Local charity to sponsor Villa for free

Guest Stephen927

Guest Stephen927

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7433169.stm

Aston Villa have announced a shirt partnership with West Midlands-based charity Acorns Children's Hospice.

The deal will see the charity's logo being carried on the club's shirts for free throughout the 2008/9 season.

The Premier League's chief executive Richard Scudamore said the deal was the first of its kind in the top flight.

"Credit must go to Villa for being the first Premier League club to use its shirt sponsor to highlight and promote its charity partnership," he said.

"I am sure Acorns' association with Aston Villa will be of great help in raising awareness and funds for all the excellent work they undertake.

"The power of football and the power of the Premier League has long been something that companies have tapped into to reach audiences throughout the country and increasingly, across the globe."

Acorns, which was established in 1983, cares for life-limited children and their families in the Midlands.

The charity has three hospices across the region, in Birmingham, Walsall and Worcester.

Villa have supported Acorns since 2006 and offered a sponsorship deal after being told Acorns needed to care for an extra 1,000 children.

:clap:

Good for them. Didnt Barcelona do something similar last season?

Great deal. Their chairman is doing an excellent job there.

Good PR for the club, and more importantly, helps the charity too.  :thup:

I seem to remember it was mentioned before.

The club also handed out free strips to thousands of fans at the last Villa home game, which is a bit of an improvement on our free scarves.

I don't think the Villa owners even own a sports clothing company with turnover in the billions.

Guest Stephen927

Good for them. Didnt Barcelona do something similar last season?

Great deal. Their chairman is doing an excellent job there.

Good PR for the club, and more importantly, helps the charity too.  :thup:

Yes they were sponsored by UNICEF.

I'm not sure, it's probably been mentioned by Brummie but this is the first I've heard of it and thought it was yet again top work by Lerner. He's impressed me a lot.

EDIT: Oops spelt sponsor wrong in the thread title.

EDIT2: Cheers whoever fixed it.  :thup:

The club also handed out free strips to thousands of fans at the last Villa home game, which is a bit of an improvement on our free scarves.

I don't think the Villa owners even own a sports clothing company with turnover in the billions.

It wasn't the club who handed the shirts out.

It was Olof Mellberg in his last game, he bought 3200 of them and gave one to every Villa fan at Upton Park, paid for them himself, with Mellberg - Thanks For Your Support on the back.

I think maybe they should have took the potential 1 million a season and donate say 50% of that instead.

I was watching something about this on the news today and i just think them saying its not the money its about the name getting out there, maybe they could just put it on the sponsor boards aswell?

meh

I think maybe they should have took the potential 1 million a season and donate say 50% of that instead.

I was watching something about this on the news today and i just think them saying its not the money its about the name getting out there, maybe they could just put it on the sponsor boards aswell?

meh

Give a man a fish

He eats for a day

Teach him how to fish

He eats forever.

Arrested Development, 1993.

It was Olof Mellberg in his last game, he bought 3200 of them and gave one to every Villa fan at Upton Park, paid for them himself, with Mellberg - Thanks For Your Support on the back.

Shit.

That's an awesome gesture from him.

If only there were more people like him in football.

top club villa imo, they do things right and are starting to look a very impressive outfit as a club as a whole, this charity thing, the mellberg gesture, the free buses on for fans by lermer, all very good stuff.

well done.

meh

Give a man a fish

He eats for a day

Teach him how to fish

He eats forever.

Arrested Development, 1993.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/74c60962fb.gif

:laugh:

top club villa imo, they do things right and are starting to look a very impressive outfit as a club as a whole, this charity thing, the mellberg gesture, the free buses on for fans by lermer, all very good stuff.

well done.

I'm as cynical as they get, but i can't fault the new regime, they've been very classy in everything they've done so far.

After the Ellis years it has been incredibly refreshing.

well done.

this

Jesus Christ!! Can we have a fucking Villa forum, so we don't have to read and post in threads like this and generally be forced to talk about other clubs at gunpoint!!!!!! :angry:

Guest Stephen927

Jesus Christ!! Can we have a f***ing Villa forum, so we don't have to read and post in threads like this and generally be forced to talk about other clubs at gunpoint!!!!!! :angry:

Can we have it so everyone signed up on here promises never to leave this site or look at any other website.

We're gonna isolate ourselves like Ferdinand and Isabella did in Spain, with no Protestant literature coming into the country (in this case other clubs information coming into the forum).

WHOS WITH ME!

(notice the A Level history reference  :lol:)

Guest Toepoke

As horrible as it sounds I hope we don't do this, we need the money and charities tend to have pure shite logos.

What a great thing to do! good man.