Steve Harper

Tooj

Guest nufc_geordie

I reckon we should cash in on Given this summer with the likes of Arsenal etc. on the lookout for a new keeper. Personally I have always felt and stated that I think there is little to choose between Given and Harper. With Krul, Forster and Soderling all on the books we have an abundance of talent and potential there. Why not make a few quid?

Guest Heneage

Always gonna be a backup.

why? what makes you say that?

Lacks the leadership skills to be a good keeper, very quiet, takes a donkeys bollock with kicks as well, Good goalie but prefer Given.

Lacks the leadership skills to be a good keeper, very quiet, takes a donkeys bollock with kicks as well, Good goalie but prefer Given.

Given has no leadership skills either, but Harper will at least come to catch crosses/corners and doesn't just punt the ball up field every time he gets it. Given's always been a fantastic shot stopper but falls short in the other areas.

Harper is an excellent backup keeper, average at everything, but excels at nothing so as a 1st teamer there are much better options out there, inc Given.

Glad he's had his moment of glory though, and is in the best form of his life; i wouldn't mind starting him next season and keeping Given out until Given sorts out his head, form and injuries.

Guest icemanblue

Nah get rid, been around too long, no ambition etc etc blah blah blah

For one who likes to comment on the irrelevant contributions of others; this should be beneath you, no?

worst post of the year

Given is the least communicative keeper in the prem, is a horrible organiser and his kicking is a disgrace. Harper is streets ahead in terms of talking to his defence

Guest shearer_united

I read about him being linked with a Liverpool move. Not sure how true is that. But if it is, i think he deserves a move out, he's been here too long and not much is gonna change for him if he stays. I would like him to leave knowing he might have a better time career-wise; being in a team where he would be the regular starting GK rather than a substitute (under Given).

I read about him being linked with a Liverpool move. Not sure how true is that. But if it is, i think he deserves a move out, he's been here too long and not much is gonna change for him if he stays. I would like him to leave knowing he might have a better time career-wise; being in a time where he would be the regular starting GK rather than a substitute (under Given).

You think he'd move to Liverpool as a 1st teamer?

Guest shearer_united

I read about him being linked with a Liverpool move. Not sure how true is that. But if it is, i think he deserves a move out, he's been here too long and not much is gonna change for him if he stays. I would like him to leave knowing he might have a better time career-wise; being in a time where he would be the regular starting GK rather than a substitute (under Given).

I dont think he would be a liverpool first-teamer, but he probably would in some other team.

I dont think he would be a liverpool first-teamer, but he probably would in some other team.

So just a general move out of the club? Aye, i would have agreed before the start of the season but he's pretty much too important to let go with Given out of sorts.

Can see Given getting the huff before regaining his former self tbh, Harper could be 1st teamer here by merit rather than default if things don't change.

Guest shearer_united

So just a general move out of the club? Aye, i would have agreed before the start of the season but he's pretty much too important to let go with Given out of sorts.

Can see Given getting the huff before regaining his former self tbh, Harper could be 1st teamer here by merit rather than default if things don't change.

I agree now is a critical time, a bad move to get rid now.

However, Though in a few years time i would like to see Harper in some other team, And Shay Given used as a substitute GK with a New GK taking his place.

I hope Tim Krul becomes a top-class goalkeeper in our squad in a few years.

Does anyone know how he's doing in the club he's on loan at ?

Guest alex

Would be a better idea to cash in on Given now imo if you think we need a new 'keeper. I'm happy to stick with what we have though.

I agree now is a critical time, a bad move to get rid now.

However, Though in a few years time i would like to see Harper in some other team, And Shay Given used as a substitute GK with a New GK taking his place.

I hope Tim Krul becomes a top-class goalkeeper in our squad in a few years.

Does anyone know how he's doing in the club he's on loan at ?

He broke his arm (or dislocated his shoulder) in Jan and came back.

His spell there though the fans reckoned he was canny and kept some scores down, but basically their back 4 were shocking and it was target practise for him.

Stop acting like you've just received a quick blow to the stomach when you take a goal kick ffs.

not the only keeper who's kicking could be better, but he's been playing really well and for me deserves to keep hold of the shirt.

Would be a better idea to cash in on Given now imo if you think we need a new 'keeper. I'm happy to stick with what we have though.

I'm happy, but if we got an offer for Given now it would be worth considering.

However the best of Given is yet to come, his peak is a couple of seasons away, but he does need focus on the areas he lacks in, if he does he'll be the best keeper in the league when he reaches that peak.

He's had enough GK coaches now though, it seems his faults are permanent.