Three Quarters of you wanted Roeder....

Guest Phil K

The cup runs involved a lot of luck in the draw, in fact in one of them we did not meet  a quality side until the semis.

I remember thinking that we'd had such an ugly ride to Wembley under Dalglish (I still curse under my breath whenever the train goes through Stevenage) that I'd be almost ashamed if we'd won the cup.

There is a reasonable chance that a takeover would result in a decent Manager being appointed, its always a risk we know that but we are going, and will continue to go, no where fast with the current set up.

Of course there are some on here who will defend Shepherd to the ends, these are the ones who disappear when there is another defeat. He has made money available admittedly, more often than not it has not been used wisely by his appointed men. 

The most damaging fact is Shepherd has appointed 4 unsuccessful Managers out of 5. You cant get away from that, the last two in particular being laughable. No amount of sarcasm or talking down to people can change that. :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking:

I haven't disappeared from supporting this club for 42 years John, no matter where I've lived, which has been all over the UK, I've travelled and I've been there.

Even when we were shit.

Did you forecast that a manager with 4 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards would "fail", and his successor who won the FA Cup and left his club in the top 3 in the league would also "fail" ? What standards do you set if you consider these to be bad appointments ?

During my time supporting the club, I also waited 22 years to reach a Cup Final. We got there twice in succession with the 2 men you say "failed". Just thought I'd point it out like.

I have already answered this a while back. The cup runs involved a lot of luck in the draw, in fact in one of them we did not meet  a quality side until the semis.

In case you forgot in both cases we then proceeded to give an embarrassing cup final performance. just did not turn up on the day.

The overall assessment of success for a supposed big club is the League title. The last time we achieved this was in the 1920's.

Its not a case of forecasting who would fail. The fact is 4 out of the last 5 Managers have failed and two have been sacked and one walked out.

The current appointment is a joke IMO, as was the previous one.

bluelaugh.gif

But but but, how can that be? Apparently doing well in Europe is the measure these days......

Anyway, good to know that if we win the FA Cup with Roeder as manager and Fred as Chairman you'll still consider the club to have failed.  :roll: This despite the fact you rate O'Neill so highly even though all he's won is the League Cup. After all, he's done diddly squat in the English league. No doubt he didn't have the "luck of the draw" though, so in his case winning the least difficult trophy counts in your eyes. Good example of double standards there and taking any opportunity to slate the club. bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

I agree the league is the true measure, I've always said that, but the FA Cup is a good competition to win and I don't really think it's been possible for a totally shite team to win it for the last 10 years, during which time only 4 clubs have won it. Doing well in the FA Cup is still a reasonable measure to make, unlike the League Cup. Which could of course see Leicester play Tranmere in the final.  bluebiggrin.gif

I don't think I've read a single post from you that is in praise of the club, and I'm going back probably 6 or 7 years of reading stuff you post.  In that time we've had a decent team, finishing 4th, 3rd and 5th and yet you still complained. You've claimed Keegan was a crap manager because we finished 2nd behind a team that won 14 of it's last 16 matches, drawing the other two, a fact you ignore in favour of "Newcastle bashing". You have to be the biggest whinger known to mankind.

There is a reasonable chance that a takeover would result in a decent Manager being appointed, its always a risk we know that but we are going, and will continue to go, no where fast with the current set up.

Of course there are some on here who will defend Shepherd to the ends, these are the ones who disappear when there is another defeat. He has made money available admittedly, more often than not it has not been used wisely by his appointed men. 

The most damaging fact is Shepherd has appointed 4 unsuccessful Managers out of 5. You cant get away from that, the last two in particular being laughable. No amount of sarcasm or talking down to people can change that. :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking:

I haven't disappeared from supporting this club for 42 years John, no matter where I've lived, which has been all over the UK, I've travelled and I've been there.

Even when we were shit.

Did you forecast that a manager with 4 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards would "fail", and his successor who won the FA Cup and left his club in the top 3 in the league would also "fail" ? What standards do you set if you consider these to be bad appointments ?

During my time supporting the club, I also waited 22 years to reach a Cup Final. We got there twice in succession with the 2 men you say "failed". Just thought I'd point it out like.

I have already answered this a while back. The cup runs involved a lot of luck in the draw, in fact in one of them we did not meet  a quality side until the semis.

In case you forgot in both cases we then proceeded to give an embarrassing cup final performance. just did not turn up on the day.

The overall assessment of success for a supposed big club is the League title. The last time we achieved this was in the 1920's.

Its not a case of forecasting who would fail. The fact is 4 out of the last 5 Managers have failed and two have been sacked and one walked out.

I also answered you. I gave you a list of a whole load of easy sides who beat us in those 22 years, if they were so easy, please explain how it took us 22 years to beat them and get to a Final again.

I am unlike to forget the performances, as I was there, on every occasion.

Lastly, I am asking you your criteria for selecting managers, as you appear to be saying that you knew Dalglish and Gullit weren't good enough and would have chosen other people. Serious and reasonable question.

As for Bobby Robson, one minute he is successful and one he isn't with you. Which is it ?

Even when we were shit.

bluelaugh.gif

But but but, how can that be? Apparently doing well in Europe is the measure these days......

Anyway, good to know that if we win the FA Cup with Roeder as manager and Fred as Chairman you'll still consider the club to have failed.  :roll: This despite the fact you rate O'Neill so highly even though all he's won is the League Cup. After all, he's done diddly squat in the English league. No doubt he didn't have the "luck of the draw" though, so in his case winning the least difficult trophy counts in your eyes. Good example of double standards there and taking any opportunity to slate the club. bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

I agree the league is the true measure, I've always said that, but the FA Cup is a good competition to win and I don't really think it's been possible for a totally shite team to win it for the last 10 years, during which time only 4 clubs have won it. Doing well in the FA Cup is still a reasonable measure to make, unlike the League Cup. Which could of course see Leicester play Tranmere in the final.  bluebiggrin.gif

I don't think I've read a single post from you that is in praise of the club, and I'm going back probably 6 or 7 years of reading stuff you post.  In that time we've had a decent team, finishing 4th, 3rd and 5th and yet you still complained. You've claimed Keegan was a crap manager because we finished 2nd behind a team that won 14 of it's last 16 matches, drawing the other two, a fact you ignore in favour of "Newcastle bashing". You have to be the biggest whinger known to mankind.

We also beat Tranmere in the 5th round on the way to the 1998 Final, which according to John is easy opposition, unless its Martin O'Neill beating them in the Final and its a top class achievement. Double standards indeed.

All them dossiers we printed. I feel like a right **** now. I wish i'd never quit my job for the campaign.

Keep telling yourself it didnt happen, and all you convince is yourselves. Most have more than zero short term memories like yourself and a few on here.

Three quarters ? Well, to be honest (something a lot of you seem to have MAJOR problems with) I've failed to find the proof of what was mentioned after the 4-1 win against the makems, but regardless - there damn well WAS a large groundswell of opinion for Glenn - undoubtably the very same people who are trying to claim otherwise now....."not me, guv".....

Guest Gemmill

All them dossiers we printed. I feel like a right **** now. I wish i'd never quit my job for the campaign.

Keep telling yourself it didnt happen, and all you convince is yourselves. Most have more than zero short term memories like yourself and a few on here.

Three quarters ? Well, to be honest (something a lot of you seem to have MAJOR problems with) I've failed to find the proof of what was mentioned after the 4-1 win against the makems, but regardless - there damn well WAS a large groundswell of opinion for Glenn - undoubtably the very same people who are trying to claim otherwise now....."not me, guv".....

What point are you trying to prove exactly? 

What point are you trying to prove exactly? 

Daft question, Gemmill. You know what he's on about. It's the same point as those who supported Souness but who now claim they never did. The forget how they were clamouring for Fred to be a good Chairman by giving Souness a proper chance by backing him with the money to build his own team before judging him, when others could already see Souness was shit. They now slag Fred for doing what they wanted, denying they ever wanted it in the first place. Fred has his faults and isn't perfect but you couldn't make this kind of shit up.

Guest The Fox

Is there no end to the nonsense coming from NE5 and Fred's great supporter HTL.

The fact is we are not going to win anything under Shepherd and Roeder or Shepherd and anyone.

The record under Shepherd speaks for itself 2nd to 16th. Marvellous.

Keep dreaming guys and keep us amused. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Negative, negative, negative. Replace FS with who? Replace Roeder with who?  Reading between the lines no one has wanted us, no one with supposed ability, since SBR.

Compare our performances in the PL with the other teams who were in from day one - we are still there. Thats a positive.

We are in Europe, again, thats a positive, pity only 25 000 think so.

We have 3/4 of a great stadium - thats a positive.

Like NE5, Ive followed this club for a VERY long time and there are MANY current positives.

There are of course a lot of problems. Yes a new manager may sove many, a new Board may solve others - don't count on it. We have had worse.

Just as a matter of interest, a long time ago so its irrelevant. In fact in the years 1950 to 1955 we had a great team, a really great tem. We won the FA Cup 3 times - couldn't win the league. But we did have a very good manager. We played Arsenal in the league just before the final - lost 7-1 I think. Beat Arsenal 1-0 in the Cup Final and were fined 13 000 pounds for fielding a reserve team. We kept the cup.

Management has of course changed enourmously fro the day of Joe Harvey threatening physical violence to his own players. These days the managers are overqualified and the players overpaid and underworked.

Thik of the board as your prospective employer. You are well qualified, have good references, get the job with decent terms. Three months later you are sacked. Is it your fault or did you fail to organize, motivate, achieve with your team. In other words did they want to work for you? We have had a few managers in recent years who the players did not want to work for. Who'se fault? Answers on a post card to FS.

I love being patronised by fans from 12,000 miles away like. Have a word with yourself. You're defending the indefensible tbh. Most right-minded Toon fans are praying the takeover goes through being so sick of the bloke in charge that they are willing to risk the unknown.

The fact is we are not going to win anything under Shepherd and Roeder or Shepherd and anyone.

Keep dreaming guys and keep us amused. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

:roll:

I support the club, sunshine. You could learn something from that.

I love being patronised by fans from 12,000 miles away like. Have a word with yourself. You're defending the indefensible tbh. Most right-minded Toon fans are praying the takeover goes through being so sick of the bloke in charge that they are willing to risk the unknown.

How ironic that you should play the card you supposedly detest.

Someone 12,000 away who can't go to matches could easily be more interested than someone in Southampton, who COULD go but chooses not to, and moans even when we're consistently in the top 5, like John. Wouldn't you agree, Alex?

Actually no irony there. Anyone can comment on games they've watched on TV rather than attended. Commenting on attendance from the other side of the world is a different matter. Nice try though soldier.

Most right minded toon fans would like to have a better board without a doubt, but deluded ones say what you say above, despite being told the huge risks involved, based on looking at our own past, and many current clubs at the moment if you look around, that will be watching us with envy when we play in europe - again - next week. 

Are you still thinking of your criteria to appoint managers John, as I asked you, as you think Dalglish wasn't good enough or qualifed enough ? Take your time.

Most right minded toon fans would like to have a better board without a doubt, but deluded ones say what you say above, despite being told the huge risks involved, based on looking at our own past, and many current clubs at the moment if you look around, that will be watching us with envy when we play in europe - again - next week. 

Any thoughts on the excerpt from SBR's biography in the other thread?

Actually no irony there. Anyone can comment on games they've watched on TV rather than attended. Commenting on attendance from the other side of the world is a different matter. Nice try though soldier.

Err no, not really. No need to mention the bit in bold, tbh. Don't expect you to admit it though, sponger.

Err no, not really. No need to mention the bit in bold, tbh. Don't expect you to admit it though, sponger.

Sponger? Wrong again.  :lol:

later later....haven;t seen it yet ....... I don't sit at work doing nowt like you .... as you say though its another thread, why not carry on with this one ?

later later....haven;t seen it yet ....... I don't sit at work doing nowt like you .... as you say though its another thread, why not carry on with this one ?

I'll take that as a no.

A biography is by definition a one-sided thing, is it not, sponger?

If you were going to matches :) (if you can do it, so can I) during the seasons when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th you should have noticed that from the latter stages of the season we finished 3rd the performances were dropping.  During the season we finished 5th there were posts week after week from people moaning about the player underperforming, you've probably forgotten of course. Anyway, the performances were on the slide for about 18 months before Robson finally went. He should have gone earlier but Fred made a mistake there. Moving him on turned sour because the replacement was the wrong man, but moving him on per se needed to be done. There were problems off the field and most of us should at least agree with that, Robson had lost the players, or it looked like it on the pitch. Don't forget that Liverpool got rid of Hoolia from a strong position of winning 5 trophies because they wanted to do more in the league. I think that's what Fred wanted, the intent was correct, but the appointment of Souness was terrible and we're paying for it still.

Don't expect you to agree, sponger.

Sponger? Wrong again.  :lol:

Soldier? Wrong every time.

If you were going to matches :) (if you can do it, so can I) during the seasons when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th you should have noticed that from the latter stages of the season we finished 3rd the performances were dropping.  During the season we finished 5th there were posts week after week from people moaning about the player underperforming, you've probably forgotten of course. Anyway, the performances were on the slide for about 18 months before Robson finally went. He should have gone earlier but Fred made a mistake there. Moving him on turned sour because the replacement was the wrong man, but moving him on per se needed to be done. There were problems off the field and most of us should at least agree with that, Robson had lost the players, or it looked like it on the pitch. Don't forget that Liverpool got rid of Hoolia from a strong position of winning 5 trophies because they wanted to do more in the league. I think that's what Fred wanted, the intent was correct, but the appointment of Souness was terrible and we're paying for it still.

I'd agree with most of that but I tend to believe what Robson said too (haven't heard Shepherd refute those claims either). Neither what you say or what Robson says show Shepherd and the way he runs the club in a particularly good light though. To put it mildly.

I'd agree with most of that but I tend to believe what Robson said too (haven't heard Shepherd refute those claims either). Neither what you say or what Robson says show Shepherd and the way he runs the club in a particularly good light though. To put it mildly.

Never said he does, as I have no idea because I'm not a club insider like you seem to be and most others on this forum must be too. ;)

What I've said is Fred backs managers with cash to build their team which is what he should do. Then the manager is judged by the performance of the players in relation to amount he's spend. The fact is, Robson did spend millions even taking into account what came back from sales. If the manager fails to deliver the goods then it's the duty of the Board to get a new one in. Obviously, 4th, 3rd and 5th wasn't good enough for the new found ambition of the club that started in 1992, which I'm glad to see.

How a manager is actually removed from a job is often moaned about by departing managers. It's not difficult to work out why.

I agree - you have to remember, though, that Kiwis put up with being piddled about ; their Govt is a disaster, and to show how effective they are, ask him how many Kiwis leave for Australia !!?? They have more job opportunities and pay less Tax. After their Budget speech last year(which gave them NO Tax relief), the Oppostion Treasurer stood up & said 'The PM & Treasurer think there's a place for Tax cuts -

its called Australia..!!' Priceless, and even more of their youngsters are either heading here to Oz or to the UK.

So don't be surprised that he puts up with the Shepherd regime at NUFC`- its just like home....!!