The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Fucking hell bobyule. What did he do tonight? You've been incredibly generic in the match thread - "he held our attacks together" and "deserved credit", but tell me, what did he actually do?

I saw him touch the ball once in the second half, and spending his time either not challenging for headers, or missing the unchallenged headers by about a foot because he has no anticipation whatsoever.

Well he set Lovenkrands up with a very good pass in the first 10 minutes, and got the free kick which led to our goal. Those were his best moments, but in general he got himself involved and battled hard with his marker - won some, lost some, gave some frees away, got some. He did tire in the second half, yes.

He was playing in a difficult position, and got very little support. We were being overrun for a lot of the game, and he was our only outlet. We were having to resort to long balls, and it's difficult for a player to shine in that situation. He did a decent enough job.

By comparison, Lovenkrands barely got involved at all, despite his well taken goal. Carroll, when he came on, was ineffective. We were really up against it.

Shola can look extremely clumsy at times, and many people get angry at him as a result. But all this stuff about 'he did nothing' and 'he's completely useless' is ridiculous.

The blokes built like a heavyweight boxer yet is on his arse if so much as brushed by a defender. Inexplicably weak.

This is a complete mystery to me. He has bulked up so much over the years you would think he would be a terrific athlete with fantastic strength and thunderous pace. In reality he is weak as piss. When I think of Shola I think about how we as a club are slowly being dragged down to his level as a sort of penalty for not replacing him by somebody decent earlier and still having to rely on him (thanks for giving him a new 3 year contract Joe) - a sort of voodoo spell, bad mojo or whatever... Based on his performance tonight it looks like we have some way to go yet in our fall from grace.. :(

Since he came back from his injury in 2007 with a much bigger build he's been absolutely terrible for the most part. Became even slower and less agile.

That said, he's still our best striker imo. He needs to go in the summer though, like half the team.

absolutely f*** all movement off the ball.

Also we'd clear their corners and begin to move out, and this cretin was still strolling out of the D.

to be fair when we cleared any dead ball out the only player who ran out was mcloven. at least twice we broke to the edge of their box with smith still between our centre halves.

absolutely f*** all movement off the ball.

Also we'd clear their corners and begin to move out, and this cretin was still strolling out of the D.

to be fair when we cleared any dead ball out the only player who ran out was mcloven. at least twice we broke to the edge of their box with smith still between our centre halves.

True, but Shola's a centre forward.  No excuse for taking up the position you'd expect your centre halves to be pushing up to.

I am very firm believer in the idea that people think Shola played 10x worse than he actually did, simply because it's Shola.

has happenned for years and never understood it, hes no world beater, but hes good with the ability to cock it up, he has ability and strength, a bit like bramble, highly underrated.

I am very firm believer in the idea that people think Shola played 10x worse than he actually did, simply because it's Shola.

has happenned for years and never understood it, hes no world beater, but hes good with the ability to cock it up, he has ability and strength, a bit like bramble, highly underrated.

I agree. Harewood was made a scapegoat straight away too, and pretty much got stick for everything he did when in reality he wasn't any worse than Carroll or Ranger. I'm beginning to find a complex here...