The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is purely based on what I saw tonight so please go easy but he didn't seem all that creative in the passing sense. Now I don't know if this was down to him playing a specific role in the side or what not but to me at least he looked like a goal-scoring midfielder who runs off the striker and takes on players in possession. If this is the case then surely this guy isn't really what we're looking for; yes he's clearly class but we have Owen currently playing in this sort of position and I'm unsure as to whether he's the creative passing type we need in a 3-man midfield.

why do we have to have a 3-man midfield ?

i think the comparison with beardsley so far is the closest

This is purely based on what I saw tonight so please go easy but he didn't seem all that creative in the passing sense. Now I don't know if this was down to him playing a specific role in the side or what not but to me at least he looked like a goal-scoring midfielder who runs off the striker and takes on players in possession. If this is the case then surely this guy isn't really what we're looking for; yes he's clearly class but we have Owen currently playing in this sort of position and I'm unsure as to whether he's the creative passing type we need in a 3-man midfield.

why do we have to have a 3-man midfield ?

i think the comparison with beardsley so far is the closest

Was assuming we'd stick with 4-3-3 next season I guess.

He'd chase if he had an opportunity, but other times he was fairly static, especially in the first half. Would get away with it as a striker, but I'm not sure that he'd be a striker in the Premier League unless a team produces a tactical workaround.

Laziness worked in his favour though tonight. There were times he should have used that quick burst of his to join play around the penalty area when other players got wide, but he remained 35 yards out pretty stationary. However, by not busting his gut at those moments, he was able to do so with great effect during extra time when he got a sniff of glory.

I think I watched a different game to you, he was all over from what I could see.

Perhaps you were mostly watching the game as in mostly focusing on what was going on around the ball? Being the sad superfan that I am, I was mostly watching Arshavin both off and on the ball.

if you were his manager,basiung your game plan around his use of the ball would you be telling him to work more off the ball so he wouldn't have the legs to make those runs when he had it.

Fair play to Hiddink if he advised Arshavin not to overexert himself until after the hour mark, but we have to remember that it will be 90 minutes rather than 120 minutes in the average game.

He'd chase if he had an opportunity, but other times he was fairly static, especially in the first half. Would get away with it as a striker, but I'm not sure that he'd be a striker in the Premier League unless a team produces a tactical workaround.

Laziness worked in his favour though tonight. There were times he should have used that quick burst of his to join play around the penalty area when other players got wide, but he remained 35 yards out pretty stationary. However, by not busting his gut at those moments, he was able to do so with great effect during extra time when he got a sniff of glory.

I think I watched a different game to you, he was all over from what I could see.

Perhaps you were mostly watching the game as in mostly focusing on what was going on around the ball? Being the sad superfan that I am, I was mostly watching Arshavin both off and on the ball.

if you were his manager,basiung your game plan around his use of the ball would you be telling him to work more off the ball so he wouldn't have the legs to make those runs when he had it.

Fair play to Hiddink if he advised Arshavin not to overexert himself until after the hour mark, but we have to remember that it will be 90 minutes rather than 120 minutes in the average game.

henry and begkamps workrate was s**** then ? (or martins)

Played some excellent passes into the wide areas, but whereas Modric would continue to move forwards to get the ball back afterwards, Arshavin seemed  content to let his team mates do the running.

Exhibits a and b are good examples of a team being built around an individual attacking player, something I can't see a Top Four side be willing to do at the present. The other quite rightly does not play for a top four club and is the perfect example of a talented but damaged player.

Lazy and in need of a team to be built around him.

Spending his whole career in an inferior league, I suspect he has been able to get by on attacking talent alone. In an earlier post, a team mate accused him of this, and from what I've seen, I would have to agree.

If I was a fan of a top 4 team, I would want him as a substitute or cameo player. Anything else would be unsettling the balance of the team.

As a Newcastle fan, i would want to have him as the focal point of our team.

It's all well and good trying not to get carried away, but I honestly think you're talking s*** James.

Exhibits a and b are good examples of a team being built around an individual attacking player, something I can't see a Top Four side be willing to do at the present. The other quite rightly does not play for a top four club and is the perfect example of a talented but damaged player.

it's got nothing to do with a top 4 club or not it;s tactics in relation to particular players,top 4 bottom 4 whichever.

:lol:

I hope you're taking the piss.

Guest BigAl2

Arshavin!!!!! If I was sir Alex I would sell Ronaldo and buy Arshavin in a heart beat millions up and no real loss of ability to the team.

Arshavin!!!!! If I was sir Alex I would sell Ronaldo and buy Arshavin in a heart beat millions up and no real loss of ability to the team.

when was the last time man utd bought an outfield player that age ?

Hargreaves.

Hargreaves.

26 when they bought him wasn't he ? arshavin is 27.

(i sense a lot of quick googling and wiki-ing)

Hargreaves.

bluelaugh.gif

and when was the last time the clubs that buy "trophy players" that win the trophies have a debt that only a shit board has to service ?

Answer = they all have.

Still, I'm sure that supporting a club that reports a profit every year will fill the ground with supporters and will enable us all to wear our shirts with pride rather than be laughed at for playing in the San Siro and other major european grounds

Hargreaves.

bluelaugh.gif

and when was the last time the clubs that buy "trophy players" that win the trophies have a debt that only a s*** board has to service ?

Answer = they all have.

Still, I'm sure that supporting a club that reports a profit every year will fill the ground with supporters and will enable us all to wear our shirts with pride rather than be laughed at for playing in the San Siro and other major european grounds

again......why can they service larger debt than us ? the same rerason some can afford larger mortgages (debt) than others....income !

How much money did manure lose on Veron BTW............and numerous players before Sir Alex Ferguson was manager,  because it was obviously the boards fault  bluelaugh.gif

How much money did manure lose on Veron BTW............and numerous players before Sir Alex Ferguson was manager,  because it was obviously the boards fault  bluelaugh.gif

every club loses money on some players....compare their turnover and profits to ours.

Hargreaves.

bluelaugh.gif

and when was the last time the clubs that buy "trophy players" that win the trophies have a debt that only a s*** board has to service ?

Answer = they all have.

again......why can they service larger debt than us ? the same rerason some can afford larger mortgages (debt) than others....income !

1.5bn quid between them proves that having a debt doesn't stop you winning trophies or you are a badly run club. End of story.

And thats before Liverpool begin to finance the building of a new stadium, I mean , I'm sure they should look at us and see us as the role model as to how it should be done and learn from our mistakes

bluelaugh.gif