Henk ten Cate

maze

CHELSEA have continued their cull by axing assistant boss Henk ten Cate.

The Dutchman, 53, joined the club from Ajax in October to work alongside manager Avram Grant.

And with Grant removed from his role last weekend following defeat in the Champions League final, Ten Cate's future had looked decidedly shaky.

A club statement read: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm we have terminated Henk ten Cate's contract today. This follows a meeting this morning.

"As a result of the team management changes at Chelsea FC, and in the light of any forthcoming appointment, it was clear this was the correct decision for all parties.

"Everybody at Chelsea would like to thank Henk for his contribution since coming to the club last year."

Only yesterday Ten Cate claimed his job was not under threat.

He said: "Half an hour before Chelsea made the message about Grant officially known, I was called by the chief executive Peter Kenyon.

“He informed me that the departure of Grant will not affect me. I’d rather go on that. I have a contract until 2010.”

Despite those reassurances, Chelsea have opted for a clear-out of backroom staff ahead of appointing a new manager at Stamford Bridge.

After what he did at Barca, I think he might be able to do a good jobb for us.

What do you guys think, should Newcastle appoint ten Cate as backroom staff?

Forgot the link there, sorry: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1223652.ece

CHELSEA have continued their cull by axing assistant boss Henk ten Cate.

The Dutchman, 53, joined the club from Ajax in October to work alongside manager Avram Grant.

And with Grant removed from his role last weekend following defeat in the Champions League final, Ten Cate's future had looked decidedly shaky.

A club statement read: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm we have terminated Henk ten Cate's contract today. This follows a meeting this morning.

"As a result of the team management changes at Chelsea FC, and in the light of any forthcoming appointment, it was clear this was the correct decision for all parties.

"Everybody at Chelsea would like to thank Henk for his contribution since coming to the club last year."

Only yesterday Ten Cate claimed his job was not under threat.

He said: "Half an hour before Chelsea made the message about Grant officially known, I was called by the chief executive Peter Kenyon.

“He informed me that the departure of Grant will not affect me. I’d rather go on that. I have a contract until 2010.”

Despite those reassurances, Chelsea have opted for a clear-out of backroom staff ahead of appointing a new manager at Stamford Bridge.

After what he did at Barca, I think he might be able to do a good jobb for us.

What do you guys think, should Newcastle appoint ten Cate as backroom staff?

1.There's already a thread on this

2.He wouldn't come to us

:)

"Half an hour before Chelsea made the message about Grant officially known, I was called by the chief executive Peter Kenyon.

Nice.

First Team Manager job for him somewhere i reckon.

Was stupid to join chelsea after being first team manager at ajax anyway imo.

I just think it was bound to happen.

It was inevitable though i think, managers (usually) want there own staff

Guest getalife

"Half an hour before Chelsea made the message about Grant officially known, I was called by the chief executive Peter Kenyon.

Nice.

It was obvious he was on his way out as soon as he said "My job's safe....." earlier on in the week. Chelsea all over......

Supposedly he was called "Mad Dog" by the Chelsea players who didn;t like him.

He was brought in to play the Bad Cop to Steve Clarke's Good Cop, but took it too far.  I read that Ten Cate and John Terry ended up in a face-to-face screaming match after Ten Cate was spent a whole practice session in Moscow picking on Mikel.  Jerry got pissed at the unfair treatment of Mikel and went after Ten Cate who he thought was being unfair.

Don't think Terry Mac could handle Ten Cate  ;D

Guest Stephen927

Can this not be moved to the Chelsea thread?

The first time I see a guest posting.

Could have sworn Baggio posted that.

Notoriously abrasive character. Few incoming managers would want him around and the players, by all accounts, don't like him either. Unlikely to want to come here, and temperamentally unsuited to a Keegan-type set-up. He won't have any trouble finding a manager's job somewhere in Europe.

He was brought in to play the Bad Cop to Steve Clarke's Good Cop, but took it too far.  I read that Ten Cate and John Terry ended up in a face-to-face screaming match after Ten Cate was spent a whole practice session in Moscow picking on Mikel.  Jerry got pissed at the unfair treatment of Mikel and went after Ten Cate who he thought was being unfair.

Don't think Terry Mac could handle Ten Cate  ;D

He (reportedly!) told the players he was known as 'Mad Dog', which had the players laughing at him immediately, and he stormed out when they all started barking and growling at him, which if you picture the scene was probably pretty funny.

Don't think Terry Mac could handle Ten Cate   ;D

He (reportedly!) told the players he was known as 'Mad Dog', which had the players laughing at him immediately, and he stormed out when they all started barking and growling at him, which if you picture the scene was probably pretty funny.

stroppy git then really