Steve Harper

Tooj

Would be a better idea to cash in on Given now imo if you think we need a new 'keeper. I'm happy to stick with what we have though.

I'm happy, but if we got an offer for Given now it would be worth considering.

However the best of Given is yet to come, his peak is a couple of seasons away, but he does need focus on the areas he lacks in, if he does he'll be the best keeper in the league when he reaches that peak.

He's had enough GK coaches now though, it seems his faults are permanent.

You say that but if this season is anything to go by he's past his peak. I'm willing to see what he can do etc. when he's fully recovered but he's never looked the same since that clash with the ex-West Ham fella.

David James at his age having his best spell for me suggests there could be a lot more to come from Given. James has bigger faults than Given at his age, concentration crippling his credibility as a top keeper, he sorted it in the end.

I can see Robinson taking the same path as James and later in his career becoming a top keeper, i just hope Given does the same.

Its taking all this time for Harper to show he's good enough for a 1st team place.

Given's reflexes are slowing with age, he's not going to get any better

yeah, because he's 50 now..

wake the f*** up people, even Cech, Button and Cassillas have had s**** seasons.

some of you are very quick to write off 10 seasons of brilliant performances..

Cech hasn't had a s*** season

Cassillas is world class, is younger than Given and Button is a racing driver so I dont see how that matters

Cech has made bigger errors than Given this season, Casillas had some shocking games in the last couple of seasons - although he's been immaculate this term and Buffon has struggled with an injury for a while now..

bottom line is keepers' form is temporary, class is permanent..

btw, still think Duff is world class?

Steve Harper has been a damn good keeper since Shay has been out. He has kept us in games and even though he is slow he does actually talk to his defence more than Given. I used to sit in the front row of the Leazes and always thought Shay was too quiet with the back four. Steve Harper never has been. At least you can hear him shout at the defenders. Shay's confidence has been shot since the Harewood incident. Tim Krul should be brought through as our keeper asap tbh.

This is key. For cavalier-like shot-stoppers/blockers, and this is what Given brings to the table, who basically put their bodies on the line - and often they'll pull off an unconventional save in doing so, where they'll put themselves in a dangerous situation - confidence is everything.

If Given's unable regain the confidence you speak of, the answer is simple.................... phase him out, with Harper as the worthy replacement for now because on form it's his spot to lose, and infuse the team with fresh blood as a means rebuilding the position's depth within the 1st team squad, as opposed to placing a reliance on Given's fitness & health and more importantly his on-field state of mind .

Would be a better idea to cash in on Given now imo if you think we need a new 'keeper. I'm happy to stick with what we have though.

However the best of Given is yet to come, his peak is a couple of seasons away, but he does need focus on the areas he lacks in, if he does he'll be the best keeper in the league when he reaches that peak.

You say that but if this season is anything to go by he's past his peak. I'm willing to see what he can do etc. when he's fully recovered but he's never looked the same since that clash with the ex-West Ham fella.

David James at his age having his best spell for me suggests there could be a lot more to come from Given. James has bigger faults than Given at his age, concentration crippling his credibility as a top keeper, he sorted it in the end.

I can see Robinson taking the same path as James and later in his career becoming a top keeper, i just hope Given does the same.

Its taking all this time for Harper to show he's good enough for a 1st team place.

wake the f*** up people, even Cech, Button and Cassillas have had s**** seasons.

Cassillas is world class, is younger than Given and Button is a racing driver so I dont see how that matters

Cech has made bigger errors than Given this season, Casillas had some shocking games in the last couple of seasons - although he's been immaculate this term and Buffon has struggled with an injury for a while now..

No, and Given never was, whats your point?

my point is that your criteria (is this a word?) is f***** up

Steve Harper has been a damn good keeper since Shay has been out. He has kept us in games and even though he is slow he does actually talk to his defence more than Given. I used to sit in the front row of the Leazes and always thought Shay was too quiet with the back four. Steve Harper never has been. At least you can hear him shout at the defenders. Shay's confidence has been shot since the Harewood incident. Tim Krul should be brought through as our keeper asap tbh.

This is key. For cavalier-like shot-stoppers/blockers, and this is what Given brings to the table, who basically put their bodies on the line - and often they'll pull off an unconventional save in doing so, where they'll put themselves in a dangerous situation - confidence is everything.

If Given's unable regain the confidence you speak of, the answer is simple.................... phase him out, with Harper as the worthy replacement for now because on form it's his spot to lose, and infuse the team with fresh blood while rebuilding the position's depth accordingly, as opposed to placing a reliance on Given's fitness & health and more importantly his on-field state of mind .

you know, i'm not even sure i'd agree with that

Given's bravery has always been in doubt for me. 2 goals at Bolton in late 2004 anyone?

If Given's unable regain the confidence you speak of, the answer is simple.................... phase him out, with Harper as the worthy replacement for now because on form it's his spot to lose, and infuse the team with fresh blood while rebuilding the position's depth accordingly, as opposed to placing a reliance on Given's fitness & health and more importantly his on-field state of mind .

Given's bravery has always been in doubt for me. 2 goals at Bolton in late 2004 anyone?

load of bollocks.

my point is that your criteria (is this a word?) is f***** up

pal, Given's been either awful or unfit for the last 2 seasons, and his main attributes for me (agility, reflexes) are on the wain. He doesn't have massive physical presence (schmeichal, James) or leadership/organisation skills (Seaman, Schmeichal, Pagliuca) to fall back on

he's had it

load of bollocks.

rooted to his line, leaving the sweeping up to his (often hapless) defenders

given's bailed us out more times than i can remember over the past 10 years. hopefully his most recent surgery will have been successful enough to put his injury problems behind him becausehe hasn't been the same since that clash with harewood, fingers crossed he will be back stronger.  harper's done well since coming into the side though, and has earned the right to start with the shirt next season

Given's been amazing for this club but that doesn't (and shouldn't) make him untouchable.

On the evidence of this season, Harper is playing better. He should keep his place.