4-4-2 or 4-3-3 next season?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me it would be madness to just abandon the formation that brought us such success last season - the only problem is that it depends very specifically on the strengths of our three strikers and if one of them is absent, it might fall apart.

Still a big downer on Guthrie going about, presumably because he didn't cost much. I think he deserves a go.

That's not to say I'd not welcome a better player coming in, like.

Bearing in mind that it is arguably the most important position in that formation, You would go into the season with Guthrie as first choice? If we don't buy better central midfielders i will kill myself, don't think i'm joking. :thup:

I definitely think we should keep the 4-3-3 though.

I said Butthrie, ie whoever proves the better option for the DM slot between Butt and Guthrie.

Butt's defensively perfect for the role, whereas Guthrie would appear to be the better passer of the ball. A hybrid of some sort would be ideal, but I'd be confident one of them could do the job anyway.

Butt's even worse, there's nothing perfect about him, i'd rather play Guthrie.

I'm not down on Guthrie, it's just that to give him such an important role would be a massive gamble. Should sign someone like Manuel Fernandes tbh.

For me it would be madness to just abandon the formation that brought us such success last season - the only problem is that it depends very specifically on the strengths of our three strikers and if one of them is absent, it might fall apart.

Fair point, the three of them do compliment each other very well.

An alternative to Viduka is essential, as we know he can't manage a full season. If Owen is out then I'm not sure we've anyone else capable of playing that role, maybe if we bring in someone capable of playing both the wide CM position and Owen's role in case Owen gets injured? Someone like Arda perhaps? Or we could revert to a 4-4-2 in Owen's absence.

Duff could actually be a potential back-up for Martins. Energetic player who can drift wide from the forward role? Or maybe it'd suit N'Zogbia.

Either way, I just think the system is so much better than reverting to a 4-4-2.

4-3-3 could still be so good for us. We were a top 8 team at the back end of last season - and i mean just look at how Geremi, Butt and Barton complimented each other in the first team - three pretty limited players. Replace that with Jonas, Guthrie and Barton and we're looking at a much improved team, providing they can gel too. It's a major improvement. Plus, we've improved a decent defense hugely with Coloccini aswell. Upfront is still a question mark (as is squad depth, obviously)... but we could go a long way with 4-3-3 next season.