Is there any way back for Damien Duff?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The way Pinenar outdid him both defensively and attacking against Everton was almost embarrassing. I hope he does come good, I just think with that spark of pace gone and the fact he is essentially one footed I don't think his prospects look good. Would love him to turn to Kev and say "I want a new contract, pay me a performance related deal and I'll give it my all."

Just think for the 60k a week or whatever he's on, he's just not worth it. Can't believe it though, when we signed him thought we had an absolute bargain. Injuries really have taken their toll. Probably has pre-season to prove something else he won't last past January.

I still think he has a part to play here, but won't shed any tears if somebody comes in for him. Like others have pointed out, the wages are a major issue.

I'm just worried that we're getting to that stage again where there could be loads of outgoings and we might struggle to replace them all.

Potentially: Carr, Ramage, Diatta, Ameobi, Emre, Smith and Duff could all be away by next season.

I know none of them have really offered a great deal this season, but they'll still need replacing.

Saying that, if we did get shot of them and replaced them with 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 attackers of higher quality, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

Surprised anyone sees any potential left in him in all honesty. Junkhead is spot on imo.

In fairness, a lot of people had written Michael Owen off before his recent run of form, and the likes of Butt, Barton and Geremi were being called worse than shite by some as well. Now, I realise Geremi and Barton haven't become world-beaters or anything, but the improvement under KK has been remarkable. I'd just like to see the likes of Duff - and Milner to an extent - given the same chance that those players have, and if they don't do it, then ship them out. I suppose KK will know already whether he wants to keep them or not, like.

I just don't think players turn to shite, to be honest, I think he has enough class about him to be able to be effective again, but it's going to take a lot of hard work. Like Shak has said, it wasn't so much pace he relied on as his ability to "jink", for want of a better word. I think he still knows how to beat a man but a potential combination of a lack of confidence and a lack of playing time has seen him lose his spark. I think players have come back from being worse than him, honestly, and he's not a player I have anything personal against. Seems a good pro, seems to give a toss, and like Owen before him has put the graft in to get fit again after a horrendous injury.

I just don't like writing players off 100% when none of us really know what the overall craic is with them, bar what we see on the pitch.

Guest justin99.

Players like Duff, Smith and Emre will stay the full length of their contracts as they know no other club in the world will offer wages close to what their on now.

The difference is that with those other players, you knew the quality (of whatever degree) was there somewhere.

Duff has been absolutely rubbish for us since he came here. Never has he looked like a good player.

The difference is that with those other players, you knew the quality (of whatever degree) was there somewhere.

Duff has been absolutely rubbish for us since he came here. Never has he looked like a good player.

Maybe for three of them, but to me Geremi had looked absolutely abysmal until recently, and I do understand he hasn't exactly been pulling up trees in open play but he's been an important part of the recent good that we've seen.

I dunno, just trying to explore it from the alternative POV to "he's crap, get him out" which seems to be the easy answer these days when it comes to our players.

I still think he has a part to play here, but won't shed any tears if somebody comes in for him. Like others have pointed out, the wages are a major issue.

I'm just worried that we're getting to that stage again where there could be loads of outgoings and we might struggle to replace them all.

Potentially: Carr, Ramage, Diatta, Ameobi, Emre, Smith and Duff could all be away by next season.

I know none of them have really offered a great deal this season, but they'll still need replacing.

Saying that, if we did get shot of them and replaced them with 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 attackers of higher quality, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is (another) big clear out in the Summer tbh, even if Keegan has said he doesn't want to lose anyone.

The likes of Ameobi, Ramage and Diatta were just in the way of kids coming through the academy anyway, Emre I like but he's always injured so he needs to be replaced, Smith and Duff are useless, Milner should be sold if we get a decent offer and I can't see Rozehnal coming back either.

He says this shit all the time, just to get the fans etc to back him. Get rid, we dont need to waste our time with people who are over the hill and trying to prove themselves. Just get a new face in here, new face, new start.

Geremi looked excellent in pre-season. Many (including Brummie IIRC) reckoned he'd be the best value signing of the summer.

Aye you're right about that like, everyone was raving about Geremi in pre-season.

Even Smith scored then though... so I'm not sure non-competitive games can be used as a proper basis for judging players. In competitive football, Geremi was atrocious for the most part, but given his place in the team back under the new manager started to offer something to the team. Now, he's still not good enough for many to warrant a first team slot next season (myself included) but then I don't think he's as good a player as Duff is/was.

If Duff does stay, then people need to be open to giving him one last crack at the whip next term if his chance comes, that's my major point. But you know because many have made their minds up about him, he'll be villified for anything he does that isn't up to scratch, much like others have been recently. It must make it very difficult for players to perform when an atmosphere like that follows them (even if they have brought it upon themselves, to an extent.)

Like I've said, I'm not waving a banner for him to stay, but I won't mind if he does. I'm just not automatically confident in the current set-up to replace these players properly, because they've done nothing to prove themselves as of yet.

I can think of someone that's ten times the player Duff is, and is already here.

In fact his agent put a statement out just today. ;)

Ten times is a serious over-exaggeration :laugh:

Guest alex

Surprised anyone sees any potential left in him in all honesty. Junkhead is spot on imo.

In fairness, a lot of people had written Michael Owen off before his recent run of form, and the likes of Butt, Barton and Geremi were being called worse than shite by some as well. Now, I realise Geremi and Barton haven't become world-beaters or anything, but the improvement under KK has been remarkable. I'd just like to see the likes of Duff - and Milner to an extent - given the same chance that those players have, and if they don't do it, then ship them out. I suppose KK will know already whether he wants to keep them or not, like.

I just don't think players turn to shite, to be honest, I think he has enough class about him to be able to be effective again, but it's going to take a lot of hard work. Like Shak has said, it wasn't so much pace he relied on as his ability to "jink", for want of a better word. I think he still knows how to beat a man but a potential combination of a lack of confidence and a lack of playing time has seen him lose his spark. I think players have come back from being worse than him, honestly, and he's not a player I have anything personal against. Seems a good pro, seems to give a toss, and like Owen before him has put the graft in to get fit again after a horrendous injury.

I just don't like writing players off 100% when none of us really know what the overall craic is with them, bar what we see on the pitch.

I do accept that and you're right in a way. Duff has shown absolutely nothing in his time here that makes me think he's worth hnaging onto though.

I can think of someone that's ten times the player Duff is, and is already here.

In fact his agent put a statement out just today. ;)

Ten times is a serious over-exaggeration :laugh:

It's The Zog though man, you know how much people tend to over hype him.

I do accept that and you're right in a way. Duff has shown absolutely nothing in his time here that makes me think he's worth hnaging onto though.

That's fair enough as well, like I said I'm just exploring different avenues, trying to make people think a bit.

I appreciate the reply though, it's better than divertory nonsense about N'Zogbia and agents :razz:

Alright then, five times. Made ten by how shit Duff is. :lol:

See above, you mongazoid :laugh:

I'm off to start the Damien Duff fanclub. We should support footballers with down's.

Divertory; how dare you.

I made my point earlier - I don't think Duff deserves the chance, because he's NEVER shown anything for us. As Alex says, basically.

You then said you weren't sure we could bring someone better in, of which I mentioned there's someone already here who's superior (IMO, Jonny :la:) anyway.

Divertory; how dare you.

I made my point earlier - I don't think Duff deserves the chance, because he's NEVER shown anything for us. As Alex says, basically.

You then said you weren't sure we could bring someone better in, of which I mentioned there's someone already here who's superior (IMO, Jonny :la:) anyway.

Well it's obvious that Zoggy is better than Duff. Howay Dave.  :kermit: