch tbh, although I'd be a little sceptical of Ashton's injury record.

zigic has had a nightmare season for valencia, they cannot wait to get rid of him. combine that with their financial problems and he could be a bargain  :celb:

other suggestions: adriano, kris boyd, gyan asamoah, oscar cardozo. none of them have premiership experience though....

I wouldn't want to see us approach Adriano at all, the same goes for Asamoah who looked appalling during the African Cup of Nations.

Kris Boyd could be a good signing especially when you consider his goalscoring record for Rangers has primarily been from the bench. Oscar Cardozo is another interesting one. He's had a good season at Benfica, although I'm not sure if they would be prepared to sell him just yet as he is very promising and to attract a new manager they will need to hold on to as many of their exceptional players as possible.

Johan Elmander. Exceptionally good in the air, can finish well and his link-up play with other strikers is very intelligent.

Toulouse were 16th in the league when I last checked.

Johan Elmander. Exceptionally good in the air, can finish well and his link-up play with other strikers is very intelligent.

He's not "Exceptionally" good in the air, and it's not like he's intelligent in the same way as Kluivert, Bergkamp. He's a team player that runs alot, and has lots of movement and works hard for the team, and quite a good finisher.

He's not "Exceptionally" good in the air, and it's not like he's intelligent in the same way as Kluivert, Bergkamp. He's a team player that runs alot, and has lots of movement and works hard for the team, and quite a good finisher.

True, hard worker but isn't THAT good in the air..used to be really highley rated but for some reason didn't sign for a big club..

Guest Peter.Sthlm

True, hard worker but isn't THAT good in the air..used to be really highley rated but for some reason didn't sign for a big club..

I'd say he's a bit like Crouch. Given his length he's not more than decent in the air.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

I've seen games where he has won every challenge in the air, I'm talking about 9/10 challenges. Mind, I've never seen him play on an International level.

Well I'll be honest and admit I haven't seen him more then once when he's been playing for Toulouse. But he did play for my Swedish team during 02-03 where he played as a number nine role in a 4-3-3 formation. IMO he's more of a hard working and mobile type of forward who creates more for his team mates with his runs then a out-and-out strong, good in the air and goalscoring center forward as Shearer was. In our national team I'd say Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the target man and Johan is the mobile striker that rips teams apart with his running. Personally I think the second role fits him best since he's not good enough at holding the ball up and not dominant enough in the air. He should therefor not be considered as a replacement for Viduka.

He could well be worth a try but I'm not sure he's the right man to partner Martins and/or Owen if Keegan wants to go back to 4-4-2.

I can mention alot of realistic (worth a shot) players for most positions that would strengthen our team/squad. But a centre forward that is available and we might be able to get who can play in Vidukas role is alot more difficult. (if we want quality i mean)

Guest Hoop Blah

For the type of player you need to get the best out of Owen and/or Martins in a 4-4-2 I think Gudjohnsen would be great signing for you lot.  If he's anywhere near the same player as he was two years ago you'd be getting twice the player the work shy overweight Viduka is.

A cheaper alternative, which I'm sure you'll all have a chuckle over, is our own Dave Kitson.  When (I don't think I can even dare say IF anymore) we get relegated I'd imagine he'd be available and in a decent attacking side he'd score a lot more goals but his game is about a lot more than that.  He's big and good in the air, but he's much more a Sheringham/Viduka like forward than anything else and as much as it would pain me to see him leave, he possibly deserves a chance to prove his worth in the Premiership (he was injrued all last season and he was flying before our side fell apart around the turn of the year).

For the type of player you need to get the best out of Owen and/or Martins in a 4-4-2 I think Gudjohnsen would be great signing for you lot.  If he's anywhere near the same player as he was two years ago you'd be getting twice the player the work shy overweight Viduka is.

he`ll be 30 by the start of the season and  Owen has been playing extremely well in the role Gudjohnson (behind the strikers) I assume would play. If we could get him for peanuts then I`d take him but not for the reported 6m odd that has been bandied about in the last transfer window

Ibrahimovic or the Hernan Crespo for a year, stop gap until we break into Europe :snod:

Ibrahimovic is an utter donkey.

Crespo would be an awesome short term signing, but he'll never play for us after all the fuss he made about his family life in London.

Guest Jasper

What are people's thoughts on Fernando Cavenhagi (Bordeaux)?

For me, he has been the reason why Bordeaux are in with a shout of the French title (14 goals in 22 games).

He's matured since he was in Russia (he's 24) and is fulfilling some of that potential he showed when he was discovered in Argentina.

Whether he is available is another matter  :rolleyes: