Peter Taylor named Wycombe manager

Optimistic Nut

Guest nufc_geordie

Has a fantastic record dealing with young players and his record with the under 21's was excellent. As a replacement for Steve Round (who I personally would want to keep and bring Taylor in alongside) I would be happy with. Seems to fit in with the new regime's thinking of getting younger players in and developing them.

Guest gggg

I suppose but he had a talented bunch of players to work with there, other than that he's been a complete failure.

Guest teepee

would be great as a youth coach i think - help bring the kids signed by wise through to the first team

Guest nufc_geordie

I suppose but he had a talented bunch of players to work with there, other than that he's been a complete failure.

To me this from Wikipedia:

In November 2002 Taylor was appointed manager of Hull City who were weeks away from their move to the 25,404-seat KC Stadium. A mid-table finish was followed in 2003–04 by promotion as Division Three runners-up. They finished League One runners-up the following season, 2004–05, and thus reached the Football League Championship in the 2005–06 season – their first appearance at that level since 1990–91, and they finished 18th in the league.

would suggest that they guy is not a complete failure. He was responsible for making Beckham England captain and introducing some of the youth to the England team at the time as well.

Compare the current set up to 2 years ago when the coaching staff consisted of Roeder, Clark and McDermott. Keegan, Hughton, Round, McDermott....isn't Cox leaving this summer as well? Could well be that Taylor is his replacement rather than Round's.

Guest nufc_geordie

Compare the current set up to 2 years ago when the coaching staff consisted of Roeder, Clark and McDermott. Keegan, Hughton, Round, McDermott....isn't Cox leaving this summer as well? Could well be that Taylor is his replacement rather than Round's.

Fair point, it is a hell of an improvement though. It almost appears as though Keegan is the motivational aspect of that and he is surrounding himself with more technical people. A sign that he recognises the importance of tactics these days instead of his previous almost gung-ho approach?

I'm happier with the likes of Round, Hughton & Taylor on the books, respected and experienced coaches, than I would have been if Keegan had just brought in the "jobs for the boys" like some people on here were hoping for with the likes of Shearer.

I think he is a decent coach and would be a good addition to the coaching staff, the only negative for me, didn't he sign Trevor Benjamin? lol

Another ex-Spurs!

The club is being ran from London etc

They've outsourced NUFC!!!!!

:laugh:

May as well like, everyone else seems to be doing it now.

People even outsource the outsource work these days.  :idiot2:

At under 21 level and managing in the lower leagues he was fantastic but when he went to Leicester his naivety and lack of experience

in the transfer market let him down. I think he's still statistically the best manager England have had at U21 level.

Great move if true.  His record at Leicester doesn't matter to me as it just proves he's more of a coach than a manager which is what the U21's and lower league football is mostly about.  Getting the best out of what you've got.

I think he is a decent coach and would be a good addition to the coaching staff, the only negative for me, didn't he sign Trevor Benjamin? lol

and £5.5m Ade Akinbiyi and Junior Lewis(the worst player I have seen play PL football) for all but 1 of the teams he's managed and to cap it off he has a fucking horrendous voice.

Taylor is set for a role at United

May 15 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FORMER England manager Peter Taylor is being lined up for a coaching position with Newcastle United.

The four-times capped former Spurs winger met United director of football Dennis Wise in a hotel in Waltham Abbey yesterday.

And while there was no word from St James’s Park today, it is expected that Taylor whose, last job was manager of Stevenage, will be heading to the North East.

There is talk that it could be a director of the Academy, a position currently held by former Barnsley full-back and Consett-born Joe Joyce.

On the coaching front, Steve Round, who like Taylor has been with England, sees his contract expire at the end of next month, and he has not heard from United’s top brass whether is going to be renewed or not.

The Southend-born Taylor has a wealth of football experience, and when Kevin Keegan resigned the England job in 2000, he was the one the FA turned to in a caretaker capacity for one match against Italy.

But Taylor is perhaps best known for his two spells as the England Under-21 manager, when he brought several young players through.

Meanwhile, Keegan himself is still around, even though his players have dispersed either to represent their countries of chasing the sun.

And Keegan will represent his country again tonight when he makes a cameo appearance for the England legends against Scotland at Southampton in a game in memory of Alan Ball.