Is there any way back for Damien Duff?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Second only to Alan Smith in the list of players I'd like to see leave. I don't understand why anyone would think he would be worth keeping as a squad player. It's not like you can throw him on and expect him to change a game in our favour is it? He carries next to no threat. His shooting is weak and inaccurate. How many assists has he got in his time here? Might as well send on someone like the much cheaper Lua Lua. He couldn't do any worse than Duff.

given the wage bill issue you'd imagine there are two major criteria for whether we keep a player or not this summer, or at least you'd hope there is: is he on big wages?  and is he doing it on the pitch?

if the answers for a player are yes & no then for me they go at all costs, if the answers yes & yes then they stay unless the manager wants rid, no & no up to the manager...

this can lead to no other conclusion than duff & smith have to go, carr has already gone for the those reasons, emre should go, maybe cacapa/rozenthal depending on wages...anyone else?

leads me to think the likes of milner/zog will stay unless the club CHOOSE to sell them on for the money to replace them with better players

that's my little insight into how i see things being run under ashley/mort, and i don't think it's a bad way to go...i think the days are gone when a manager can say i want to keep player 'x' when he's doing fuck all on the pitch and contributing to the poor financial state of the club - i feel sure this point will have been made to keegan during discussions, surely during the recent "crisis" meeting?

Off TalkSport:

15 May 2008

damien duff will be at sunderland next season after passing medical at a hosiptal in gateshead yesterday!!!!! you heard it here first

Heh, I'd love it if it was true.

Off TalkSport:

15 May 2008

damien duff will be at sunderland next season after passing medical at a hosiptal in gateshead yesterday!!!!! you heard it here first

"Sunderland in £15m double swoop for Smith and Duff" headlines would be better.

Off TalkSport:

15 May 2008

Damn why did you have to mention Talksport, never gonna happen now :(

Guest johnson293

From todays NUFC.com....

Location, location, location:

Damien: omen?

Appearing in the "you can't afford it so don't ask how much" section of a Tyneside estate agents is a property in the Morpeth area that looks uncannily like the one that a Mr D.Duff Esq has been residing in.

A sign of him moving on, or just moving home? The first one, hopefully!

Guest Heneage

If I saw some effort yes, but having watched him this season too many times he gives up and can't be arsed.

Guest Heneage

I had read on Sunderland Message Board after a mate passed me the link, that one of their "ITK" claimed Duff for £2.5M

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnson293

I know its the NOTW, but I hope theres some truth in this....

Newcastle winger cuts pay for Sunderland

DUFF'S TOP CAT

DAMIEN DUFF will get a chance to become Sunderland's highest-ever paid player, even though it means taking a £10,000-a-week wage cut.

Newcastle outcast Duff tops Roy Keane's summer hit-list as the ambitious Black Cats boss looks to splash a £50million transfer kitty.

Toon will off-load winger Duff, 29, for £5m to ease a staggering £10m wage bill.

And Sunderland will smash their wage structure to offer a club record £60,000-a-week — still £10,000 short of Duff's St James' Park take.

:celb:  :cheesy:

DUFF'S TOP CAT

DAMIEN DUFF will get a chance to become Sunderland's highest-ever paid player, even though it means taking a £10,000-a-week wage cut.

Newcastle outcast Duff tops Roy Keane's summer hit-list as the ambitious Black Cats boss looks to splash a £50million transfer kitty.

Toon will off-load winger Duff, 29, for £5m to ease a staggering £10m wage bill.

And Sunderland will smash their wage structure to offer a club record £60,000-a-week still £10,000 short of Duff's St James' Park take.

street party when that one goes through then!!!

DUFF'S TOP CAT

And Sunderland will smash their wage structure to offer a club record £60,000-a-week — still £10,000 short of Duff's St James' Park take.

Fuck if this true, there is a God after all, now all we need now is for Smith to fuck off and the summer is looking good already.

• 3 months later...

Duff the saviour!

Kinnear - Duff the man for Mags

Newcastle interim boss believes winger can be key player

Joe Kinnear has backed Damien Duff to help lift Newcastle out of the Premier League doldrums.

Interim manager Kinnear watched from the stands at St James' Park on Saturday as the Magpies suffered their fifth successive defeat, going down 2-1 to Blackburn Rovers.

The former Wimbledon, Luton and Nottingham Forest boss has been brought in by owner Mike Ashley on a short-term contract as he looks to sell the crisis-ridden North East outfit.

And having witnessed his first 90 minutes of his new charges in action, Kinnear has already identified fellow Dubliner Duff as a key man.

Ability

He said: "I thought Damien Duff was superb and got in some fantastic crosses. I said at half-time: 'Your outlet's Damien Duff - you need to give him the ball early'.

"He's got the ability to run at people, and he can pick out a pass as well. We don't want to be passing it to him when there's people marking him, but when the full-backs are dropping off.

"We want him to beat people, and have people on the end of his crosses.

"We had a half-chance with Geremi, and the crowd was buzzing. It was almost like the shackles were off.

"Duff tortured them down the left-hand side, and with 15-20 minutes left we should have gambled a bit more and overloaded the penalty box."

This is the biggest problem with new managers, it takes at least a month for the penny to drop that Duff is a gutless, hide n' seek con artist waiting for the next friendly against Hartlepool before he gets into the opposition penalty area.

it actually annoyed me that he was better after half time, what happened in the first half? did he forget how to play? he's a fucking disgrace, get rid

Never mind the first half, I've been to every home game in the time he's been here and Saturday was the second cross I've seen him put in. Laughed out loud when he was "man of the match" - Michael Owen should make a police complaint for theft over that one.