Nigel Pearson sacked by Southampton

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Southampton have announced that Jan Poortvliet will take over from Nigel Pearson for the new Championship season.

Pearson was only appointed as manager at St Mary's in February and he succeeded in keeping the club out of the relegation zone on the final day of the season.

However, following this week's power change Southampton have decided not to renew Pearson's contract when it expires next month.

Former Holland player Poortvliet has now been named as head coach in what the club has described as a 'new continental set-up'.

Poortvliet, who has previously had spells in charge of Den Bosch, Roosendaal and Stormvogels Telstar in his homeland, will be joined by fellow Dutch coach Matt Wotte.

Southampton's new coaching programme which will also heavily involve reserve team boss Stewart Henderson and youth team coach Dave Hockaday.

Chairman Michael Wilde told the club's official website: "We are extremely grateful for Nigel's contribution. He came to the club at a time of crisis and through his hard work and commitment we were able to avoid relegation on the last day.

"However, the board have been looking closely at the situation on the playing side of the club whereby we are inevitably going to have to depend to a large extent on the quality of our youngsters in the academy and the reserve team.

"Our view on that was we would need to adopt a European-style coaching system comprising head coach, with the objective of linking the academy to the first team.

"The board believe this will create opportunities for our younger players, which might not occur within the traditional English management structure."

Dave Hockaday.  mackems.gif

Also - I give this set-up until Christmas, when Lowe gets bored of his failed experiment ala Woodward and Clifford. Go back to hockey.

Guest Stephen927

My Southampton supporting mate liked him. Will be interesting to see what he thinks of this new "continental set-up".

Speaking of sacking, lots of names I recognize now saying "guest" ... no update in house of the banned, what did I miss lads?

Alex & HTT are the only ones, Indi is being as naughty boy though and pretending.

:laugh:

Speaking of sacking, lots of names I recognize now saying "guest" ... no update in house of the banned, what did I miss lads?

Alex and JJC left the forum of their own accord, and CoachHTT has deleted his account for some reason.

Alex and JJC left the forum of their own accord, and CoachHTT has deleted his account for some reason.

Probably hit the wrong button.

Is currently trying to post and wondering WTF is going on?  bluelaugh.gif

Sad really....